Position Coach Preferences, WR group

View as article
Advertisement
He's still unlikely to be as good as Willis, but I hope he makes a difference on disruption plays - especially in the pass game. Willis changed entire defensive series last year by slipping a single block. That's the main reason our pass efficiency was "elite." QBs were getting smoked up the middle without even needing to send Backers up the A gap.
Miami were sending backers up the A gap to blitz often last year too. Willis as good as he was, was still hit or miss with his play. He either dominated a play or was out of position. Even with uneven play from dts in terms of pass rush the last 2 games he’s still missed though however. The bigger issue is patchan and garvin taking all of these snaps providing EXACTLY NOTHING in pass rush. Garvin hasn’t had a sack in 8 games dating back to Boston college last year. And patchan is such a downgrade compared to joe Jackson too.. The difference makers on the dline at end are barely even playing in Rousseau who has 2 sacks and 3 or 4 tfls through 2 games in very limited snaps(23 snaps so far and could have had another sack or so) and Trevon Hill.

So yes the dt pass rushing ability hasn’t been there but neither has our pass rush from the ends garvin and patchan who are taking **** near 80% of the snaps.

As I said Before Rousseau is a difference maker, get that man on the field, there’s no reason for him not to be playing more considering how impactful he has been when he’s playing.

Hopefully Silvera is ready soon because we need him at dt asap

Don't say that too loudly. Spent the entire offseason being told to STFU and Gerald Willis is an undrafted guy who we'll easily replace with a committee. **** outta here. Anyone who actually watched the plays one by one on re-watch the countless scenarios Willis created a hurry or beat a guy to disrupt a play. Maybe we'll get that later in season or when Nesta comes back, but it's non-existent right now, and it makes a big difference in calling a defense (another topic altogether).

Not sure if you're trying to make a point but I don't recall many posters (if any) who argued that Willis was easily replaceable. That said, Bethel is useless out there. He offers very little outside of spelling the starters. Same with the UCLA kid - virtually use less. Ford showed flashes. And Jordan Miller - in one for one play, absolutely steamrolls in the center into the backfield and blows up a running play. What happens next? He comes out of the game. Did he even get back in after that? Miller needs to play more over the UCLA kid and even Bethel.

Exactly, that's why after the game i said ok, coach enos wants to do public qb evals, than let's evaluate him, 3points off 4 turnovers, not gone get it done. You got young tackles getting worked but we still calling for 5 and 7 step drops after he see's the adjustments that need to be made. Than to make matters worst, why was will mallory left in the gameinstead of bringing in irvin to help offset the physicality, pretty much every play that was ran to mallory's side was a complete failure. Than we running jet sweeps with osborn, if you gone bring the pope in, that's your jet sweep guy, either him, deejay and jt4, tate and osborn should be null an void in the jet sweep game. Its still comical and pathetic to me that both diaz and enos triec to give transfer tate credit for the deejay dallas touchdown, when that man been scoring touchdowns on the big stage, in the wildcat since he got here and way before transfer tate ever set foot on campus, that was disrespectful to deejay, and coach diaz was definitely smoking whatever coach enos was, by talking that nonsebse about d-co's needing to be worried about where transfer tate is during games, lol, based off what resume. Apparently the only d-co worried about where transfer tate is during games is coach diaz, that's why he over played em over other guys, because you must be worried for some reason that he'll transfer.

But yeah man, coach enos seems like the type who over thinks things to much, we need to start lining up in the power-I, and just start working on moving people, until we earn the right to pass the ball. That schizophrenic offense coach enis ran against the gaytors, only looked solid and made sense on the 1st drive, after that, im just curious if coach enos knows how to set defenses up from drive to drive! Not that he was the best oc, bht i still luv that play coach whipple callled against Oklahoma, where they fake tossed it to the right, glue hands dragged to the left underneath and was wide open, see @ the 7:02sec mark:

In fact he's the oc at pittsburgh now, that should be an interesting game, lol!

Remember that game well. Whipple had Oklahoma guessing run all night. When they would blitz their linebackers there was always someone running a drag route right where the LB vacated and Harris just tossed it out there.

We burned them so much on that play that they stopped blitzing for sometime and the ground game went from doing okay to running it down their throats.

Probably one of Whipples best called games that I can remember off the top.

