Proof and specifics of our improvement

The amount of runs up the middle that were wasted plays this year is mind blowing. I’m ok with runs up the middle but that’s after you loosen a team up with body shots horizontally. Constant pressure outside causing ends to hesitate instead of just crashing down with no remorse. Why we continue to beat our heads into a cement wall is crazy. Keeping the D off balance is the key to offense yet we must just move you. Even if outnumbered. Continually running into a loaded box with the same predictable plays is insanity.

Mario might just be more hardheaded than I originally thought. Maybe he wakes up.
Preach. Unfortunately this is the hallmark of a Mario Cristobal offense. Oregon fans said the EXACT same thing about him.

Advertisement
100%.

My main criticism of Mario this season is not having a viable backup for TVD. Brown has issues with his throwing mechanics and Williams an incoming freshman. I’m sure he tried to bring in someone from the portal but it didn’t happen. They weren’t likely to land a top portal QB, that type is going to want to start, not compete. Plus the OC was still a question mark, IIRC. All of that is on the man in charge.

With a viable backup who can throw with accuracy and manage a game, like you say, we’re Gucci.

Happy Thanksgiving.
Happy Thanksgiving kind sir.

Question brother(Happy turkey day to you and yours first off)just sticking to the Louisville game here because that's what's fresh on my mind, out of the 6 plays I noticed that were runs up the middle how many of those did you notice the line was pulling? Anotherwords play was called to go off tackle... I noticed that three times. I don't agree with run plays in general being forced into a loaded front.
This team is built to establish the pass to set up the run. Not the other way around. But I really hate the A gap runs. The strength (literally)of our oline right now is at the tackle positions. We should embrace that more, especially if you're choosing to go max protect. Than you're essentially eliminating the whole purpose of bringing them on as added blockers if you just run behind the center or the guards... Those dudes are great in pass protection but not as physical yet as we need to see. For me anez regressed in certain aspects of his game this season. He came here loving physicality. Kid had zero quit in him. A few times this season I've seen he's been a serious liability. Hope he fixes that this offseason as I know we've talked with him about that.

Interesting about Cooper. He's a captain again this week.

Advertisement
The number of nationally embarrassing moments did indeed drop this year. Congrats to Mario.

We all would be pretty happy with this season if our coach didn't **** his pants in an obvious end of game scenario and our QB didn't quite literally turn into a pumpkin at midnight as the worst starting QB in the Power 5 over the middle half of the season. We'd be looking at a (seriously) 8-3 team going into the season finale at BC. Not making the ACCCG, but tangible, real improvement that doesn't need to point out the minutiae of improvement, as it'd be obvious.

Instead, he did **** is pants and our QB played the worst football of his life (while injured) and we're trying to nickel and dime improvement points. Sucks. But this is where we're at as a program looking down the barrel of a 6-6 season. Improvement? Absolutely. No bowl game to bowl game is improvement. But, still, those are some pretty ****** results.

Hope we get the QB position figured out in the offseason...do well in the portal (we usually do)...and Mario doesn't step on his **** in a nationally embarrassing way in 2024 and we'll likely be better again - maybe a little, hopefully significantly. Its possible for the latter. I don't think Mario is a bum coach...we'll eventually win under him...just not sure how much or if it'll be enough. Doubtful outcomes are positive on either of those right now. You know you're getting some clunkers ever year, even when his team is humming.

Also, got to continue to shed whats left of the Manny Diaz players. Some of these guys are good soldiers, so I won't hate all that much...but ya know, they can go. Also, idk what Mario needs to do, but he needs to tighten up the discipline. Enough the penalties and sloppy play. That **** is embarrassing.
Solid post.

Don’t be mad about it. Just common sense.
200w-10.gif

Advertisement
Back