Poor play

Not surprised or even disheartened by the offense. I didn’t see it with them all year, and we couldn’t overcome the injuries.

Defense was really disappointing and bugged me. Clemson’s offense isn’t that great.

Advertisement
Disappointing. Clemson was more prepared in all three phases. I expected more from the defense. Three-yard losses were two-yard gains.

Before we kill Richt, think about how much he got out of Rosier. Looks like it will be an open battle next year.

Thoughts on the OL, OL depth, and Searels.

OL is fine and will get better. It's hard to run when no one respects your passing game.

Do not agree. I think this is a fallacy that teams are loading the box against us. When I watch the games I see 6 or 7 guys in the box and teams have no problem killing our run game.
I agree, we've seen teams handle us with their base fronts.

The fact is when the throws were there in the first half rosier couldn’t make them. We may not have won but who knows jt4 had a td and got underthrown and that’s just one. We couldn’t back them off us and it showed. You can’t heat a team as good as Clemson and leave plays on the field.

This.. and we left ALL but one play on the field and that was the muffed punt recovery.. and didn't get points out of that smh

Disappointing. Clemson was more prepared in all three phases. I expected more from the defense. Three-yard losses were two-yard gains.

Before we kill Richt, think about how much he got out of Rosier. Looks like it will be an open battle next year.

OL is fine and will get better. It's hard to run when no one respects your passing game.

OL is fine? C’mon, D. Also hard to run when everyone knows you’re about to run (in 2nd downs particurlry). OL can’t even pass protect against Pitt. Have to disagree with you on this one. This is an issue that needs to be resolved just as much, if not more than the QB. Our playcalling doesn’t help either.
Agreed; OL is NOT fine. And all that talk about “Going up against one of the best DLs in the country in practice every day...” is talk, because they’ve been mauled by lesser DLs.

And, it wasn’t just Pitt! OL struggled mightily with nearly every team this year. Those struggles were masked by Rosier “gimmick” runs and the occasional (accidental?) big play by Homer (or Walton before he went down).

Miami is one of the worst teams in the country on short yardage!!! Every defense expects a run on short yardage...Miami is one of the worst.

But the OL is fine?

You’re correct. The OL struggled in many games this season. Not just Pitt.

OL had no problem with VT or ND.

Are they elite? Far from it. The guards are a weak link and we still need to get more physically dominant. Recruiting guys like Scaife, Reed and Gaynor will help.

But 2001 skewed a lot of people’s perceptions. We’ve won titles with less talented OLs. Pitt loaded the box against us every snap and we didn’t have anything in the passing game to keep Clemson’s elite front seven off balance. That is our biggest problem on offense.

Advertisement
Re: short-yardage, OL obviously has blame but so does playcalling and recruiting. We should have had a stopgap blocking TE and FB. I hope we scour the grad transfer market.

OL had no problem with VT or ND.

Are they elite? Far from it. The guards are a weak link and we still need to get more physically dominant. Recruiting guys like Scaife, Reed and Gaynor will help.

But 2001 skewed a lot of people’s perceptions. We’ve won titles with less talented OLs. Pitt loaded the box against us every snap and we didn’t have anything in the passing game to keep Clemson’s elite front seven off balance. That is our biggest problem on offense.

The ol was whipped all year , there was a long run here and there but that unit was bad to average majority of the season,

They had issues against freaking Toledo in short yardage. They couldn't blow anyone one off the ball. And alot of those times it was against a seven man box.

As for Nd and Vt we added more designed runs/draws with some scrambles but we ran that to death. Because it actually worked , then teams were expecting it and took it away the next few weeks.

The ol is average at best,luckily we'll have some new blood next year . Maybe a juco too.

Last edited:

It's hard to pass when no one respects your run game.
Well when teams are stacking the box constantly it's not because there worried about Rosier throwing the ball

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

They had issues against freaking Toledo in short yardage.

Walton ran for 204 yards in that game. This is what I mean when I say people only remember the bad plays.

Obviously they need to improve just like the rest of the team. I'm fine with their current direction.

This board tends overreact with the OL. A few years ago, we had an NFL coach (Stoutland) and an NFL OL and people were saying the exact same things.

Advertisement

Malik cant be the QB if we expect to beat LSU

Walton ran for 204 yards in that game. This is what I mean when I say people only remember the bad plays.

Obviously they need to improve just like the rest of the team. I'm fine with their current direction.

This board tends overreact with the OL. A few years ago, we had an NFL coach (Stoutland) and an NFL OL and people were saying the exact same things.

Yeah he ripped off some long runs in first half , which made stats look nice. But they stoned us multiple times on short yardage . And they defended the run a lot better in second half. I mean getting stoned by Toledo is pathetic but it as a sign of what was too come.

I mean did we ever get a third and one all year that wasn't a qb sneak ? They got abused weekly , and I really don't know what you were watching .

I mean to think we had a chance against Clemson was straight crazy imo, our ol vs that dl was an absolute mismatch. Anyone who watched both teams all year knew this . It was easy money.

Last edited:
Oline will struggle as long as qb play is subpar...still a great season... qb play handcuffed the whole offense but Richt got the most out of Rosier .. i think Richt handled Perry right, the same way jimbo handled Winston and it will pay off next year

Proves the point we need a better strength coach then.

