Position Coach Preferences, WR group

View as article
Advertisement
Tate isn't the only "Quick/Small" WR that got tons of snaps that game. Not only that, the OP didn't even say Tate at all. Why so defensive?

Not talking about OP and I’m not defensive, that’s the thing, idgaf who plays. I figured his post would trigger the Tate plays too much crowd and I’m tired of all the whining about it after just 1 game.

I'm kind of starting to wonder... is Mark Pope gonna make an impact at Miami? Only two catches in his career so far...

The best thing noodles could do is redshirt, would've served him well thus far, his problem is concepts and playbook, until he doesnt have to be told where to go, he'd be much more effective, he should redshirt this year, focus on the new playbook, cause he didnt learn the last one, than come out blazing next year on osborn dips out!

Advertisement
One of the things I'll look for against UNC is the WR snap count. Perhaps UF was an anomaly, but I watched a bunch of quick guys lineup together toward the end of the game. It was odd to me. First, I wish the press would ask Coach Enos who decides the position personnel groupings during the game. Then, I'd ask our WR coach what he looks for in his WRs.

Why? Because I think too often position coaches look for themselves in players. A DB coach sometimes gravitates toward players who have attributes they may have had. The coach knows what to do with those attributes and often values them more, so intentionally or not, his players get judged on those. For the record, I think this is a problem. I think a position coach should judge players for how they fit the overall scheme, but many might not be able to see the big picture while in the weeds. Maybe we're doing that to fit Enos' scheme needs. I don't know yet.

If you look at our WR coach's history, he's a technical dude who focuses on getting in and out of breaks, quicks and overall awareness. I haven't watched enough practice to say, but I was disappointed with Brian Hightower's snap count in Game1 because I thought he was a good matchup as the Split End to body the UF corners. That's just one example.

UF was only one game and maybe my gut is wrong here to even look for this, but I think it's important to identify the beginning of a trend. We can begin to do that with what our WR groupings will look like against UNC.

It's interesting food for thought, but until we know what's going on in practice, who knows the playbook and who is catching the ball well, even a full season's worth of data is not enough to tell us anything too significant. As much as I really like Hightower and Wiggins, both have been inconsistent.

This is definitely interesting food for thought, but I am interested in production and wins, not individual snap counts. That said, I also do agree that you need a mixture of body types, and particularly at the higher levels of CFB, you need at least some big bodied receivers with large catch radius to make the plays at the big time moments when windows get tighter. I would also like to see more of those guys on the field and in our recruiting classes. But like I said, while it's an interesting and reasonable theory, we need more than a few games or even a whole season to really tell if it's the coach or just coincidence that the guys in the room stepping up happen to be of the smaller stature guys.

Careful with this board, Lu, while you and many others can distinguish among the shades of grey, too many will see Tate on the field for more snaps than Pope tomorrow night and want the whole "staph" fired because "bias". But, yeah, I'm picking up what you're putting out.

Can I say the same thing about Harley? Good blocker and deserves to see the field, but gimme dat Osborne, JT, Hightower lineup with JT in the slot.

That's the main reason harley plays, because since he's been here, he's been one of our best blocking wideouts, but also one of our best and trusted route runners. He understands route running concepts bettter, case in point, when jt4 caught that square in for a 1st down on 3rd and 15. So while harley has not been making alot of catches, he definitely knows what he is doing out their and elevates the passing game. The pope on his only catch, that was a terrible route, and he looked a lil lost, he also slipped, he needs to keep working, the talent is their tho, plus you cant run receiver screens to his side unless he's getting the ball, but his nor hightower's blocking are where they should be.

Also, hightower like pope are trying to grasp this new playbook, hightower is not the type of receiver that stubblefield's teaching techniques will mess right away, we'll see though if stubblefield coaches to his players strengths or just to the same technique for everybody. That is the one thing coach richt and coach dugans were keen on, coaching to a players strengths, if you're a big receiver, that was going to be the emphasis, but the good news about stubblefield, you not playing much if he cant trust you in live game situations, he'll just go with who knows ttheir stuff, so if guys really want to play, they know what they gotta do, seems like the days of handing out participation trophies at wideout are over with!

