Ranked by D1Baseball

Absolutely. Not sure who was arguing against you, but they must not follow college baseball.

The NCAA always attempts to favor certain regions (either due to the schools' frigid locations, or to bolster geographic areas experiencing "downturns"). The NCAA continually favors the Midwest and Northeast as much as possible. College baseball is floundering in California at present. They have great talent, but former "university stalwarts" are simply not producing....

Prior to 2015, the NCAA always took geographic location into consideration, which was completely asinine... It was much worse in the past. We had an RPI of #8 on 5/24/2010 and won our regional; and the NCAA had already placed us in the Florida Super Regional - with Florida being #2 in RPI in the country. Egregious!

Good point on georgraphy playing a factor.

West coast teams almost always get favorable treatment from the selection committee. Over the past 5 years, 1 SEC/ACC team (Clemson in 2015) has gotten an at-large bid with a +50 RPI. Meanwhile there has been a +50 RPI team from the Pac-12 each of the last 5 years.

Advertisement

West coast teams almost always get favorable treatment from the selection committee. Over the past 5 years, 1 SEC/ACC team (Clemson in 2015) has gotten an at-large bid with a +50 RPI. Meanwhile there has been a +50 RPI team from the Pac-12 each of the last 5 years.

Berkeley dropped its baseball program during 2010 and re-instituted it the following year. They are now the third highest team in California next to UCLA and Stanford. The Dirtbags, Pepperdine (who won a championship long ago), Loyola marymount, Fullerton (4x champion) and USC (14x champion) will all not make the tournament during 2019. I do not understand what is wrong with these schools.

Pepperdine has a high-school stadium on arguably the most beautiful location in the entire state. They own the land and generate millions from their Executive MBA program. They could easily be a perennial top-20 school. They need an elite coach and an elite stadium. Fullerton has elite facilities. UCLA is now a "power" and Los Angeles owns their field. UCLA's diamond is an abomination. Stanford recently decided to devote capital to baseball, but their stadium is worse than ours....

Facilities for golf, water polo, tennis and volleyball are better at these schools than for baseball. Attendance at volleyball, tennis and water polo is comparable to that of baseball. I have been to UCLA games against Arizona State where they had 500 fans (and the NCAA published attendance for that game was ~3,000).

Really sad what is happening to UCLA baseball.

I don't get it either. Maybe he's a great man, but he comes across to me as this Andy Griffith, aw shucks type. And a lot of it seems like an act. I thought he should have been fired after the Regional debacle last year.
Hes a Cane Hating *******

What would you consider a success?

Win ACC tournament
Host regional
Advance to super
Host super
Advance to CWS
Advance to championship
Win CWS

Advertisement
What would you consider a success?

Win ACC tournament
Host regional
Advance to super
Host super
Advance to CWS
Advance to championship
Win CWS

Am a huge "homer". We won 14 more games than last year and will be elite in 2020 and 2021. Am already thrilled. They took me to Mark Light as a toddler in 1979.... This season is already a huge success.

Advertisement

This is exactly what I was talking about. The committee wants there to be baseball outside of the southeast to still be played come June. Unfortunately for them, UCLA and CSF only shows up once every 4 or 5 years with a contender.

The problem, though, is that the west coast is holding their own pretty nicely despite the claims that they only have a few teams that deserve to get in. I mean, the RPI isn’t gospel. If we go by the RPI, Tennessee is a borderline national seed even thought they’re under .500 in the SEC in like 10th place.

This is exactly what I was talking about. The committee wants there to be baseball outside of the southeast to still be played come June. Unfortunately for them, UCLA and CSF only shows up once every 4 or 5 years with a contender.

Fullerton has competed consistently. [Am befuddled about their poor 2019.]

The entire state of California only has 2 teams at present that should make the tournament on the basis of RPI (maybe a 3rd). You could make an argument for 8 teams from the ACC alone to make the tournament.

I spoke to coaches in Los Angeles and they said that it is still the second best region to source players from in the country on the basis of "number of players". They say that South Florida produces the best talent, however. They lament the poor support from the universities. Barring Stanford, USC and UCLA, public universities in California receive much less alumni support than the SEC does. Sports are not as much of a priority and student attendance is plummeting.

UM should recruit from California more. It is a wealthier state and LA is similar to Miami. Look at what happened with Braun....

Fullerton has competed consistently. [Am befuddled about their poor 2019.]

The entire state of California only has 2 teams at present that should make the tournament on the basis of RPI (maybe a 3rd). You could make an argument for 8 teams from the ACC alone to make the tournament.

I spoke to coaches in Los Angeles and they said that it is still the second best region to source players from in the country on the basis of "number of players". They say that South Florida produces the best talent, however. They lament the poor support from the universities. Barring Stanford, USC and UCLA, public universities in California receive much less alumni support than the SEC does. Sports are not as much of a priority and student attendance is plummeting.

UM should recruit from California more. It is a wealthier state and LA is similar to Miami. Look at what happened with Braun....

As a whole the state of California is a dumpster fire. Couple that with lack of support, massive fields, lackluster hitting and a reliance on dominant pitching staffs and it’s a recipe for disaster

Advertisement
The problem, though, is that the west coast is holding their own pretty nicely despite the claims that they only have a few teams that deserve to get in. I mean, the RPI isn’t gospel. If we go by the RPI, Tennessee is a borderline national seed even thought they’re under .500 in the SEC in like 10th place.

I agree the RPI isn’t gospel. Tennessee is not even close to a National seed, but unlike other sports you could legitimately make the claim that most of the ACC and SEC would dominate in any other conference. There is no perception issue in college baseball when it comes to talent. The SEC and ACC are far and above the best leagues and it isnt close.

Advertisement
This quote is still gold.

Funny how every other program gets a different standard from you, except ours (well Miami's, not your Gators).

John Savage has missed the post-season 3 times in the last 9 years, and hasnt made it out of a Regional since 2013.

If he had those results here you'd have 1,000 posts a day telling us what a complete failure he is

Advertisement
Back