I am a believer in BREAKOUT AGE at wide receiver when it comes to the NFL Draft and also contextualizing receivers at the college level. If a receiver gets 20% market share of his teams receiving production (yards/TDs) at or before the age of 20, he is considered a phenom. Age 18 and 19 breakouts are your future first and second round pick. The lower the potential invested draft capital, the lower the need for a breakout age.

What am I trying to say?

You all think our receivers are more than what they are just because they are given four or five stars next to their name. This is not the best way to evaluate wide receivers. Its archaic. Its nice for National Signing Day, but those star rankings mean nothing once they step foot on campus.

Using last year's abysmal receiving production, for a WR to hit those marketshare numbers they would have needed 435 yards and 4 touchdowns to be considered a breakout. Jeff Thomas came close (563 yards, but only 3 TDs), but fell just short.

The prior season...you needed to hit 625 yards and 5 TDs to hit a breakout age. Did we have one? Yes. Braxton Berrios broke out that year...and he ended up becoming an NFL prospect as a result.

Looking at our roster right now.

KJ Osborn broke out last year for Buffalo. He was a fourth year player at that point so...likely age 21. It means he entered the season as a potential day three pick. It makes sense, he moved up in competition in attempt to become a potential higher selection. Considering his teammates - Tyree Jackson and Anthony Johnson both went undrafted, Osborn made a wide choice to at least give himself a chance to be drafted higher.

Jeff Thomas is a fringe draftable player. He has yet to breakout. I'm unsure of his age, but he's surely past his 20th birthday. If he were to breakout this year, he'd likely just move into the Day 3 mix.

The rest of the players in the two deep? No one close yet and thats the point and all are basically indiscernible from one another...we do not have receivers that currently project as draftable players. Perhaps they emerge later in their career as one, but not yet. Wide receivers, like running back...if you're truly great and a future high draft pick...returns on the investment come early and kind of supersede the potential excuses. Its a talent metric that cuts out the noise of the typical excuse of "bad QB" or "bad coaching".

After two games...the only player on pace to hit a 20% marketshare is currently...surprise...KJ Osborn.

He is our best receiver, and at press time of this post, its not particularly close. To the surprise of many...KJ Osborn entered the season as our best receiver and through two games remains so.

Now realize he was WR2 for SUNY-Buffalo and came here and was immediately our WR1. Now readjust what you think of the Mark Pope, Brian Hightower, and Mike Harleys of the world. Their time is nearly up to show that they are legitimately top guys. The guy that I want to see? Jeremiah Payton. Is he a DUDE or just a guy? I'd like to know that.

Advertisement
I am a believer in BREAKOUT AGE at wide receiver when it comes to the NFL Draft and also contextualizing receivers at the college level. If a receiver gets 20% market share of his teams receiving production (yards/TDs) at or before the age of 20, he is considered a phenom. Age 18 and 19 breakouts are your future first and second round pick. The lower the potential invested draft capital, the lower the need for a breakout age.

What am I trying to say?

You all think our receivers are more than what they are just because they are given four or five stars next to their name. This is not the best way to evaluate wide receivers. Its archaic. Its nice for National Signing Day, but those star rankings mean nothing once they step foot on campus.

Using last year's abysmal receiving production, for a WR to hit those marketshare numbers they would have needed 435 yards and 4 touchdowns to be considered a breakout. Jeff Thomas came close (563 yards, but only 3 TDs), but fell just short.

The prior season...you needed to hit 625 yards and 5 TDs to hit a breakout age. Did we have one? Yes. Braxton Berrios broke out that year...and he ended up becoming an NFL prospect as a result.

KJ Osborn broke out last year for Buffalo. He was a fourth year player at that point so...likely age 21. It means he entered the season as a potential day three pick. It makes sense, he moved up in competition in attempt to become a potential higher selection. Considering his teammates - Tyree Jackson and Anthony Johnson both went undrafted, Osborn made a wide choice to at least give himself a chance to be drafted higher.

Jeff Thomas is a fringe draftable player. He has yet to breakout. I'm unsure of his age, but he's surely past his 20th birthday. If he were to breakout this year, he'd likely just move into the Day 3 mix.