Im looking for coach brown to try something drastic if given a chance cause he knows he doesnt want to take the chance of having to play from behind( by more than 7 points) against our defense, so they'll try and shorten up the game tomorrow night!

Advertisement
Qb got sacked 10 times..pressured 20 and we wondering why the WRS Didn’t have more of a impact down the field

Qb got sacked 10 times..pressured 20 and we wondering why the WRS Didn’t have more of a impact down the field
I don't think that's what we're wondering in this thread. Unless you're referring to something else and I missed it.

Advertisement
I don't think that's what we're wondering in this thread. Unless you're referring to something else and I missed it.
No, not directly but why else would you bring up wr snap counts? If not to say we need their talent to make a bigger impact then they did vs UF. And I’d say we need better oline play/QB awareness in order for the WRs to make a bigger impact. We hadJT4 open for at least 3 chunk plays, one that would’ve went for 7. Brevin was open for a big play..Jarren missed Harley and Osborn on 3 plays on the final drive. My point it is it wasn’t that our guys couldn’t get open, it’s that we left a lot of plays on the field. If the oline played better, and Jarren saw the field better, the WRS would’ve ate and threads wondering about what WRS are on the field wouldn’t exist..wouldn’t have made a difference who the WRS were..I’ll say this tho as much as MR got slack for throwing constant fades in the RZ, I’d actually like to see us use it

No, not directly but why else would you bring up wr snap counts? If not to say we need their talent to make a bigger impact then they did vs UF. And I’d say we need better oline play/QB awareness in order for the WRs to make a bigger impact. We hadJT4 open for at least 3 chunk plays, one that would’ve went for 7. Brevin was open for a big play..Jarren missed Harley and Osborn on 3 plays on the final drive. My point it is it wasn’t that our guys couldn’t get open, it’s that we left a lot of plays on the field. If the oline played better, and Jarren saw the field better, the WRS would’ve ate and threads wondering about what WRS are on the field wouldn’t exist
I brought it up for the specific reasons I outlined in the OP. No additional assumptions necessary. It's already chatter by some around the program: how, who and for what reasons we're choosing WR groupings. It is ONLY one game (as everyone here agrees), but I expect it to be a topic for remainder of season and that's why I made a post about looking for it starting tomorrow.

Everything else you're talking about - plays downfield, missed plays, OL interplay, etc. - are separate topics to points about WR playing time and groupings.

I brought it up for the specific reasons I outlined in the OP. No additional assumptions necessary. It's already chatter by some around the program: how, who and for what reasons we're choosing WR groupings. It is ONLY one game (as everyone here agrees), but I expect it to be a topic for remainder of season and that's why I made a post about looking for it starting tomorrow.

Everything else you're talking about - plays downfield, missed plays, OL interplay, etc. - are separate topics to points about WR playing time and groupings.
Gotchu bro

Advertisement
Play them all. Next step is hitting the wide open ones. If that happened against Florida, we wouldn’t be so worried about snap count....
You put it short and better than I did..if we hit those cats who were open, nobody is counting wr snap. Why? Because production would be there and nobody would care.

That’s a good question. My answer to someone who asked and threw back my obsession with separation/shuttle in my face was this: In college, does it matter as much? You can win in multiple ways in college. I strongly doubt CBs can hang with Hightower boxing them out whether he’s created separation or not, for example.

You could list countless examples of this in college especially with the larger wide receivers

Hightower didn’t get too many snaps with Dugans/Richt either. I’m not knocking him but I’m genuinely curious as to why people think he’s getting hosed on playing time... what has he shown that makes him deserving of more snaps?

Hightower didn’t get too many snaps with Dugans/Richt either. I’m not knocking him but I’m genuinely curious as to why people think he’s getting hosed on playing time... what has he shown that makes him deserving of more snaps?
Got to watch a lot of practice in Spring of 2018 and some in Fall of 2018. It was the basis for my excitement for him as a Split End. Last year was going to be tough for him to beat out certain older guys.

Advertisement
Back