Poor play

Richt as an OC is handicapping our team. I was at the game and like all season we're predictable. ZERO CREATIVITY

"I was at the game" is one the worst reasons to list to make your point. You do realize that on TV you have a better view than 90% of the stadium?

Advertisement
OL had no problem with VT or ND.

Are they elite? Far from it. The guards are a weak link and we still need to get more physically dominant. Recruiting guys like Scaife, Reed and Gaynor will help.

But 2001 skewed a lot of people’s perceptions. We’ve won titles with less talented OLs. Pitt loaded the box against us every snap and we didn’t have anything in the passing game to keep Clemson’s elite front seven off balance. That is our biggest problem on offense.

Not even 2001. Just look at the lines we had at the end of the Shannon years/early Golden years. The ones with guys like Feliciano, Gunn, Seantrel, Flowers, the older McDermott and Linders, etc

Those lines moved people off the ball and were good enough to win championships with.

Stoutland's lines.

Disappointing. Clemson was more prepared in all three phases. I expected more from the defense. Three-yard losses were two-yard gains.

Before we kill Richt, think about how much he got out of Rosier. Looks like it will be an open battle next year.

It is Richt's job to get his Team ready to play, including his QB, which he has failed to do this year. No excuses. In my Quality Engineering world, the way we have performed this year as a Team, our inconsistencies and the Team's performance metrics, up/down, up/down, are defined as "AN OUT OF CONTROL PROCESS". It is up to Richt to fix these inconsistencies and no one else, and he has yet to prove that he can do this. I guarantee you that elite coaches like Saban, Meyer, etc., would have fixed the problem quickly. In my humble opinion in being a Canes fan for 40 years, Richt is not an Elite coach at all. He does not even come close. I love Richt though as a person. No one else even comes close.

The only way to fix the problem is recruiting. With your logic we should win with 12 year olds. It doesn’t work that way. You have to build a championship roster and that doesn’t happen in years following Golden’s recruiting.

They had issues against freaking Toledo in short yardage.

Walton ran for 204 yards in that game. This is what I mean when I say people only remember the bad plays.

Obviously they need to improve just like the rest of the team. I'm fine with their current direction.

This board tends overreact with the OL. A few years ago, we had an NFL coach (Stoutland) and an NFL OL and people were saying the exact same things.

Yeah he ripped off some long runs in first half , which made stats look nice. But they stoned us multiple times on short yardage . And they defended the run a lot better in second half. I mean getting stoned by Toledo is pathetic but it as a sign of what was too come.

I mean did we ever get a third and one all year that wasn't a qb sneak ? They got abused weekly , and I really don't know what you were watching .

I mean to think we had a chance against Clemson was straight crazy imo, our ol vs that dl was an absolute mismatch. Anyone who watched both teams all year knew this . It was easy money.

We actually converted one last night and another one or two previously this season.

Rozier has zero to do with why we lost.

Take a minute and watch 3 plays in this video and you will realize Rosier is the least of our problems. I only see one massive problem with this team going forward and it's summed up in three total highlight plays.

[video=youtube;HzsdXzIBr1U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzsdXzIBr1U[/video]

Watch carefully at the 3:10 mark. I have literally watched it 50 times in the last hour, over and over again. At one point we have 4 guys blocking 2 guys and 1 guy at the bottom blocking NO one. All while a Clemson DL walks right into destroy Rozier. Again, 4 of our guys blocking 2 of their guys and 1 of our guys dancing around looking for something to do. If someone can GIF this play it will demonstrate how bad things are but also how close we may be at the same time. Once you are done with the 3:10 mark, take a look at the the 1:40 (Why is Darling not peeling back, he's not needed down there) and the 2:32 (Donaldson doing the matador) plays.

Advertisement
The game was over when rosier failed to lead Thomas on our first drive. That was a td that was taken off the board. I was at the game and couldn’t tell if there was any pass interference. After getting home and watch8ng the game, there was clear pass intereference. With that being said, Thomas blew by that motherfkr and Rosier missed him.

Advertisement
Disappointing. Clemson was more prepared in all three phases. I expected more from the defense. Three-yard losses were two-yard gains.

Before we kill Richt, think about how much he got out of Rosier. Looks like it will be an open battle next year.

Thoughts on the OL, OL depth, and Searels.

