Per Jon Richt no QB in 2019, potentially 2 in 2020 or Grad Transfer

Naw we recruited Cook and he was very interested even though he was committed to clemson at the time I believe but when coley flipped yearby (they were close) that hurt our chances with Cook imo

I'll take your word for it, but I have my doubts that Cook was ever really coming to Miami. I think he was one of those guys that flirts with us and says the right things, but doesn't have any intention of really ending up here. We were probably his Dream School®.

Advertisement
I pretty much know UM recruiting....But these QB recruiting fiascos the last 2yrs (beginning with Sits) has me scratching my head...

Preach brotha.

Baby Richt walking into a qb coach position with his experience honestly confused me.

Then looking at the recruiting the last couple years I’m baffled. Pickowski isn’t worth a walk-on spot at Um, and definitely not a scholarship qb, that’s the only take in a class. That dude literally showed nothing to get that offer,I have no idea what they were looking at.

@Rellyrell has spoken word for word on how I feel about the recruiting at the qb position. My dude killing it in this thread.

You apparently have not been paying attention to reports lately. in practice both Perry and Weldon have impressed and richt has spoke highly of them in recent days. Weldon in particular has been really good in most of the practices outside of the scrimmage and Perry supposedly did really well in the scrimmage. All of those guys have improved.
And without a doubt this is the most talented qb room Miami has had in a long time
And you apparently have never watched college football, or heard coach speak. It is like you don't know how astronomical the bust rate and transfer rate of college quarterbacks are, even among the highly rated ones. It is like you don't know that "camp reports" of players doing well happen every single off season, for a bunch of jags, on a bunch of teams. None of them are worth more than fake play signals until we see what they do in live action against big competition. Tons of QB's that look good in practice without bullets flying end up sucking and transferring.

As the article states, they are not taking a QB, so you should expect the staff to make all three of the young guys feel like they have legitimate shot of starting wether they do or not. In all their minds, they need to be the next great Miami QB or we are ****ed if anyone gets hurt next summer. If we do not take a QB we cannot afford to lose any of them. Going into next season with potentially only two scholarship quarterbacks is a catastrophic situation.

You guys seem to forget all the time that Richt has never won a championship as the head guy doing things his way. He has only won 2 conference titles in 20 years. The guy got fired from one of the best coaching gigs in the country, and was outshined by his successor on both the trail and in on field results in year two. It is ok for fans to question some of these decisions.

If you need proof go look at what happened to Wandy, three guys leave and we were stuck with Harris and a true fr Morris.

Harris was throwing ints like a mad man and there was nothing Shannon could do. And Jacory knew it, there was no competition or threat of him being pulled.

I’m not even going to count Spencer ( noodle arm) whipple. We all know why he was there .

Preach brotha.

Baby Richt walking into a qb coach position with his experience honestly confused me.

Then looking at the recruiting the last couple years I’m baffled. Pickowski isn’t worth a walk-on spot at Um, and definitely not a scholarship qb, that’s the only take in a class. That dude literally showed nothing to get that offer,I have no idea what they were looking at.

@Rellyrell has spoken word for word on how I feel about the recruiting at the qb position. My dude killing it in this thread.
So getting nkosi Perry, Cade Weldon and closing on Jarren Williams is a bad job recruiting the position the last 2 classes? Come on now man... they rectified the mistake with Sitkowski and got a top 80 player in the country with Jarren Williams what’s wrong with that? This year in this class is obviously fair criticism since we don’t have a qb and imo we should take one every year but I’m not going to act like there are a bevy of can’t miss qbs in this weak QB class either. In fact I dont See anyone we could possibly bring in this class beating out Williams or Perry in the future honestly. If he came or not Michael Johnson jr certainly wasn’t

Advertisement
I'll take your word for it, but I have my doubts that Cook was ever really coming to Miami. I think he was one of those guys that flirts with us and says the right things, but doesn't have any intention of really ending up here. We were probably his Dream School®.
He most definitely wanted to stay home and play for Miami but he also didn’t want to play with Joe anymore and when he chose us that was the nail in the coffin for Cook. Nothin more to that story.