The rest of the players in the two deep? No one close yet and thats the point and all are basically indiscernible from one another...we do not have receivers that currently project as draftable players. Perhaps they emerge later in their career as one, but not yet. Wide receivers, like running back...if you're truly great and a future high draft pick...returns on the investment come early and kind of supersede the potential excuses. Its a talent metric that cuts out the noise of the typical excuse of "bad QB" or "bad coaching".

After two games...the only player on pace to hit a 20% marketshare is currently...surprise...KJ Osborn.

He is our best receiver, and at press time of this post, its not particularly close. To the surprise of many...KJ Osborn entered the season as our best receiver and through two games remains so.

Now realize he was WR2 for SUNY-Buffalo and came here and was immediately our WR1. Now readjust what you think of the Mark Pope, Brian Hightower, and Mike Harleys of the world.

That was beautiful man

Not sure if you're trying to make a point but I don't recall many posters (if any) who argued that Willis was easily replaceable. That said, Bethel is useless out there. He offers very little outside of spelling the starters. Same with the UCLA kid - virtually use less. Ford showed flashes. And Jordan Miller - in one for one play, absolutely steamrolls in the center into the backfield and blows up a running play. What happens next? He comes out of the game. Did he even get back in after that? Miller needs to play more over the UCLA kid and even Bethel.
Oh man. There were quite a bit. Not in the mindset to go looking for the threads, but there were some long back and forths on the topic (over the summer).

Here's just one example of many posts about it:

Screen Shot 2019-09-08 at 10.54.51 PM.png

Advertisement
Oh man. There were quite a bit. Not in the mindset to go looking for the threads, but there were some long back and forths on the topic (over the summer).

Here's just one example of many posts about it:

View attachment 96789
No one said was he was easily replaceable, just despite the dominant production he was still an inconsistent player which is true. Nfl teams seem to have that same sentiment as well so far. It’s an issue for our defense but as i stated earlier, the dends who are getting majority of the snaps are not doing well in rushing the passer. Garvin who most expected to take that leap has been a HUGE disappointment and hill and Rousseau are barley even playing . That’s one of the issues that needs to be fixed and obviously getting Nesta back

Last edited:
No one said was he was easily replaceable, just despite the dominant production he was still an inconsistent player which is true. Nfl teams seem to have that same sentiment as well so far. It’s an issue for our defense but as i stated earlier, the dends who are getting majority of the snaps are not doing well in rushing the passer. Garvin who most expected to take that leap has been a HUGE disappointment and hill and Rousseau are barley even playing . That’s one of the issues that needs to be fixed and obviously getting Nesta back
Go back to that thread and other threads. He was unnecessarily downplayed. It will continue to play out unless Nesta returns and makes a leap.

I agree with Lu. DEFINITELY downplayed. In fact, it was mentioned numerous times in response to the DT concerns that the same concerns were had the previous year (when losing norton and McIntosh).

Go back to that thread and other threads. He was unnecessarily downplayed. It will continue to play out unless Nesta returns and makes a leap.

I got wrecked on here for saying the same thing you were. I made a point that if we pass on Neal this year and he goes to Pitt we deserve to get blown up by him. We’ve been lacking DT’s for years and this year wouldn’t be any different. I got told we had an AA last year and I was overreacting.

Advertisement

What am I trying to say?

Now realize he was WR2 for SUNY-Buffalo and came here and was immediately our WR1. Now readjust what you think of the Mark Pope, Brian Hightower, and Mike Harleys of the world. Their time is nearly up to show that they are legitimately top guys. The guy that I want to see? Jeremiah Payton. Is he a DUDE or just a guy? I'd like to know that.

solid

Advertisement

What am I trying to say?

Excellent post.

What am I trying to say?

This should be required reading when discussing stars, recruiting, development and Miami talent-level in general. It's genius and makes a world of sense.
Also eye-opening that the No. 2 receiver from SUNY-Buffalo transfers in and is the most accomplished of our receivers and a team leader.

This should be required reading when discussing stars, recruiting, development and Miami talent-level in general. It's genius and makes a world of sense.
Also eye-opening that the No. 2 receiver from SUNY-Buffalo transfers in and is the most accomplished of our receivers and a team leader.

Means the WR room is trash and the previous offensive staff couldn’t evaluate WRs. Has Dugans ever developed anyone?

Advertisement
Back