OL is fine and will get better. It's hard to run when no one respects your passing game.

No O-Line is not fine. But yes we should get better on O-Line. 3 things we need to be a championship caliber team are:
1) much, much better QB play.
2) much, much better O-Line play
3) much, much better D-Line play

Oline is far from fine. Definition of fine would be standing toe to toe against the best and knowing we can hold our own.

This is why I shouldn't post drunk and angry. Word choice suffers.

Are we "fine" as in, we don't need to improve? Of course not. We need to get more physical and the short-yardage stats speak for themselves. But there has been an overreaction IMO.

This is a solid pass-blocking line and the tackle combination is one of the better ones around. They performed very well in 2 of the 3 biggest games. They haven't had much help the past two weeks and just faced an elite front playing downhill.

People forget that most of Miami's title teams did not have physically dominant OLs. We still have room to get championship-caliber, but we don't need to be Alabama or Wisconsin.

Darling and Donaldson really got abused last night. Donaldson has to lose 25 pounds. Can't just maul at guard or try to do so. You need athleticism there.

Advertisement
Darling and Donaldson really got abused last night. Donaldson has to lose 25 pounds. Can't just maul at guard or try to do so. You need athleticism there.

Hate to say this about a senior, but Darling has been a disappointment. Weak link on the OL this year.

I'd like to see Gauthier move to LG with Gaynor taking over at C. We were at our best as a power-running team when Gauthier played there in the second half of 2016.

Disappointing. Clemson was more prepared in all three phases. I expected more from the defense. Three

I totally disagree with you. I am originally from Miami but lived in Georgia for 20 years where the only thing you hear about is UGA football. I just also happened to keep up with UGA football. All you have to do is look up MR's coaching record. Richt consistently recruited top 5 classes, year in, year out, but he also consistently lost 2-3 games a year and ended up in Orlando/Tampa Bowls. This is the basic reason UGA got rid of him and now look at what Kirby Smart has done with a roster full of Richt's recruits.

Advertisement
Thoughts on the OL, OL depth, and Searels.

OL is fine and will get better. It's hard to run when no one respects your passing game.

Do not agree. I think this is a fallacy that teams are loading the box against us. When I watch the games I see 6 or 7 guys in the box and teams have no problem killing our run game.
Part of it is talent along the OL and the other part is that both Walton and Homer don’t have good vision. Now there maybe a problem with coaching but it’s difficult to determine that. I mean we started a true freshman there this year. Unfortunately when posters bring up any constructive criticism especially when the team is winning they get destroyed. This season has gone better than expected.

I agree. Homer would be a great behind a monster ol that opens holes. He hits the hole hard, is fast and runs with power. But we don't do that. I've always been a big fan of the backs that have great vision and are slippery. The ones that find a way to slither for 5 yards on a 2 yard run and defenders can never seem to get a solid hit on them. Portis was this way. Walton and Homer are homerun or nothing guys. That leads to a lot of third and longs and three and outs. I really like what I've seen from Dallas. He has a knack for finding a hole and going for positive yardage. Wouldn't mind seeing him get a look as first string rb next fall.

I'm real anxious to see where Dallas ends up next fall. It's obvious that he needs more touches.

Disappointing. Clemson was more prepared in all three phases. I expected more from the defense. Three

I totally disagree with you. I am originally from Miami but lived in Georgia for 20 years where the only thing you hear about is UGA football. I just also happened to keep up with UGA football. All you have to do is look up MR's coaching record. Richt consistently recruited top 5 classes, year in, year out, but he also consistently lost 2-3 games a year and ended up in Orlando/Tampa Bowls. This is the basic reason UGA got rid of him and now look at what Kirby Smart has done with a roster full of Richt's recruits.

Accurate. However, let's give CMR a chance to fill up this roster with his own recruits and compare apples to apples.

I do not have a problem at all giving MR a chance. What I have a problem with is with most of our fans having unrealistic expectations of MR. He is who we thought he was. He has shown me in the first couple of years at the U exactly what he did at UGA. I hate to say it because I'm a die hard Canes fan, but we will be talking about this in a couple of years. Hope I'm dead wrong.

This was the 2012 ND game in Chicago.

A couple chances early that weren't capitalized on, and then a total avalanche where we were outclassed in every phase.

Advertisement
Back