Proof and specifics of our improvement

Handshake Lil Nas X GIF by 2021 MTV Video Music Awards
giphy-26.gif

Advertisement
I appreciate the efforts OP. However, the sooner you see the light and realize that he is a .500 coach with very poor in-game abilities - You Will Be Set Free!

You’ll get your life back. No more wasted Saturday afternoons being blind sided by gameday coaching atrocities.

But, he did play at Miami.

Go Canes!

look if the other candidates (there werent any bc they zeroed in on mario) got the same level of resources and support, we could possibly be see better results. the issue is the boosters went after mario and only supported mario with their moeny. this would not have been the support for a non columbus grad.
Absolutely. They weren’t going to get it even if they did have the interest in doing the dirty work and not just “coaching.” You don’t want the donors running the program, but in this situation where you need the support and you know there’s a guy who will get it and whose strengths line up with the greatest area of need (operational improvements) that makes him the right hire IMHO. At worst he’s going to leave the program as a whole in a much better state.

The coaching absolutely needs to be better. No doubt he needs to make some improvements and changes in his approach.

Bigtime players make bigtime plays in bigtime games

But they don’t if they’re not being put in position to be allowed to do it

I had hope when Dawson went for the kill shot against A&M but that quickly dissolved
I was thinking Natty after Texas AM. The whole we need to win for recruiting thing should never have been mentioned.

I was thinking Natty after Texas AM. The whole we need to win for recruiting thing should never have been mentioned.
I remember thinking I’m going to enjoy the **** out of this because with this team you just never know what next week holds

But I didn’t think it would go like this either

Advertisement
Absolutely. They weren’t going to get it even if they did have the interest in doing the dirty work and not just “coaching.” You don’t want the donors running the program, but in this situation where you need the support and you know there’s a guy who will get it and whose strengths line up with the greatest area of need (operational improvements) that makes him the right hire IMHO. At worst he’s going to leave the program as a whole in a much better state.

The coaching absolutely needs to be better. No doubt he needs to make some improvements and changes in his approach.
coaches are stubborn and have egos. my fear with mario is he thinks his way is the way and as insiders have alluded to worry about the future of this era

The logic of trying to make improvements about EVERYTHING BUT winning escapes me.

Winning is all that matters. Period. All that other "rebuild" BS yall typing is just that, BS. If you have an emotional connection to Mario then go hug em. Cause a lot of us DGAF about all that. Win or get trashed.

When and where does all of the rebuilding processes start resulting in Ws in the column?
For all of you making the excuses, please answer it. When are you going to feel confident about Mario ability to coach a double digit win season?

With so much turnover/attrition in CFB what are we even building upon? Like @cway313 said, this gone be a whole new team with none of the experiences from this year to build on. So make that **** make sense?

It could be the 15 years working in banking that have jaded me, but I only care about the bottom line and doing it whatever it takes to get the W.

Advertisement
Well Mario's biggest thing is he constantly falls back into micro management. He needs to learn FAR more how to let go and trust his hires to do the jobs they were brought here for. 80% of the time he's got that down. But in that other 20% he has a vision in his head and when it doesn't fit EXACTLY on that checklist it's like he has a meltdown at times. Knowing the day to day a lil better than most id certainly say he's gotten noticeably better about it. But in those moments he's got plenty of work to do. It's the ocd side of him that gets lost. I just wish as a fan base we'd all use a lil bit of time not focusing on each and every possible negative and spend some of those moments on actually voicing and acknowledging where we have made HUGE strides... You can as a sensible person, acknowledge a lil bit of both.
I find this very interesting.

Can you care to elaborate and share with us what that 20% of the OCD side of Mario he has worked on and sometimes struggles with?

I think we all, as people, struggle with this. I know I do when it comes to work and definitely with my kids when sometimes I step in and I just shouldn’t. Let them sink or swim on their own and learn from it so that they can be better down the road.

Is it what you already mentioned in terms letting his coaches do the job and sometimes he can’t help himself?

The logic of trying to make improvements about EVERYTHING BUT winning escapes me.

Winning is all that matters. Period. All that other "rebuild" BS yall typing is just that, BS. If you have an emotional connection to Mario then go hug em. Cause a lot of us DGAF about all that. Win or get trashed.

When and where does all of the rebuilding processes start resulting in Ws in the column?
For all of you making the excuses, please answer it. When are you going to feel confident about Mario ability to coach a double digit win season?

With so much turnover/attrition in CFB what are we even building upon? Like @cway313 said, this gone be a whole new team with none of the experiences from this year to build on. So make that **** make sense?

It could be the 15 years working in banking that have jaded me, but I only care about the bottom line and doing it whatever it takes to get the W.
bingo. hes not a kid. he gets paid very well to do a job.

Advertisement
All the graphs, charts, and power point presentations can't hide the aweful coaching which is Corchobal, no one is fooled.

Expecting a corch whose whole career has been marked by terrible coaching decisions to suddenly become at least average or not cost his team wins is exactly the definition of, wait for it ...insanity.

bingo. hes not a kid. he gets paid very well to do a job.

I used to have emotional connections. Being a young brotha and Miami hired Randy Shannon? Popped out with a number 1 class? I used to be on boards(different moniker) defending tf outta Randy. Making every excuse in the book
Aggressively arguing with everyone and hurling insults left and right.

