Proof and specifics of our improvement

No it hasn't. Some of you just really have a flair for the overly dramatic. When you say the good p5 schools if you mean a very small hand full then yes we're behind in many aspects. Outside of that, than no we're certainly not far behind. I get everyone finds it convenient to look at nothing but a record and say this is what we are. So we're people doing the same thing for Larry coker in 2000 when any sane fan is able to acknowledge his hire is what started the slide for our program? How bout even earlier with the hiring of shalallalalalalalala? Is it fair to say those two moments in time impacted us moving forward? So in that same context are we as semi intellectual beings able to acknowledge that 2021 didn't just change the outlook for our program. It also caused various acc programs to change staffs and in my eyes as I said back then some very good staffs were being built. The acc right now top to bottom has far better play than it did at that time with Clemson and to a lesser extent unc as the only two programs with any serious forward trajectory. Reality is we have turned this thing around. We've made some huge strides and we still have more to make. No need to keep rehashing what we need to work on. Results will be the last part of the process. That's just what it is. You want a quick fix like 2017 gave us where any one that knows **** about football knew it was smoke and mirrors. Or do you want a team that's built to compete year in and year out. The people who say 2017 were the same people saying Malik rozier was great the same people amazed by 2021 Tyler. None of that had a foundation. It was temporary results and coaches capable of adapting did exactly that. End result 2018 rosier sucked, 2022 Tyler sucked...
Not sure if you intended to reply to me but I believe I’m saying almost exactly the same thing you’re saying. Mario was the best guy to get us on track with the overall list of items on PIPO’s list. We were way behind when he started and were making up ground. I believe this will lead to more winning that is sustainable. But clearly Mario also has some things to clean up. I’m not sure what you’re disagreeing with me about.

Advertisement
Not sure if you intended to reply to me but I believe I’m saying almost exactly the same thing you’re saying. Mario was the best guy to get us on track with the overall list of items on PIPO’s list. We were way behind when he started and were making up ground. I believe this will lead to more winning that is sustainable. But clearly Mario also has some things to clean up. I’m not sure what you’re disagreeing with me about.
Wasn't intended towards you. Sorry about that. Hectic morning.

I find it to be a flawed approach to compare 2022 vs 2023 as proof of improvement. Mario was the coach in 2022 and the team had among its worst performance in memory. That's like having a competition of who can lose the most weight then gaining 15 pounds the week before the competition starts. lol

A better approach would be to compare 2021 vs 2023. In 2021 the team was 7-5 and 5-3 in ACC play. Is the team better than 2021? I strongly believe it is, but the record itself does not support that opinion.

Louisville -

Not saying that we didn’t have a bigger hot mess than they did but here is an article of the 22 transfers they took in (look at the names as they have made huge impact).

Mario has brought in some really good transfers and some others that have busted. It happens at every program.

Where we are this year is where we should’ve been last year. We should’ve been 7-5/7-6 last year and this year 8-4/8-5. That’s visible positive trajectory (I know we have made up in other areas not reflected by the record).

The biggest difference is the failures in coaching to me. I am not even talking Mario here in game day but I am talking about him in his coordinator hires especially on offense.

You have to have the offense scoring points and scheming people open. You don’t have to be a 4/5 star at every position. Proof - look at what Brohm did to us and how he schemed the offense to help his players increases their chances of success. How he fixed his QB room (most important position on the field).

Can’t expect Guidry and the defense to always hold up. Louisville scored 38.

Well, have a ******* offense to scheme up **** and score 40 points. How are you going to only score 6 points vs NC State, injured QB or not? You still had chances to win that game if the OC schemes up something good and doesn’t ignore his play makers the whole ******* game. Just running. The same concept over and over and hoping it works.

I don’t think I disagree with any of this. Mario is not a coaching savant. His coordinator hires are very important and he’s 1/4 so far in terms of hiring guys that are creative, smart, and adaptive. But for the moment (1) this is less important to me than the progress he’s making on the other areas of the good list you made in this thread and (2) I’m hopeful the results will follow in another year or two with that good progress and some adjustments by Mario.

