Proof's in the pudding, but I'm encouraged about MD as our DC because of this quote..

Manny might not be able to do alot of things right..but one thing we know he can do is be an elite DC especially when he has Shoop, Simpson, T-Rob, and T-Will having his back. I would rather him do it himself then bring in some DC that isnt ready for the job. We dont need another Baker experiment.. The list of potential DCs was extremely short to begin with.
The problem with your thinking is it ignores that his job and title is head coach, not DC. Maybe he can be a good DC. Then find someone else to be head coach. Unless you think the head coach is a ceremonial role, your explanation doesn't tell me how Manny will succeed as head coach. You say we don't need another Baker experiment. Okay. I'll see your Baker analogy and raise you Coker, Shannon, Golden and Richt. We don't need any more failed head coaches. If Manny can't find a capable DC, that's a huge indictment of him as a HC to begin with.

Advertisement
OK but it's been proven many times that it can be done. Just because you think he should have delegated the DC responsibilities to someone else, and I do as well, has zero bearing about whether or not him doing it himself will work.

My point is, this isn't something that's never been done before. Will he be successful? Who knows? But I feel a lot better about him doing something that's somewhat commonplace in the college game vs if he was doing something insane that has never been attempted.
I haven't once said it's 'never been done.' I've observed it's harder. I've observed Manny hasn't even shown he's good at being a head coach, so adding to his plate seems risky. I've observed that the UM HC job is harder than most, as well, because of our institutional and infrastructure shortcomings that need to be addressed. Just because someone elsewhere did something sometime under different circumstances doesn't support a logical argument that that's what Manny should do here.

I hope it works. I like our new D staff hires. I think he'd make a lot more progress on other aspects of the program if he didn't saddle himself with DC responsibilities, also. He's made it clear he fails if the D is sub-par, so you can be sure he's going to allocate a lot of time and energy to that area. Time and energy are scarce and so that takes away from other things he could otherwise accomplish. People will judge him based on the D. I'm saying something else entirely. I assume he'll improve the D. I want to see him be an overall program builder and leader, not a reactive problem solver.

Lmao I’ve hear it all now man, you just compared a super bowl winning coach who will probably win another one this coming Sunday to Manure “rush the ball done my throat through my ****” Diaz? Wow man, you’ve really gone off the deep end with your agenda with this one. 😳 I’m worried now but I’ll will screenshot this post of yours for future reference. Smh

I didn’t compare him to anyone the other poster did.

The problem with your thinking is it ignores that his job and title is head coach, not DC. Maybe he can be a good DC. Then find someone else to be head coach. Unless you think the head coach is a ceremonial role, your explanation doesn't tell me how Manny will succeed as head coach. You say we don't need another Baker experiment. Okay. I'll see your Baker analogy and raise you Coker, Shannon, Golden and Richt. We don't need any more failed head coaches. If Manny can't find a capable DC, that's a huge indictment of him as a HC to begin with.
Your thinking like this is the 80s-90s. Times have changed. HCs are winning national championships by being OCs now. I agree it hasnt been done on the defensive side..but ill say again, I would rather him do it himself knowing he has proven he can be elite at it then bring in some guy to fill a coaching spot as DC and its another Blake Baker situation. If he couldnt get who he wanted, ***** it. You just want to bring in anybody and that is not my idea of a great hire. He brought in elite assistants at every position on defense. You cant follow that up some an average hire at DC.

Advertisement
If don’t like Manny Diaz you should be loving this. This dude is putting all his chips on the table and saying the buck stops with me. If we suck next year and get embarrassed in big games like last year he is out of here. But if he turns this motherrucker around and we go
12-1 or 11-2 we have to give credit where credit is due. Whether your Mopesqaud or Slurpergang the truth will reveal Itself in due time. See y’all in six months I’m out!!!
Agreed, he has identified weaknesses in both off-seasons and done what he needs to do to address issues. At the end of the day he wants to be in control of his fate and while I may ultimately disagree with him I also can't fault him for going all in on himself.

And how is this different than HC's who call plays on offense? I realize defensive-minded HC's typically don't call their own plays but if he's going down, he's going down his way.

Reasoning by anecdote can get you anywhere. Most of those places are illogical.
Ryan Day and Lincoln Riley call their own plays, too. That's three guys in the Top 6 alone.

Just because it worked for them doesn't mean it will work for us. But you make it seem like it's an inherently flawed model. I don't think that's true. It works for some, not for others, and some guys (like Brian Kelly) vacillate back and forth depending on the circumstances.

I disagree with unc being the real test. Everybody hanging on to that last game but that shît was a blimp. Unc offense was good but they had a lot of help in looking as good as they did that day
The embarrassing UNC loss was 99% scheme. I admit immediately after the game I emotionally blamed the players. When I watched several people break down how Mack Brown exposed Diaz's scheme from a technical perspective, it made me even more angry with Diaz because the players were getting the blame for the coaches poor game plan and lack of adjustments. He needed to take full responsibility and put the blame on himself and his coaching staff. A few simple adjustments could have shut or slowed down UNC's run game.

