QB decision

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mario forcing the triple option onto CIS next year:

IMG_2695.gif

Advertisement
Howard is a safe choice but he's limited as far as his accuracy and he can't make all the throws on the field. He also throws quite a few picks. I think we win 9 games with Howard which maybe is enough, but Ward would have gotten us in the playoff I think and probably cut a year or two off the rebuild time for this program.

The difference between Howard and Ward probably sets us back 2 years, I would guess. It's not a small difference.
so it's about turnovers?

cam ward throws 7 picks, fumbles 12 times (loses 8 of them) for 15 total turnovers

but Howard's 1 year of 10 picks is super concerning and sets us back two years? fumbles are worse than interceptions, field position-wise

Nope. Wrong.

Nothing wrong with rallying behind the QB if it's Howard, but Ward was the prize. Getting Ward cuts about two years out of the rebuild time compared to Howard.

I think we can win 9 games with Howard, I'm just not sure that's enough to keep us on track and especially with all the realignment stuff going on, would have preferred us to swing big with the NIL... invest now, and be better positioned in the future.

Advertisement
Ward isn’t a fit for Mario’s offenses. You can hate that, and I do. But Mario isn’t changing the offense for him.
Mario has never had an offense that ranked high in passing explosive rate. If his offenses don’t suck, it’s because they rank high in down to down success rate thanks to running game.

Howard is who gets you that.

Mario wants his offenses to be closer to 2017 Clemson with Bryant at QB than the Watson or Lawrence versions.

Advertisement
Howard is the more ready and polished Qb. Film doesn’t lie. I mean yes with Ward it would make headlines but Fock that diva drama I’ll get back to you coaches I need to think about it BS! Fock that Howard is the right choice. Now we got a Qb if it’s him

Film doesn't lie. Ward is far more polished and ready. He makes better decisions in the pocket and he can make all the throws, and he has a quick release. He's more mobile in the pocket. He's a better quarterback physically and mentally.

You guys are in coping mode.

Past offseason on CIS:
"TVD ain't a leader. Doesn't play with emotion, doesn't show emotion on the field. He's weak."

Insiders on CIS:
"Leaders don't need to show emotion on the field, TVD has shown he's a leader. blah blah blah"

**TVD proceeds to meltdown mentally. Completely checks out**

Now we're getting a QB who plays with fire and a little bit of that QB ******* attitude. Exactly what we needed. When was the last times had a QB that got fired up and talked their ****? Rosier?

Howard is a leader and plays with a "**** it, we ball" approach that y'all gonna love next fall.

In the words of Patches O'Houlian, there's no crying in the breast milk.

Advertisement
I'm sure some feel that way. IMO if you say these are my top two and the first to say yes gets it and it's one of those two who you end up with...I would not exactly call it a miss. I get Ward is the better QB so I understand why some would risk it waiting for him. Just dont think you have that luxury. JMO

I look at it like this.... Howard gets us 9 wins. Not getting Howard, missing on everyone, and rolling with Jacurri gets us 7. What's the big difference?

Ward gets us in the playoff hunt. I'd rather have a 50/50 shot of making the playoffs or winning 7, vs 100% chance of winning 9.

Howard is a safe choice but he's limited as far as his accuracy and he can't make all the throws on the field. He also throws quite a few picks. I think we win 9 games with Howard which maybe is enough, but Ward would have gotten us in the playoff I think and probably cut a year or two off the rebuild time for this program.

The difference between Howard and Ward probably sets us back 2 years, I would guess. It's not a small difference.
Disagree a little here. He definitely can make every throw. He can fit tight windows, throws a pretty deep ball, not afraid to throw deep middle. Yeah his accuracy isn't as consistent you want it to be and he takes risks cause he's confident in his arm which leads to turnovers.

Ward is def the more polish passer. I don't think Howard is a slouch, and I'm excited to see what Dawson can do with him.

Advertisement
so it's about turnovers?

cam ward throws 7 picks, fumbles 12 times (loses 8 of them) for 15 total turnovers

but Howard's 1 year of 10 picks is super concerning and sets us back two years? fumbles are worse than interceptions, field position-wise

It's not, it's about Ward being a better QB all around. Better decision maker, can make all the throws (Howard is limited arm strength with poor accuracy), quicker release, and better pocket presence. He was also throwing in to more difficult coverages than Howard, since K State actualy run the ball decently.

I don't like the fumbles either, but that's correctable. Throwing 10 picks because of a lack of accuracy/arm strength/ field vision is a lot harder to correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back