Position Coach Preferences, WR group

Advertisement
I hope we see Pope, Hightower, Wiggins, and Payton get a lot more reps. If the fans are frustrated, I can only imagine how the players must feel.

Have they not earned the trust to get playing time? IDK.

I'm kind of starting to wonder... is Mark Pope gonna make an impact at Miami? Only two catches in his career so far...
To be a impact player you must know the playbook! Pope has everything needed to be great except his lack of being able to learn and retain the playbook.

Jeremiah Payton needs to play as well.
Over who? Love Payton but I'm afraid we're going to try to play 8 wr's to keep everybody happy. I'd love to see a tighter rotation - JT, Osborne, Hightower, Pope were the 4 guys I was hoping to see getting the lion's share of reps, then let's see who earns the 5th spot in the rotation (and that's almost it). But Harley obviously impressed the coaches this fall and worked his way up the list. I do think Payton's gonna be a stud though, and wouldn't surprise me one bit if he ends up in the top 5. Martell should just be a few reps a game for specialty plays imo.

Advertisement
I hope we see Pope, Hightower, Wiggins, and Payton get a lot more reps. If the fans are frustrated, I can only imagine how the players must feel.

Have they not earned the trust to get playing time? IDK.

lmfao at if the fans are frustrated :jordan:

The less Wiggins sees the field the better. Pope is stuck behind better players like JT and Mike Harley.... he can wait his turn, or become a better receiver, or transfer.

Y’all too worried about personnel and position groups when coaches are focused more on who they trust more on the field when the game Is close.

Brian Hightower would’ve gotten more reps but KJ Osborn plays that position and bc the game was ugly on offense the coaches weren’t going to take him off the field.

If the offense does it’s job more players will get on the field.

One of the things I'll look for against UNC is the WR snap count. Perhaps UF was an anomaly, but I watched a bunch of quick guys lineup together toward the end of the game. It was odd to me. First, I wish the press would ask Coach Enos who decides the position personnel groupings during the game. Then, I'd ask our WR coach what he looks for in his WRs.

Why? Because I think too often position coaches look for themselves in players. A DB coach sometimes gravitates toward players who have attributes they may have had. The coach knows what to do with those attributes and often values them more, so intentionally or not, his players get judged on those. For the record, I think this is a problem. I think a position coach should judge players for how they fit the overall scheme, but many might not be able to see the big picture while in the weeds. Maybe we're doing that to fit Enos' scheme needs. I don't know yet.

If you look at our WR coach's history, he's a technical dude who focuses on getting in and out of breaks, quicks and overall awareness. I haven't watched enough practice to say, but I was disappointed with Brian Hightower's snap count in Game1 because I thought he was a good matchup as the Split End to body the UF corners. That's just one example.

UF was only one game and maybe my gut is wrong here to even look for this, but I think it's important to identify the beginning of a trend. We can begin to do that with what our WR groupings will look like against UNC.

Hightower absolutely should have played more imo. He's the big deep threat and a bigger body who has the body control to win 50/50 balls.

There's a reason Brevin is a nice security blanket. He's bigger, easy to see, large catch radius and one who can shield the defender. You need to compliment the small fast guys with guys like that.....Hightower, Mallory, Wiggins, etc.

Advertisement
You guys are right.

Let’s bench JT4, KJ and Harley. Let’s start Hightower, Pope, Wiggins with Payton first off the bench to make sure that they don’t transfer. Who cares who’s better and has proven to the coaches that they can be trusted, we need to placate the young guys and make sure their feelings are not hurt. We should be doing this at all positions. Constant rotation so no one gets sad. Let’s put that above trying to win games while we’re at it.

But keep Tate off the field by any means necessary. Throw Camden Price out there at slot before Tate takes another snap if need be.

I like Hightower but if you study the routes we ran there were a lot of quick breaks and zone-beater techniques. Hightower is good at winning isolation routes but maybe the staff feels he doesn't read coverage well or break suddenly between zones.

Osborn ran good routes, Thomas is obviously the top guy and Harley really accelerates and runs hard on his snaps. Tate didn't provide anything on his WR snaps. The #3 spot in 11 personnel should be open for grabs all year. Right now I like Harley or Mallory for it but Payton has the most upside if he can earn snaps. Hightower, Wiggins and Njoku should be rotational guys especially against press man defenses.

I was high on Pope as a prospect but right now he just looks like a lesser Harley so he could be the odd man out.

Advertisement
He had a TD vs LSU and he got plenty of PT last year!

The second part of this is just not true. He had a total of 4 catches for 60 yards last year and missed plenty of games.

But we saw last night why he doesn't play more.

Advertisement
The second part of this is just not true. He had a total of 4 catches for 60 yards last year and missed plenty of games.

But we saw last night why he doesn't play more.
Yes he did! Just bcuz he didn't have catches doesn't mean he didn't play

Lu...

You should pump the brakes and reduce your speed on these WRs by like...75%. Most of the room is young and not very good right now. Also, Taylor Stubblefield is not a good coach of the position so your mileage may vary on what you ultimately get from these players.

KJ Osborn came in here and was our best WR almost immediately. Dude will be a nice late round pick and make a roster. He's shown to be pretty versatile and has lined up at numerous spots. The rest...I guess we'll see.

People love Thomas, and I used to, too...but I hate his body language and he doesn't produce enough for me to ignore it. I just think I can get whatever he gives us from anyone. Low key think Mike Harley is our second best WR right now.

So no Tate and more Hightower and Pope ? Yep , that’s what was missing lol.

Advertisement
Back