We are a vertical rush defensive line. It's great for tackles for loss, but it creates holes that last year's LBs couldn't fill. Even with better LBs against UNC, the same result would have happened. Manny has to be able to adjust on the fly to counter when his opponent is successfully doing something they haven't seen before. I think he realized the lack of/poor self scouting an scheming out our opponents. That's why he brought in Bob Shoop. Shoop can break down the UNC game and recommend schematic changes for the type of plays UNC runs. Hopefully Shoop is in the booth on Saturdays helping Manny make adjustments.

We don't win the Coastal without beating UNC. They have the best offense in the Coastal and 2nd best offense in the ACC.

So, UNC is the test.

Last edited:
Advertisement
It’s crazy how dudes wanna be right so bad, even if it means the hurricanes looking like hot garbage

It wouldn’t be as bad if their “solution” coaches weren’t producing hot garbage most Saturdays

We are a vertical rush defensive line. It's great for tackles for loss, but it creates holes that last year's LBs couldn't fill. Even with better LBs against UNC, the same result would have happened. Manny has to be able to adjust on the fly to counter when his opponent is successfully doing something they haven't seen before. I think he realized the lack of self scouting an scheming out our opponents. That's why he brought in Bob Shoop. Shoop can break down the UNC game and recommend schematic changes for the type of plays UNC runs. Hopefully Shoop is in the booth on Saturdays helping Manny make adjustments.
We don't win the Coastal without beating UNC. They have the best offense in the Coastal and 2nd best offense in the ACC.

So, UNC is the test
in 2019 vs that same unc offense it was a 3 point game. Out gained unc by 100 yards and still lost. And you can win the coastal without beating them. Miami finished ahead of unc in the acc standings. If the divisions was still in place miami would’ve won the coastal.

I'd prefer to have heard him say 'I know my job is head coach and there's a lot I have to look after in that role. So while my background as a DC tempts me to try to micromanage that function, I know that it's not the right thing for me to do. Accordingly, I'm appointing ____ DC.'

All of that.

Manny can be all in and delegate or even trust the other coaches to do their job. You can coach up the position groups, but if your defense is whack (I think Diaz, if he doesn't change it up, qualifies) then it doesn't matter what those position guys are doing. The defense will continue to get beat.

Advertisement
does anyone have the quote where Manny admits that he's learning on the job and that he's consulting with other HBC about how to be both a HBC and a coordinator?

Ryan Day and Lincoln Riley call their own plays, too. That's three guys in the Top 6 alone.

Just because it worked for them doesn't mean it will work for us. But you make it seem like it's an inherently flawed model. I don't think that's true. It works for some, not for others, and some guys (like Brian Kelly) vacillate back and forth depending on the circumstances.

People just love being difficult around here.

Advertisement

I just don't know if Manny is a top 6 HC/Coordinator though. With Miami's local talent, you don't need to be an elite coordinator to win, but you do need to be good. So maybe Manny can pull it off. It's just adding unnecessary uncertainty. At this point, we're running the experiment whether we want to or not.

My biggest concern is that his scheme relies too heavily on the linebackers, and as of right now we don't even have one reliable LB to pull it off. Obviously that could change. But I'd want a Lewis or Vilma or Perryman or Spence out there with elite instincts and 4.5 speed. We are far from that benchmark.

in 2019 vs that same unc offense it was a 3 point game. Out gained unc by 100 yards and still lost. And you can win the coastal without beating them. Miami finished ahead of unc in the acc standings. If the divisions was still in place miami would’ve won the coastal.
No they wouldn’t have. Unc losing to ND counted as a conf loss this year. In a normal year it doesn’t and unc has the tiebreaker and is coastal champ

No they wouldn’t have. Unc losing to ND counted as a conf loss this year. In a normal year it doesn’t and unc has the tiebreaker and is coastal champ
In a normal year we wouldn’t have played Clemson either. Had there been divisions we would have had 2 losses to UNC’s 3.

Certainly that's one way (and traditional) of doing it but it's not the only way...he now has Stroud and Shoop has his own capable and experienced personal assistants to delegate HC administrative duties and also assist with scouting and analysis on defense. On offense he has Lashlee handling it all.

It may or may not work, but he has the infrastructure in place that he may be able to take on the role of DC and have help with the other stuff related to HC. We'll see if it works but it at least on paper it seems viable.
That's a theory, I agree.

I'm always skeptical of people who delegate before they prove they can do. In this case, it's not the do the DC job I'm focused on, but do the HC job of managing the DC. He's creating a weird lack of accountability if he has multiple analysts, an AHC, a maybe co-DC in T Rob, and himself in the middle. IMO.

Also, I don't think two people count as infrastructure. Directionally it's positive, but infrastructure means more than a couple people. I don't think we're anywhere near bright on infrastructure.

Advertisement
Back