Proof's in the pudding, but I'm encouraged about MD as our DC because of this quote..

I'd prefer to have heard him say 'I know my job is head coach and there's a lot I have to look after in that role. So while my background as a DC tempts me to try to micromanage that function, I know that it's not the right thing for me to do. Accordingly, I'm appointing ____ DC.'

Jimbo Fisher won a NC as a HC calling plays. I'd have preferred he hired a DC as well, but he's proven he's an upper echelon DC, and if he wants to bet his job on himself, I applaud that. He's either gonna sink or swim, but HE'S going to be sinking or swimming. Not on the back of Michael Phelps nor tied to dead weight.

Advertisement
Jimbo Fisher won a NC as a HC calling plays. I'd have preferred he hired a DC as well, but he's proven he's an upper echelon DC, and if he wants to bet his job on himself, I applaud that. He's either gonna sink or swim, but HE'S going to be sinking or swimming. Not on the back of Michael Phelps nor tied to dead weight.
Reasoning by anecdote can get you anywhere. Most of those places are illogical.

No DC worth a **** is coaching under Manny Lombardi. You dudes have no clue how little little Manny is respected in the coaching world.

Thankfully FIU isn’t on the schedule next season.

I have to be honest, I’m still not sold on Manny and need to see him improve drastically as a head coach, including obviously, winning more games and competing well against the top teams, but....

But I’d love to see Manny just kill it to watch you squirm and sweat like a little whiny bltch and try to explain his success away. I’d love to see what excuses and explanations you come up with then.

I know one thing, the winning would please me the most, but watching porsters like you and a few others cry and be miserable bltches about our success would please me greatly.

I'd prefer to have heard him say 'I know my job is head coach and there's a lot I have to look after in that role. So while my background as a DC tempts me to try to micromanage that function, I know that it's not the right thing for me to do. Accordingly, I'm appointing ____ DC.'
Why appoint a guy if your going to be heavily involved in it anyways?? We see this all over the land with offensive coaches. It can work as long as you have the right ppl in place. We all identify Rhett as a future HC. Likens has run a offensive room before. He has the pieces in place to make this move Imo. If the offense was a big question mark going into 21 I’d agree.

The best part is when he said he reached out to other coaches to see if it’s possible and to gather as much info as possible before making the choice to do it.
It’s done by numerous coaches all over. I think this is overblown because manny announced it outright. But it’s really nothing new

Advertisement
Manny might not be able to do alot of things right..but one thing we know he can do is be an elite DC especially when he has Shoop, Simpson, T-Rob, and T-Will having his back. I would rather him do it himself then bring in some DC that isnt ready for the job. We dont need another Baker experiment.. The list of potential DCs was extremely short to begin with.

OK but it's been proven many times that it can be done. Just because you think he should have delegated the DC responsibilities to someone else, and I do as well, has zero bearing about whether or not him doing it himself will work.

My point is, this isn't something that's never been done before. Will he be successful? Who knows? But I feel a lot better about him doing something that's somewhat commonplace in the college game vs if he was doing something insane that has never been attempted.

Advertisement
Oh my lord give up the ghost, Mrs. Cristobal.
Will Ferrell Lol GIF

"I’m going to be the defensive coordinator,” Diaz said. “I have guys on the staff I can delegate things to. But for this to work out, I have to go all in. "

Yes, I know that HC's are notorious for saying anything, but I've got a good feeling about this situation. Certainly a better feeling than I've had since he quit being DC two years ago.

One of my biggest concerns was not being all in. I think he will be and will delegate the rest. Carroll won 2 NC's arguably, while being HC and DC.

Also, if Shoop handles his business, then I could see him taking over as DC moving forward.

Not that J Phillips was ever coming back, but if he had decided to return...man, I would REALLY be drinking the coolaid for the coming season. This is the most excited I've been in a while. Manny really might be bringing us back. Thank God we're not in the SEC so we have space to improve and build. Anyway, I think we will win 10 games barring a rash of injuries at key positions.
Then who is going to be all in as our head coach? That’s kind of an important coaching job? If manny wants to be all in as DC, that’s the job he should have applied for.

I listened to the Manny Navarro podcast last night where he interviewed the beat writer for Auburn due to T Will and T Rob coming over. They also spoke on the situation with Lashlee and Malzahn. The beat writer noted that Malzahn kept flip flopping on whether he needed to be the one calling plays b/c 'it was his offense' that no one else was getting right. It started with Lashlee, but continued after that. His take was this was at least part of the reason for Auburn's decline (also their inability to keep innovating on offense when the defenses caught up, especially after the substitution rules).

I like Manny as a DC and Blaker had to go - obviously one example does not show a trend and I am excited and certainly feel better about the D this season than last, but I hope that this doesn't end up the same way that it did for Auburn.

Advertisement
Yeah on offense. Not to many coaches run the defense along with being HC. After watching the interviews and seeing the staff assembled I’m more at peace with his decision.
That’s probably cause there’s not many Defensive coaches at the hc..the new trend is and has been find the next Sean mcvay. Young offensive minds. Even in NFL

Then who is going to be all in as our head coach? That’s kind of an important coaching job? If manny wants to be all in as DC, that’s the job he should have applied for.

Why ?

Because you, in your completely neutral and unbiased opinion think he should have?

Advertisement
No, because he’s still learning how to be a head coach full time. You really think taking on DC too is gonna help that? You think any other coach is scared of going up against Manny? He is not Andy Reid.

No coach is scared of Andy Reid and in year three Manny’s not still learning.

Advertisement
Back