Proof's in the pudding, but I'm encouraged about MD as our DC because of this quote..

Advertisement
I believe what he meant was that having Stroud do a lot of the administrative stuff, and Shoop doing game planning and all that will free up his time to focus more on being the DC, vs being just the HC. The HC role has always been more of a CEO role.
So remember last year or the year before, he said he was going to "be more involved with the defense". He probably realized that isn't enough, aka “I have guys on the staff I can delegate things to. But for this to work out, I have to go all in. "

Advertisement
No coach is scared of Andy Reid and in year three Manny’s not still learning.
Dude, we always learn. That said, it is a legit concern about handling the DC and HC duties. He was looking at bringing in a legit DC as many know so it isn’t an invalid point. I don’t want to get into the “he should have hired a DC period” thing here.

I’m hopeful though with the ridiculously great staff hires he’s made that this will be manageable. He doesn’t have to touch the offense and he’s added TRob, TWill, Smpson and Shoop. So if he can be DC and the HC things can be handled then we’ll see. I don’t think it’s ideal but I wouldn’t be shocked if Shoop did a lot of the HC things for him.

I'd prefer to have heard him say 'I know my job is head coach and there's a lot I have to look after in that role. So while my background as a DC tempts me to try to micromanage that function, I know that it's not the right thing for me to do. Accordingly, I'm appointing ____ DC.'
Certainly that's one way (and traditional) of doing it but it's not the only way...he now has Stroud and Shoop has his own capable and experienced personal assistants to delegate HC administrative duties and also assist with scouting and analysis on defense. On offense he has Lashlee handling it all.

It may or may not work, but he has the infrastructure in place that he may be able to take on the role of DC and have help with the other stuff related to HC. We'll see if it works but it at least on paper it seems viable.

My main concern is ref whistles against us and ZERO for bama.....on any given game I can point out targeting calls, holding calls, and a bunch of PI calls that go un-called for bama. This is the real battle, the refs will bombard us with weak a$$ calls until they see the will of our team fall off to nothing. Manny has to skillfully coach the don't quit mentality just to make this bama game respectable. Every game that has a heartbeat of a chance to be meaningful we don't show up AT ALL. So i predict right now that we lose big to bama, we lose big to unc, we lose big to our bowl opponent.

THIS REEKS OF NCAA ENFORCEMENT

Advertisement
Dude, we always learn. That said, it is a legit concern about handling the DC and HC duties. He was looking at bringing in a legit DC as many know so it isn’t an invalid point. I don’t want to get into the “he should have hired a DC period” thing here.

I’m hopeful though with the ridiculously great staff hires he’s made that this will be manageable. He doesn’t have to touch the offense and he’s added TRob, TWill, Smpson and Shoop. So if he can be DC and the HC things can be handled then we’ll see. I don’t think it’s ideal but I wouldn’t be shocked if Shoop did a lot of the HC things for him.
There's no chance we're worse off with Manny calling the plays than the last guy, so there's that

If don’t like Manny Diaz you should be loving this. This dude is putting all his chips on the table and saying the buck stops with me. If we suck next year and get embarrassed in big games like last year he is out of here. But if he turns this motherrucker around and we go
12-1 or 11-2 we have to give credit where credit is due. Whether your Mopesqaud or Slurpergang the truth will reveal Itself in due time. See y’all in six months I’m out!!!
Well said Don, well said indeed sir.

No, because he’s still learning how to be a head coach full time. You really think taking on DC too is gonna help that? You think any other coach is scared of going up against Manny? He is not Andy Reid.
You’re spitting to many facts “bro.” The slurpers are gonna be all over you soon with he’s a “master DC” so it won’t take away form him “still learning to be a HC” nonsense. Manny isn’t still learning to be a head coach, manny still learning how to be a DC that doesn’t let any team with a decent rushing attack not put the most yards on his defense in the programs ******* history! But don’t point that little fact out to the slurpers because they just say “you’re not a real fan BRO!” Lmao the garbage never ends with those fools. Smh

No coach is scared of Andy Reid and in year three Manny’s not still learning.
Lmao I’ve heard it all now man, you just compared a super bowl winning coach who will probably win another one this coming Sunday to Manure “rush the ball done my throat through my ****” Diaz? Wow man, you’ve really gone off the deep end with your agenda with this one. 😳 I’m worried now but I’ll will screenshot this post of yours for future reference. Smh

Last edited:
Advertisement
He’s not salvageable. There is nothing Manny can ever do to make some accept him. If he took us to the playoffs and lost, it would still be “Manny sucks” central in here for some.
1612454132655.gif

Advertisement
"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face." - Mike Tyson

We shall see Manny's, when 'Bama comes in. By the end of the first quarter, it will be clear who we are under him.

good thing we have a solid coaching staff and culture on the offensive side of the ball. I trust lashlee to steer that ship with little oversight.

Why appoint a guy if your going to be heavily involved in it anyways?? We see this all over the land with offensive coaches. It can work as long as you have the right ppl in place. We all identify Rhett as a future HC. Likens has run a offensive room before. He has the pieces in place to make this move Imo. If the offense was a big question mark going into 21 I’d agree.
I have a different view. Being a HC is a full time job. DC is a full time job. Doing both means something's giving way. Also, the job of the HC is to manage coordinators, and doing that effectively is how they scale themselves for other needs.

Our program has been a face-plant for 2 decades. We don't have anything working properly yet. Our infrastructure is lacking. Manny's not even demonstrated he's a capable head coach. He has plenty to focus on as a HC. Including figuring out how to actually be one effectively. Build culture, build capabilities, manage strategically, help your guys on tactics but don't get trapped into that.

Too many people seem to think a successful CFB program is just about the coaches and players. It's a lot more than that. It's about support resources and infrastructure, development, data analytics, multi-year relationship building. These things all take time. If Manny has extra time, spend more of it talking to recruits. We hear that Saban and Urban Meyer spend real time (or did) talking to top prospects. Notice their results.

It's misleading to look at examples of head coaches who also work as coordinators, for two reasons. Because selective anecdotal examples can lead you astray generally, and because those institutions may have a more effective infrastructure or different need-state than UM. Manny's got a big job getting our program modernized, he's got no help from an incompetent AD and Admin, and he really needs it to function better to achieve his goals. Unless you think the job of a DC is a pop in once in a while thing, you'd have to acknowledge that doing both puts tension on each side of the ledger, and that's not good for a guy who's struggled just to be a HC so far.

I like Manny. I think he's smart and has some good attributes. But his biggest flaw is his lack of experience as a head coach. I think he thought that this head coach thing would be easier than it was. Recall that first offseason. He's ******** around at FSU's camp and arriving at a bar in a yacht. Then, reality hit. He's done a great job with hires the past 2 offseasons but I still wonder whether he's leaving himself way too thin. There are some coaches that can call plays and be head coach and do it well, but that tends to be all on the offensive side. I don't know any coach that calls defensive plays? That's seemingly more difficult. I remember that old Steve Spurrier quote that he could run the same play on offense in college for several weeks until other teams figured it out (and in the NFL, it only lasted a half). But it seems to me that defenses now have to be far more varied and complicated given the more efficient offenses of today.

I wonder whether he knows enough yet to understand that HC/DC has to be really, really taxing and difficult? Or, is he too green to understand that?

Advertisement
Back