Proof's in the pudding, but I'm encouraged about MD as our DC because of this quote..

Do you honestly believe that any of the new hires took this job to be told exactly what to do? The whole reason you hire people with experience is so you don't have to baby sit them. I am certain there are ground rules and structure but "credibility and respect" means you let them do things there way. I own a repair business. We have certain rules and policies that everyone follows, mostly for safety. If I hire a technician with a lot of experience, I'm not doing it so I can show him how to do everything. Just like with coaches, experienced techs aren't going to take a job where they're going to be micromanaged and told how to do their jobs. They have better options.
Can you read? Where have I ever said this? You and others are inventing ridiculous strawmen arguments, attributing them to me, then attacking them. It's dumb. For the 100th time, there's a huge difference between being told 'exactly what to do' and being left to 'do whatever you want.' 100% of reality is the in-between. None of your discussion is. You may hope they're left alone, but it's not really how it works.

Also, the idea that managing = baby-sitting is just wrong. Good managers manage people. They set goals and guidelines and processes. They check in, ask questions, test logic. They learn and change and adapt. They teach. They communicate. They build consensus so the organization embraces the decisions as a whole. Credibility and respect doesn't mean you abdicate leadership and responsibility. Your phrasing is silly.

Advertisement
But old Richt was a bad OC and his son was a bad QB coach. Manny was a good DC a couple years ago. Doesn't mean it will work, but different situations.

The aspirational goal would be Gary Patterson at TCU. He calls defensive plays, he doesn't have blue-blood infrastructure and he's made it work.
Yeah, I've said that Richt wanting to be OC should have disqualified him from being hired, so I don't disagree on your first comment.

Patterson may be a good aspirational goal.

I personally believe Miami has a big need to professionalize its organizational approach, and would rather see manny take that on then dive back into his 'comfort zone.' But it is what it is. I think we'll see a better D. I just want to see enough progress elsewhere, too.

"I’m going to be the defensive coordinator,” Diaz said. “I have guys on the staff I can delegate things to. But for this to work out, I have to go all in. "

Yes, I know that HC's are notorious for saying anything, but I've got a good feeling about this situation. Certainly a better feeling than I've had since he quit being DC two years ago.

One of my biggest concerns was not being all in. I think he will be and will delegate the rest. Carroll won 2 NC's arguably, while being HC and DC.

Also, if Shoop handles his business, then I could see him taking over as DC moving forward.

Not that J Phillips was ever coming back, but if he had decided to return...man, I would REALLY be drinking the coolaid for the coming season. This is the most excited I've been in a while. Manny really might be bringing us back. Thank God we're not in the SEC so we have space to improve and build. Anyway, I think we will win 10 games barring a rash of injuries at key positions.
Let's just hope that the anonymous comments from coaches over the years about Manny being a defensive legend in his own mind were simply off the mark.

The main event tag team match set for September 2021?

In the Orange and Green corner: Manny Diaz & Manny Diaz

In the Red and White corner: Nick Saban & Bill O'Brien

I think we already have them on the run via the intimidation factor...JMO.

I agree, but that's a heck of an indictment of him that he didn't 'realize' this until he repeatedly experienced the fat bulbous head of Mack Browns trouser snake live on national TV. He's a DC for cripes sake! How could he not know that already?
IDK, but we all saw the game and UM had no answer. More of they didn't even try to play a different coverage which means everything they prepared for was not what they expected UNC to do. They stayed with their 4-2-5. They were so scared of the UNC passing game that they provide zero run support from the safeties. ****, I'll play 9 in the box with corners on an island if I have to to stop a running game that was averaging 10 yds/play BEFORE contact. A passing play has a chance to be incomplete. Diaz and Baker didn't take anything away.

I'm less worried seeing how the staff shook out. Bob Shoop is as overqualified as any defensive analyst in the nation. Williams and Robinson have co-DC experience in the SEC. Stroud is serving as a true Chief of Staff.

If Manny fails, I suspect it will be more due to his own deficiencies as opposed to being stretched too thin. My guess is he looks at this as a short-term turnaround before handing off playcalling duties to someone else.
But why not now, D? Any idea? Because handing in playcalling duties a year or two from now will appear to be a concession.

I've never viewed Manny as arrogant, but this comes across as "I call defense better than anyone else I know."

Advertisement
IDK, but we all saw the game and UM had no answer. More of they didn't even try to play a different coverage which means everything they prepared for was not what they expected UNC to do. They stayed with their 4-2-5. They were so scared of the UNC passing game that they provide zero run support from the safeties. ****, I'll play 9 in the box with corners on an island if I have to to stop a running game that was averaging 10 yds/play BEFORE contact. A passing play has a chance to be incomplete. Diaz and Baker didn't take anything away.
If I didn't know better, I'd think the lack of defensive adjustments was evidence of something shady.

If I didn't know better, I'd think the lack of defensive adjustments was evidence of something shady.
I think they were all just in shock and denial. Easily, you tape the game and have a guy like Shoop analyze in real time in the booth so that you stop what they are doing in the very next possession. That's real-time game adjustments.

No they wouldn’t have. Unc losing to ND counted as a conf loss this year. In a normal year it doesn’t and unc has the tiebreaker and is coastal champ
You are still wrong because if you doing that then on the original schedule we didn’t have to play clemson so that’s one less loss and like I said we still win the coastal

Advertisement
But why not now, D? Any idea? Because handing in playcalling duties a year or two from now will appear to be a concession.

I've never viewed Manny as arrogant, but this comes across as "I call defense better than anyone else I know."
He hired a defensive playcaller when he first got the job, so I suspect that's his ideal set up. Baker would still be calling plays if we played better defense. Maybe he wants to turn it around and hand it off when the defense is in better shape talent-wise.