20231122_145256.gif

Advertisement
I find it to be a flawed approach to compare 2022 vs 2023 as proof of improvement. Mario was the coach in 2022 and the team had among its worst performance in memory. That's like having a competition of who can lose the most weight then gaining 15 pounds the week before the competition starts. lol

A better approach would be to compare 2021 vs 2023. In 2021 the team was 7-5 and 5-3 in ACC play. Is the team better than 2021? I strongly believe it is, but the record itself does not support that opinion.

That's the net of it. People looking at results see the same record that got Manny fired. And they see no return on investment for a major increase in spending on the program.

I'm with @Brooklyndee camp that believes that perspective is focusing on symptoms not root causes. Looked at from root causes, we can see both the effort and foundational progress needed to creating a sustainable Top 10 program. I'm super optimistic.

I see 3 potential issues to getting to consistent 10+ win seasons.
1. Mario needs to let his OC run their offense. Bro ball as a foundation like 4-3 defense as a foundation is fine. But the rest of the scheme and play calling need to be Dawson's or his replacement.
2. Mario needs to get back to recruiting highest quality players, not just numbers. There's talk of trading up in this class, but I want to see it. Yes, you can fix your mistakes more easily with the portal. But that doesn't build culture or depth Mario wants to build.
3. That QB room needs a total overhaul. It's been rotten since Butch, we've literally never had two capable QBs on rosters at the same time in 20 years.

That's the net of it. People looking at results see the same record that got Manny fired. And they see no return on investment for a major increase in spending on the program.

I'm with @Brooklyndee camp that believes that perspective is focusing on symptoms not root causes. Looked at from root causes, we can see both the effort and foundational progress needed to creating a sustainable Top 10 program. I'm super optimistic.

I see 3 potential issues to getting to consistent 10+ win seasons.
1. Mario needs to let his OC run their offense. Bro ball as a foundation like 4-3 defense as a foundation is fine. But the rest of the scheme and play calling need to be Dawson's or his replacement.
2. Mario needs to get back to recruiting highest quality players, not just numbers. There's talk of trading up in this class, but I want to see it. Yes, you can fix your mistakes more easily with the portal. But that doesn't build culture or depth Mario wants to build.
3. That QB room needs a total overhaul. It's been rotten since Butch, we've literally never had two capable QBs on rosters at the same time in 20 years.
The only difference between us having 10 win seasons and not is going to be qb play. If you have great QB play. Ultimately if your qb is playing great you win - whether y’all wanna trash bro - style or be a completely air raid offense, with Great QB play you win, period. No maybe you’d say we wouldn’t win EVERY game or we wouldn’t be dominant or win a national championship or whatever, but consistent 10 wins? Absolutely.

This team today if you put Jayden Daniels on it is unquestionably a 10+ win team - probably undefeated. That’s the difference.

Next yr, the year after, the year after that…. And so on is all going to be dependent on Qb play. Great play will lead to 11+ wins. Good will lead to 9-11 wins. Average will lead to 8-10 wins. Bad will lead to 7-9 wins.

I’m not trying to be or seem anything. We’ve been hovering around .500 since 2006 and were 7-5 in 2021. The program has fallen way behind the good P5 programs in every respect.

In that context, I don’t really care that we’re continuing to hover around .500 right now. I’m more concerned in the short run with whether we’re closing the gap with real football programs so we have the foundation to actually sustain long-term competitiveness (playoff picture) starting in a couple years.

You can disagree and obviously do. But Manny was going nowhere and I’m not convinced that the other candidates would have been able to change the football operation the way Mario is. That’s important. Obviously he needs to win ultimately.

Question, and it’s a very simple one:

At this stage, is Mario Cristobal a better coach than 2016-18 Mark Richt?

Advertisement

I think thats a much better way of looking at it.

Id say this team is slightly better but that team was ****. So both teams were garbage.

By now we should be seeing much more improvement.

What kind of a ***** are you? The games are 60 minutes for a reason.