As my pockets grew thinner from supporting, buying merchandise, going to games, donating member of the Hurricane Club, I started to care more about the bottom line. WINNING. I started to respect the fact that it excuses don't matter only the bottom line.

Simultaneously, the same thing happened to me in life, working at q if the biggest financial institutions in the world, when I was only a step above entry level, I would get so upset that people who had families to feed were being let go for making honest human mistakes.
It angered me. Made me want to quit and protest the seemingly unfair treatment, as I became a manager and got access to reporting I wasn't previously privy too, I started to sew just how much those mistakes lost us money and indirectly could have cost me to lose my **** job. That changed my level of thinking.

This is how I coach my agents, to have an astute attention to detail and to protect their income by double checking their work and doing everything right. To bring, not just "hard work" but thoughtful and innovative work every single day they open that lap top. Cause at the end of the day. Making a "mistake" and waving 40k on a customer's account or forgetting to honor a customer's settlement agreement isn't a mistake that can be easily reversed or sometimes at all and ain't no customer or business owner trying to hear a fuqin " my bad" and don't give af how hard you work.

Same as a coach losing games for not taking knees. 🤷🏿‍♂️

There is truth in what is being said here on both sides. We are on the right general trajectory for rebuilding the program while there are some legitimate reasons to question if Mario will get us over the line.

Some people seem strangely oblivious to the state of the program that Mario inherited despite having witnessed it unraveling for 20+ years. They're looking only at the tip of the iceberg. For a long time we have been miles away from the Alabama's and OSU's of the world in every possible respect. Not even close. Our program infrastructure was ostensibly a joke compared to what is occurring at big time programs.

On top of that the roster was horrid. Again, miles away from any relevant program in terms of experienced depth and playmakers at important positions across the depth chart. Just look at the NFL draft--the proof is right there. Manny was using smoke and mirrors to piece together slightly better than .500 seasons. But the program was continuing to slide. Everyone knows that.

It's hasn't been perfect, but Mario is making important progress in the areas of primary importance right now. He knows what it is supposed to look like. He's not building a facade. This is a serious reclamation project. In that context, it is mostly irrelevant whether we win 7 or 8 or 9 games this year.

Certainly the coaching matters as well and I don't think anyone would dispute that growth is needed there. There are some spots he seems to have difficulty recruiting. His coordinator hires, especially on offense, have not been great. The lone bright spot has been Guidry. The tight formations at times are not concerning to me personally, but the designs and concepts and rhythm of the offense leave a lot to be desired. Neither Gattis nor Dawson call good games, it's that simple. There are some good things too, but certainly Mario need to do better to get us where he and the rest of us want to be.
Louisville -

Not saying that we didn’t have a bigger hot mess than they did but here is an article of the 22 transfers they took in (look at the names as they have made huge impact).

Mario has brought in some really good transfers and some others that have busted. It happens at every program.

Where we are this year is where we should’ve been last year. We should’ve been 7-5/7-6 last year and this year 8-4/8-5. That’s visible positive trajectory (I know we have made up in other areas not reflected by the record).

The biggest difference is the failures in coaching to me. I am not even talking Mario here in game day but I am talking about him in his coordinator hires especially on offense.

You have to have the offense scoring points and scheming people open. You don’t have to be a 4/5 star at every position. Proof - look at what Brohm did to us and how he schemed the offense to help his players increases their chances of success. How he fixed his QB room (most important position on the field).

Can’t expect Guidry and the defense to always hold up. Louisville scored 38.

Well, have a ******* offense to scheme up **** and score 40 points. How are you going to only score 6 points vs NC State, injured QB or not? You still had chances to win that game if the OC schemes up something good and doesn’t ignore his play makers the whole ******* game. Just running. The same concept over and over and hoping it works.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I used to have emotional connections. Being a young brotha and Miami hired Randy Shannon? Popped out with a number 1 class? I used to be on boards(different moniker) defending tf outta Randy. Making every excuse in the book

As my pockets grew thinner from supporting, buying merchandise, going to games, donating member of the Hurricane Club, I started to care more about the bottom line. WINNING. I started to respect the fact that it excuses don't matter only the bottom line.

Simultaneously, the same thing happened to me in life, working at q if the biggest financial institutions in the world, when I was only a step above entry level, I would get so upset that people who had families to feed were being let go for making honest human mistakes.
It angered me. Made me want to quit and protest the seemingly unfair treatment, as I became a manager and got access to reporting I wasn't previously privy too, I started to sew just how much those mistakes lost us money and indirectly could have cost me to lose my **** job. That changed my level of thinking.

This is how I coach my agents, to have an astute attention to detail and to protect their income by double checking their work and doing everything right. To bring, not just "hard work" but thoughtful and innovative work every single day they open that lap top. Cause at the end of the day. Making a "mistake" and waving 40k on a customer's account or forgetting to honor a customer's settlement agreement isn't a mistake that can be easily reversed or sometimes at all and ain't no customer or business owner trying to hear a fuqin " my bad" and don't give af how hard you work.

results are what matters. no one cares if you spent all night drafting that motion, if it doesnt get the results, your client is gonna be ****ed. they pay your bills. they dont have time for excuses or the long nights. they only care that you won or lost.

That #1 Class (Lol) that Shannon signed, had absolutely no business being #1.....Bama truly had the #1 class.

giphy-16.gif

Advertisement
Back