So getting nkosi Perry, Cade Weldon and closing on Jarren Williams is a bad job recruiting the position the last 2 classes? Come on now man... they rectified the mistake with Sitkowski and got a top 80 player in the country with Jarren Williams what’s wrong with that? This year in this class is obviously fair criticism since we don’t have a qb and imo we should take one every year but I’m not going to act like there are a bevy of can’t miss qbs in this weak QB class either. In fact I dont See anyone we could possibly bring in this class beating out Williams or Perry in the future honestly. If he came or not Michael Johnson jr certainly wasn’t

Just thinking about taking Pickowski, then actually taking him as your lone qb is enough of a reason to question things a little.

They got lucky with Jarren , they came on late and grabbed him or we’d have two years without a Qb.

Weldon’s dad was coached by Richt , and is close with the richts . He also wasn’t a highly rated guy , without an offer from dads alma mater. So that’s not a great recruiting coup.
Kosi was committed to Al and was recommitting if the staff even tried a little.

Let’s be real , Jon is where he’s at because of who his daddy is , his resume is beyond meh.

Qb coach is an important position , especially with the lack of experience on the offensive staff. This is honestly more than recruiting for me , I never thought Jon should’ve been in suck important spot.

Just my opinion, I’m not thrilled by area of recruiting.

Jon Richt had Kaaya and Rozier to work with last two years two somewhat limited ability wise QB's. He supposedly is a good fundamental teacher of position, so am anxious to see how much Malik is improved this year and how a couple the young guys progresses this year and next.

Naw **** that.

His *** better still hit that trail and recruit somebody. Even if it's not a QB.

How you just gonna not perform a function that every other coach on staff has to ?

Put him on the JUCO circuit.
Yup. Josh Allen, Josh Jackson, and Justin Herbert all were JUCO guys.

Advertisement
There are quality QBs every year coming out of HS.

It's the younger Richt's job to identify them, recruit them and then land one (or more every few cycles).

Having quality depth across the board is what allows teams to compete year in and year out for championships.

It's also why the last DL coach left us in a bind.

It's not exactly ideal having to rely on a grad xfer DT and 2 freshmen to play and produce.

DL is another conversation

Jon Richt had Kaaya and Rozier to work with last two years two somewhat limited ability wise QB's. He supposedly is a good fundamental teacher of position, so am anxious to see how much Malik is improved this year and how a couple the young guys progresses this year and next.

Well that’s nice and all but Richt is really the qb coach , as he’s mentioned.

Jon does a little teaching but the qb’s belong to richt. Jon is at a big time football school, with a nice title for only one reason.

If his last name was smith it would be a way different story. Which is fine, nepotism is everywhere.

That’s just real talk though.

Advertisement
yall stay whining about Jon Richt like he was hired fresh out of high school with no knowledge of the game, just given a position so daddy can make sure he's financially stable?? and yes some of yall believe that bc some of yall are retarded.

Nobody cares about your ideologies when it comes to recruiting. Become a head coach at your local community college and go out and recruit as many negative 2 star QB recruits back to back to back to back to back to back to back. That'll show us how it's done.

Is The Million Dollar Arm Augie DeBiase still on the roster? Yes? That's what I thought. We have ZERO issues at the position then.

I personally have no issue at having depth (or perceived depth) at the position but the freakout over not grabbing someone every cycle because guys on your roster might transfer now because you essentially have TOO MUCH depth/competition is kinda overblown and comical. Williams/Perry/Weldon all would be fools to transfer within the next 2 seasons before one of them is entrenched as the clear starter.

He most definitely wanted to stay home and play for Miami but he also didn’t want to play with Joe anymore and when he chose us that was the nail in the coffin for Cook. Nothin more to that story.

I would accept that except every single time we don't get some stud the story is that they wanted to come to Miami but we didn't recruit them right.
Every.

Single.

Time.

Advertisement
Is The Million Dollar Arm Augie DeBiase still on the roster? Yes? That's what I thought. We have ZERO issues at the position then.

