Poor play

Instead of bashing the OL, can we first admit that Clemson’s defense is stacked. All 4 of their DL are top 15 picks. Numerous 2-3 rounders at Lb and DB. Bad QB. 3 best players on the team (Herndon, Richard and Walton) out. Clemson did the same thing to Ohio State last year in fiesta bowl. This isn’t very complex. There is nothing Richt could have done differently. We had open guys and opportunities and we didn’t make plays.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Disappointing. Clemson was more prepared in all three phases. I expected more from the defense. Three-yard losses were two-yard gains.

Before we kill Richt, think about how much he got out of Rosier. Looks like it will be an open battle next year.

Thoughts on the OL, OL depth, and Searels.

OL is fine and will get better. It's hard to run when no one respects your passing game.

It's hard to pass when no one respects your run game.

Except WRs were open but Malik missed them

Oh absolutely, but most teams try to establish the run first. We never do that, and it puts all the pressure on the QB. And I think we all know that's not always a great idea.

You play with fire when you depend on an erratic, one read QB to carry the load.

This type of guy needs the Great Wall of China protecting him and a run game to limit his flaws.

Glad someone brought up the defense. Offense should get killed for that performance, but the defense in that 1st quarter was horrendous.

Those performances where the Toledo, Virginia, North Carolina and Syracuse QB's all looked like Aaron Rodgers weren't coincidence. Another game tonight where the QB started off 10/10 or some bs like that.

I have never seen a coordinator at Miami so excused for having what is a mediocre defense.

Do not agree. I think this is a fallacy that teams are loading the box against us. When I watch the games I see 6 or 7 guys in the box and teams have no problem killing our run game.

Our offensive linemen don't hit anybody. It's a wimp running game designed around angles and flow. Always doomed to physical avalanche against an opponent like this. Late in the season I posted on Finheaven that if we played Alabama we might get beat by a similar score as the 2015 Clemson game. Obviously we're far superior to 2015 but games like that take on a shell shocked mode when the upstart team is in disbelief that they aren't what they thought they were, and everything tends to snowball. That comment was prior to the Alabama injuries, BTW. But it always looked logical that once the Canes lost it would be with a thud.

Georgia has been averaging 45 rushes per game while the Canes have tried to pretend that 32 was sufficient. That is pure stupidity and frailty. All season that rushing attempt per game category has hinted at Miami as a fraud. We finally made a nice uptick in passing defense last season and especially this season but we nullify it via refusal to run the **** football. And when we do run it the play is some type of weakling influence play instead of straight ahead smack. Georgia was eligible to rebound in a huge game because they have the correct blueprint of physical frequent power running combined with an aggressive effective pass defense.. The Canes are still partial pretenders.

And if we line up in the shotgun RPO again and run the ball seldom, we'll continue to be less than legit, no matter who the quarterback is. Right now I don't think Richt would run the ball sufficiently even if we had a stable of backs like Georgia. Richt was already moving away from the run in his final years there, with only one recent season (2014) above 40 rushes per game. Under Kirby Smart they averaged 41 last season and now the 45 this year.

Advertisement
We need better QB play at Miami. If we're not confident that Perry or Williams are that guy, then we need to go get a JUCO or a transfer.

Rosier can't start for us in 2018

I agree Rosier can't start next year, have to find another option.

Instead of bashing the OL, can we first admit that Clemson’s defense is stacked. All 4 of their DL are top 15 picks. Numerous 2-3 rounders at Lb and DB. Bad QB. 3 best players on the team (Herndon, Richard and Walton) out. Clemson did the same thing to Ohio State last year in fiesta bowl. This isn’t very complex. There is nothing Richt could have done differently. We had open guys and opportunities and we didn’t make plays.

And Pitt's DL?

Advertisement
why the **** would we want helfrich anyway?

if the guy was good like another poster already said, he'd AT LEAST be an offensive coordinator somewhere

So now the Rosier sucking excuse has spread to the ol?

Rosier sucks but he's taking all the heat from Richt and now the ol.

I watched ol get dominated by 7 man fronts , and not get inches against good or bad teams. Consistently. That starting five is average at best , there needs to be changes or we'll continue to struggle. It's weak and soft.

why the **** would we want helfrich anyway?

if the guy was good like another poster already said, he'd AT LEAST be an offensive coordinator somewhere

Dude is sitting pretty with his buyout, I don't blame him for chilling.

Chirp will probably grab him up doe.

And Pitt's DL?

And unc

Advertisement
Do not agree. I think this is a fallacy that teams are loading the box against us. When I watch the games I see 6 or 7 guys in the box and teams have no problem killing our run game.

Our offensive linemen don't hit anybody. It's a wimp running game designed around angles and flow. Always doomed to physical avalanche against an opponent like this. Late in the season I posted on Finheaven that if we played Alabama we might get beat by a similar score as the 2015 Clemson game. Obviously we're far superior to 2015 but games like that take on a shell shocked mode when the upstart team is in disbelief that they aren't what they thought they were, and everything tends to snowball. That comment was prior to the Alabama injuries, BTW. But it always looked logical that once the Canes lost it would be with a thud.

Georgia has been averaging 45 rushes per game while the Canes have tried to pretend that 32 was sufficient. That is pure stupidity and frailty. All season that rushing attempt per game category has hinted at Miami as a fraud. We finally made a nice uptick in passing defense last season and especially this season but we nullify it via refusal to run the **** football. And when we do run it the play is some type of weakling influence play instead of straight ahead smack. Georgia was eligible to rebound in a huge game because they have the correct blueprint of physical frequent power running combined with an aggressive effective pass defense.. The Canes are still partial pretenders.

And if we line up in the shotgun RPO again and run the ball seldom, we'll continue to be less than legit, no matter who the quarterback is. Right now I don't think Richt would run the ball sufficiently even if we had a stable of backs like Georgia. Richt was already moving away from the run in his final years there, with only one recent season (2014) above 40 rushes per game. Under Kirby Smart they averaged 41 last season and now the 45 this year.

Lost of truth here.

Lost of truth here.

we've tried power running, the offensive line sucks monkey ********s

we haven't done it lately ( cuz it doesn't work with this oline ) but we did it plenty in the first few games

no push on bethune, none on toledo

Disappointing. Clemson was more prepared in all three phases. I expected more from the defense. Three-yard losses were two-yard gains.

Before we kill Richt, think about how much he got out of Rosier. Looks like it will be an open battle next year.

Completely agree

Advertisement

OL is fine and will get better. It's hard to run when no one respects your passing game.

The OL is far from fine and yes, it makes it even worse when no one respects your passing game.

OL is fine? C’mon, D. Also hard to run when everyone knows you’re about to run (in 2nd downs particurlry). OL can’t even pass protect against Pitt. Have to disagree with you on this one. This is an issue that needs to be resolved just as much, if not more than the QB. Our playcalling doesn’t help either.
Agreed; OL is NOT fine. And all that talk about “Going up against one of the best DLs in the country in practice every day...” is talk, because they’ve been mauled by lesser DLs.

And, it wasn’t just Pitt! OL struggled mightily with nearly every team this year. Those struggles were masked by Rosier “gimmick” runs and the occasional (accidental?) big play by Homer (or Walton before he went down).

Miami is one of the worst teams in the country on short yardage!!! Every defense expects a run on short yardage...Miami is one of the worst.

But the OL is fine?

Advertisement
Back