It could make for an interesting dynamic on the staff. Guys like Shoop, TRob, TWill and Simpson might be competing for the job.

He hired a defensive playcaller when he first got the job, so I suspect that's his ideal set up. Baker would still be calling plays if we played better defense. Maybe he wants to turn it around and hand it off when the defense is in better shape talent-wise.

It could make for an interesting dynamic on the staff. Guys like Shoop, TRob, TWill and Simpson might be competing for the job.
If it is Shoop which present staff member is gone? Patke?

That's a theory, I agree.

I'm always skeptical of people who delegate before they prove they can do. In this case, it's not the do the DC job I'm focused on, but do the HC job of managing the DC. He's creating a weird lack of accountability if he has multiple analysts, an AHC, a maybe co-DC in T Rob, and himself in the middle. IMO.

Also, I don't think two people count as infrastructure. Directionally it's positive, but infrastructure means more than a couple people. I don't think we're anywhere near bright on infrastructure.
I'm counting more than just 2 people. The quality of assts. across the board factors in imo. You have former HCs and coordinators in the mix of position coaches. A defensive analyst/consultant who has 30 years of experience. A HOF Chief Of Staff that acts as a consultant on culture and chemistry of the team. So it's not so much quantity (you are only allowed so many coaches) but the quality.

As far as accountability, it seems he is taking control of the defense so the buck stops there. Of course, if this kind of staff structure doesn't pan out, he's the guy who created it.

I agree it's a bit unorthodox, but it can work in theory. I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Advertisement
"I’m going to be the defensive coordinator,” Diaz said. “I have guys on the staff I can delegate things to. But for this to work out, I have to go all in. "

Yes, I know that HC's are notorious for saying anything, but I've got a good feeling about this situation. Certainly a better feeling than I've had since he quit being DC two years ago.

One of my biggest concerns was not being all in. I think he will be and will delegate the rest. Carroll won 2 NC's arguably, while being HC and DC.

Also, if Shoop handles his business, then I could see him taking over as DC moving forward.

Not that J Phillips was ever coming back, but if he had decided to return...man, I would REALLY be drinking the coolaid for the coming season. This is the most excited I've been in a while. Manny really might be bringing us back. Thank God we're not in the SEC so we have space to improve and build. Anyway, I think we will win 10 games barring a rash of injuries at key positions.

My big apprehension with any HC who acts as a DC/OC is them being too focused on the playcalling and game planning that some of the HC responsibilities/obligations suffer. So to me, this quote was more cause for concern than relief.

"[F]or this to work out, I have to go all in." If Manny is really "all in" at defensive coordinator, how can he be "all in" at head coach? If I had to pick, I'd rather my HC be "all in" at HC. Hire a DC to be "all in" at DC.

I will give the man some respect for putting it all on himself, though. There won't be anyone for him to point to if this fails. On the flip side, he'll deserve every ounce of praise if his plan succeeds. As a Cane, I have to hope he knows wtf he's doing on this one. We'll all know soon enough.

If don’t like Manny Diaz you should be loving this. This dude is putting all his chips on the table and saying the buck stops with me....
I've been full circle: From "I'll wait and see" to "I hate this guy" to "He needs to go" to "Maybe this will work out." But these admissions on his part, including him owning up to, and making moves to fix the O with Lash and now the D, I'm buying into what he's doing. We've been through the whole baker's dozen coaches saying, "We need to give them time to learn on the job," all the while they were stubborn as a mule on changes necessary, including Manny with Baker, I'll say Manny now gives me hope.

manny's current structure/situation is Plan B or C. these were the issues, IMO. he needed to remove Baker from the DC position/play calling. then, he needed to replace Baker. we know he tried to get a DC but failed (word is that it was Muschamp). he probably then tried to get Shoop as a DC. i suppose the only reason Shoop is not the DC is he want to give up the Michigan money. so he's left with being the de facto DC this year. i don't think he wanted to be the DC when he started making moves because he recognizes the difficulty of learning on the job AND being the DC. he essentially said that yesterday.

Advertisement
Sorry, I thought those were rhetorical questions and you were leading me somewhere. I spend too much time around lawyers.

Don’t worry. There’s forgetting and then there’s forgetting. The other day I left an appointment and a few minutes later in my car I can’t find my sunglasses, I look all over the car. So I call the receptionist and ask her if anyone has turned in a pair of sunglasses (these are not cheap, they’re my favorite pair). Of course, the answer was no. So ****ed off, another expensive pair of sunglasses down the drain. The story is I did find the sunglasses. I’ll give you exactly one guess where they were. I’m sure you already know.

Now that is what I call forgetting.
I’ve looked for my keys while holding them.

I'm counting more than just 2 people. The quality of assts. across the board factors in imo. You have former HCs and coordinators in the mix of position coaches. A defensive analyst/consultant who has 30 years of experience. A HOF Chief Of Staff that acts as a consultant on culture and chemistry of the team. So it's not so much quantity (you are only allowed so many coaches) but the quality.

As far as accountability, it seems he is taking control of the defense so the buck stops there. Of course, if this kind of staff structure doesn't pan out, he's the guy who created it.

I agree it's a bit unorthodox, but it can work in theory. I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.
I am happy with the staff upgrades, but I don't view that as infrastructure. We had a staff that wasn't up to standard, so improvement is good but expected and needed. Shoop as an analyst is an infrastructure improvement. I'd be interested to know what investments we're making into development and analytics and recruiting / roster management.

Advertisement
Back