We didn't pile up a bunch of "garbage points". We scored EIGHT more points than North Carolina in the fourth quarter.
What a pathetic fan base. The game was over. Miami led 17-14 and UNC proceeded to drop 24 unanswered in the 3rd and 4th qtrs. Canes scored a late TD with 2 minutes left making it 41-31! UNC had backups in that point and it was game, set, and F’ing match.

Stop making excuses for a deadpan HC. Zero concepts, ingenuity. The Shlong slurping on this site is a joke..😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣

Wario needs to change his style 150% or he’s DOA.

Advertisement
The only difference between us having 10 win seasons and not is going to be qb play. If you have great QB play. Ultimately if your qb is playing great you win - whether y’all wanna trash bro - style or be a completely air raid offense, with Great QB play you win, period. No maybe you’d say we wouldn’t win EVERY game or we wouldn’t be dominant or win a national championship or whatever, but consistent 10 wins? Absolutely.

This team today if you put Jayden Daniels on it is unquestionably a 10+ win team - probably undefeated. That’s the difference.

Next yr, the year after, the year after that…. And so on is all going to be dependent on Qb play. Great play will lead to 11+ wins. Good will lead to 9-11 wins. Average will lead to 8-10 wins. Bad will lead to 7-9 wins.
That's the crazy part though. We don't even need (with supposed bro ball this season) GREAT QB play. We just need our QB not to turn the ball over right and left. We simply need a accurate QB who has the arm to stretch the field. Even this season if we cut the turn overs in half we have atleast two more wins right now. Look how many turn overs we had in the red zone. Not many of them were from fumbles. It was picks. Eliminate that and we're Gucci. I get that people see me arguing for Mario and assume I'm all for everything exactly how we're doing it. I'm not. I'd love to see us chunking the ball all around the field & for people to perceive us as the most exciting TEAM in the country. But you gotta be able to adapt to what you got. Just like we all want Mario to. Myself no concerns.

Advertisement
I don't care if the self-loathing Miami haters want to complain about only six wins this year, against five wins last year.

I collated all our 2022 and 2023 games from largest victory to worst defeat, and I put them side-by-side.

Here it is.

1. More wins
2. More wins at home
3. No blowouts by more than 2 TDs in 2023 (like, NONE)
4. More competitive games against ranked teams
5. 11 point swing in average margin across all games

View attachment 267164
I’m not moping but let’s keep it buck. Ofcourse we improved lol there was no other option but to improve after last seasons disaster. Being honest this year results was expected last year and fans were expecting an improvement up from that. Improvement yes but great improvement is up for debate

Question, and it’s a very simple one:

At this stage, is Mario Cristobal a better coach than 2016-18 Mark Richt?
No. Richt is a Hall of Fame coach, deservedly so. It’s hard to say what he would be doing here if not for his illness. Obviously he made the IPF happen, but who knows if he would’ve had the ambition at that point to push to get the football facility built and revamp things like S&C and nutrition while recruiting in the NIL era. But if you’re just picking a guy to prepare a team and play a game, it’s Richt and not a close call. How is this relevant?

There’s not much I can take from this season that’s positive. The GT abortion and the swoon that started afterward just put a huge damper on it all Yes the culture is better , guys didn’t quit and there’s accountability by the players but the issues with the scheme / game day coaching left a bad taste in my mouth. Game day coaching has to take another step.

No. Richt is a Hall of Fame coach, deservedly so. It’s hard to say what he would be doing here if not for his illness. Obviously he made the IPF happen, but who knows if he would’ve had the ambition at that point to push to get the football facility built and revamp things like S&C and nutrition while recruiting in the NIL era. But if you’re just picking a guy to prepare a team and play a game, it’s Richt and not a close call. How is this relevant?

I specifically said Richt 2016-18, not HOF UGA Richt, and it’s very relevant. So it’s of ur opinion that Mario Cristobal 2019-21 is not a better coach of the 2016-18 version of Mark Richt?

Advertisement
Back