Advertisement
Oline will struggle as long as qb play is subpar...still a great season... qb play handcuffed the whole offense but Richt got the most out of Rosier .. i think Richt handled Perry right, the same way jimbo handled Winston and it will pay off next year

I think blaming Rosier for everything makes everyone feel better for how overmatched we looked. But there's more issues than everyone thinks.

We need two more classes to be a legit title contender. Luckily we just had a super easy schedule to cover up flaws. And that's real talk.

I've been a fan 30+ years and delusion left a long time ago.

This right here

Do not agree. I think this is a fallacy that teams are loading the box against us. When I watch the games I see 6 or 7 guys in the box and teams have no problem killing our run game.

Our offensive linemen don't hit anybody. It's a wimp running game designed around angles and flow. Always doomed to physical avalanche against an opponent like this. Late in the season I posted on Finheaven that if we played Alabama we might get beat by a similar score as the 2015 Clemson game. Obviously we're far superior to 2015 but games like that take on a shell shocked mode when the upstart team is in disbelief that they aren't what they thought they were, and everything tends to snowball. That comment was prior to the Alabama injuries, BTW. But it always looked logical that once the Canes lost it would be with a thud.

Georgia has been averaging 45 rushes per game while the Canes have tried to pretend that 32 was sufficient. That is pure stupidity and frailty. All season that rushing attempt per game category has hinted at Miami as a fraud. We finally made a nice uptick in passing defense last season and especially this season but we nullify it via refusal to run the **** football. And when we do run it the play is some type of weakling influence play instead of straight ahead smack. Georgia was eligible to rebound in a huge game because they have the correct blueprint of physical frequent power running combined with an aggressive effective pass defense.. The Canes are still partial pretenders.

And if we line up in the shotgun RPO again and run the ball seldom, we'll continue to be less than legit, no matter who the quarterback is. Right now I don't think Richt would run the ball sufficiently even if we had a stable of backs like Georgia. Richt was already moving away from the run in his final years there, with only one recent season (2014) above 40 rushes per game. Under Kirby Smart they averaged 41 last season and now the 45 this year.
Ol' three yards and a cloud of dust *** [MENTION=2134]Awsi Dooger[/MENTION]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Advertisement
Instead of bashing the OL, can we first admit that Clemson’s defense is stacked. All 4 of their DL are top 15 picks. Numerous 2-3 rounders at Lb and DB. Bad QB. 3 best players on the team (Herndon, Richard and Walton) out. Clemson did the same thing to Ohio State last year in fiesta bowl. This isn’t very complex. There is nothing Richt could have done differently. We had open guys and opportunities and we didn’t make plays.

I saw 3rd string guys taking our oline lunch. I have seen Pitt slap our oline around and us have a hard time all season even get a yard when we need it against everybody. Oline is far from fine. Definition of fine would be standing toe to toe against the best and knowing we can hold our own. If you are making excuses that Clemson has talent then you don't believe we are fine.

They were rushing guys and had our olineman blocking air looking around while our qb got crushed. Not a cohesive unit. Not ready for big boys. We looked outclassed on the line. Period

Yeah he ripped off some long runs in first half , which made stats look nice. But they stoned us multiple times on short yardage . And they defended the run a lot better in second half. I mean getting stoned by Toledo is pathetic but it as a sign of what was too come.

I mean did we ever get a third and one all year that wasn't a qb sneak ? They got abused weekly , and I really don't know what you were watching .

I mean to think we had a chance against Clemson was straight crazy imo, our ol vs that dl was an absolute mismatch. Anyone who watched both teams all year knew this . It was easy money.
I don't get how you can think the o-line is fine with all the short yardage struggles. We were among the worst in the country in those situations and our goal line offense was horrendous. That is straight up on the O-line not being able to get any push and being physically dominated by the other team.

If you think the o-line is fine than you are implying there's something wrong with strength and conditioning.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Oline is far from fine. Definition of fine would be standing toe to toe against the best and knowing we can hold our own.

This is why I shouldn't post drunk and angry. Word choice suffers.

Are we "fine" as in, we don't need to improve? Of course not. We need to get more physical and the short-yardage stats speak for themselves. But there has been an overreaction IMO.

This is a solid pass-blocking line and the tackle combination is one of the better ones around. They performed very well in 2 of the 3 biggest games. They haven't had much help the past two weeks and just faced an elite front playing downhill.

People forget that most of Miami's title teams did not have physically dominant OLs. We still have room to get championship-caliber, but we don't need to be Alabama or Wisconsin.

It is Richt's job to get his Team ready to play, including his QB, which he has failed to do this year. No excuses. In my Quality Engineering world, the way we have performed this year as a Team, our inconsistencies and the Team's performance metrics, up/down, up/down, are defined as "AN OUT OF CONTROL PROCESS". It is up to Richt to fix these inconsistencies and no one else, and he has yet to prove that he can do this. I guarantee you that elite coaches like Saban, Meyer, etc., would have fixed the problem quickly. In my humble opinion in being a Canes fan for 40 years, Richt is not an Elite coach at all. He does not even come close. I love Richt though as a person. No one else even comes close.

Advertisement
Back