Position Coach Preferences, WR group

View as article

LuCane

Administrator
Administrator
One of the things I'll look for against UNC is the WR snap count. Perhaps UF was an anomaly, but I watched a bunch of quick guys lineup together toward the end of the game. It was odd to me. First, I wish the press would ask Coach Enos who decides the position personnel groupings during the game. Then, I'd ask our WR coach what he looks for in his WRs.

Why? Because I think too often position coaches look for themselves in players. A DB coach sometimes gravitates toward players who have attributes they may have had. The coach knows what to do with those attributes and often values them more, so intentionally or not, his players get judged on those. For the record, I think this is a problem. I think a position coach should judge players for how they fit the overall scheme, but many might not be able to see the big picture while in the weeds. Maybe we're doing that to fit Enos' scheme needs. I don't know yet.

If you look at our WR coach's history, he's a technical dude who focuses on getting in and out of breaks, quicks and overall awareness. I haven't watched enough practice to say, but I was disappointed with Brian Hightower's snap count in Game1 because I thought he was a good matchup as the Split End to body the UF corners. That's just one example.

UF was only one game and maybe my gut is wrong here to even look for this, but I think it's important to identify the beginning of a trend. We can begin to do that with what our WR groupings will look like against UNC.

Advertisement
Interesting theory.

I think we all questioned the WR groupings. Tate goes without saying, but the big guys barely played at all.

I hate the fade play, especially in the end zone. But in order to have a chance at converting it, you need an accurate qb... which we have. In fact, I think I remember fall camp practice clips where Jarren was basically hitting the back corner pylon at will. Give those big dudes a chance.

Again, we are working off a one game sample size in a tough spot. The next few weeks will be a lot more telling. Something to keep an eye on, for sure.

it was a mystery to many of us why Hightower got so few snaps and Martell got so many.
Heard various explanations about packages and whatnot. First of all, I think we lost ourselves in that second half. We came out with one identity and, for multiple reasons, got scattered in that second half. So maybe that played a part. But, the ‘quick guy’ preference stood out.

Listen, I’m probably one of the biggest proponents of the shuttle on this board. It’s insanely critical for a lot of little things, especially at the next level. But, there’s also something to be said for frame, wingspan and body control - especially in the college game. Hightower is in the best position (I think even more than Osborne) to get us consistency in the intermediate game. Let’s hope we see it.

Advertisement
Aside from Thomas and Osborn...can they get open?
That’s a good question. My answer to someone who asked and threw back my obsession with separation/shuttle in my face was this: In college, does it matter as much? You can win in multiple ways in college. I strongly doubt CBs can hang with Hightower boxing them out whether he’s created separation or not, for example.

If I can recall correctly, I think both of Sam Howells touchdowns against South Carolina came on 50-50 jump balls to his receivers. I say that to say Enos needs to play the bigger receivers more and tell Jarren dont be scared to give them an opportunity in one on one situations.

Advertisement
If out of Tate/Hightower/Pope Tate is the one with the most reps again as WR fire Enos immediately.

I can understand the UF game getting out of hand and losing count of how many snaps those three were getting, but to do it again means Enos is signing off on it.

Advertisement
the other attribute besides lack of height that osborne, thomas, and harley share is experience. so we'll see. we're going into another road night game so it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of the younger guys don't see much of the field again.

personally, i would probably look at the virginia game as a benchmark. by that point we'll be coming off three straight home games and will be facing the likely other best team in our division... i feel like it will be pretty clear by that point which players (at all positions) are trusted enough to get PT against the meat of our schedule

I knew this would trigger the Martell played 100 snaps crew and now we’re firing Enos if Tate plays too much again? Wowzers.

Hightower is the only one with a legit gripe IMO but again it was just 1 game, on a huge stage, not surprised they stuck with who they trusted most.

Manny said there will be more rotation going forward.

Hightower didn't show great separation in any of his high school tape. Don't think it's outrageous to think that hasn't changes at this level. Is he separating in practice?

Advertisement
I knew this would trigger the Martell played 100 snaps crew and now we’re firing Enos if Tate plays too much again? Wowzers.

Hightower is the only one with a legit gripe IMO but again it was just 1 game, on a huge stage, not surprised they stuck with who they trusted most.

Manny said there will be more rotation going forward.

Tate isn't the only "Quick/Small" WR that got tons of snaps that game. Not only that, the OP didn't even say Tate at all. Why so defensive?

If out of Tate/Hightower/Pope Tate is the one with the most reps again as WR fire Enos immediately.

I can understand the UF game getting out of hand and losing count of how many snaps those three were getting, but to do it again means Enos is signing off on it.

:monkey-serious:

Advertisement
Back