I personally have no issue at having depth (or perceived depth) at the position but the freakout over not grabbing someone every cycle because guys on your roster might transfer now because you essentially have TOO MUCH depth/competition is kinda overblown and comical. Williams/Perry/Weldon all would be fools to transfer within the next 2 seasons before one of them is entrenched as the clear starter.

I'm not one who assumes we will lose at least one guy per year to transfer, but we still need to take 1 QB per cycle or our sht gets out of whack. If nothing else, read that article about how rarely top HS QBs end up as starters and it starts to make sense that you want a guy every year.

The sky is not falling, but it's a mistake if we don't take a guy this cycle.

Richt was still at FSU when they had a horrible red-headed 3rd string QB (Marcus Outzen) trying to win a championship against Oklahoma - and that's why they lost.

Perhaps if they would have had someone who could actually throw the ball, they could have won.

If Outzen was their 3rd choice, they clearly didn't put enough emphasis on QBs then.

So, yes, Richt should be questioned - he hasn't won a championship as a HC and he was at least part of the reason they lost the '99 game since he was the OC/QB coach at the time and probably gave Bowden a lot of feedback on this topic.

And he also gave autonomy to the laziest coach on the staff. That was Snoozeagowski.

It seems his son is now most likely the laziest recruiter on staff.

Lol waaah we need a qb in every class face *** 😂😂 smh y’all really think u know better than Coach Richt. You don’t know better than Jon Richt relax.

Yep.

The only time Miami was loaded at the QB position was about 30 years ago - the pictures some have seen with Richt and a few others.

When we won it in '01 (and really in '02), behind Dorsey we had the waterboy.

We had nobody behind him (maybe Crudup was here in '02, but only Sands may have been the back-up in '01).

B; take off ur Canes shades for a minute...who were the 3 talented QBs?

-Perry has struggled, even rumored to not take the play book seriously.

-Weldon was this close to being dismissed and has not looked good

-J Will fortunately fail to us.

So let’s say next season, J Will (who I personally think is the best out of the bunch) wins out. Does Perry stay? Does Weldon stay?

Let me remind of u our QB room since the beginning of this decade, ONLY-Our depth chart for the last 7 years have been:

2010: Harris, Morris, AJ Highsmith, Gustav Carson, Spencer Whipple

2011: Harris, Morris, Ryan Williams

2012: Morris, Williams, Crow, Dewey

2013: Morris, Olsen, Williams, Crow, Dewey, Issac Hoza, Garrison Lassiter,

2014: Kaaya, Heaps, Olsen, Williams, Crow, Rosier, Michael Welch

2015: Kaaya, Crow, Hoza, Rosier, Sherieffs, Testaverde, Welch

2016: Kaaya, Allison, Rosier, Tucker Bierne,
Rosier

2017: Rosier, DeBiase, Perry, Weldon, Sherieffs, Testaverde

2018: Rosier, Williams, Perry, Weldon, DeBiase

Since 2010, our QB room has been **** poor. No competition. Finally we have some competition, and it’s forcing Rosier to stop taking the “aww shucks” approach. Our starting QBs for 13 yrs have had the “aww shucks” approach b/c who were they threatened by??

Competition breeds greatness. The 2018 QB have really good QBs, FOR NOW. If Williams wins the job next season, no way I can see Weldon or Perry staying. Allison was transfer bait, Olsen was transfer bait. You can’t strike out on the QB position, especially w the depth we have, currently.

I hated to go down nightmare lane, but imma need everyone to see what happens when u don’t recruit the QB position properly, and the room it left w. U’ll Have a room full of clip board guys; and now that we only have 4 starting caliber QBs on the roster at the moment,we’ll only be left w 3 next season!! W/ the potential of one if not two of the three transferring, WE ABSOLUTELY MUST TAKE A QB THIS CYCLE.

I would accept that except every single time we don't get some stud the story is that they wanted to come to Miami but we didn't recruit them right.
Every.

Single.

Time.
Hey its your prerogative man. That’s the straight up truth on that story and they’ll tell you themselves. Up to you to accept it or not.

On track with the thread, we need to flip someone’s QB commit just to get that extra body for insurance.

Advertisement
Back