Per Jon Richt no QB in 2019, potentially 2 in 2020 or Grad Transfer

canefrank

Redshirt Freshman
Per Barry Jackson of The Miami Herald on 8-13: See link: Two UM defensive players switch positions and another emerges as training camp surprise

Lots of good stuff in the article, the key for me is that basically since We lost on Michael Johnson Jr. We will not take a QB in 2019.

Also Manny Dias is very very impressed with Tito Odenigbo, to the point of saying that the defense has improved over the Spring thanks to him!

Per Jon Richt:

“Right now we’re in a position where we don’t have to (take a QB in the ‘19 class),” Richt said. . “We have two redshirt freshmen and then Jarren (Williams), who is a freshman. And we have Malik (Rosier), who is a senior. I pray none of them leave because I like all of them, think they’re all really good players and are all going to play for us at some point. But if one of these guys decides to bolt then we have to start figuring out what’s going on.

“But right now the plan is we’re OK, in a good position, feeling good. If that changes you’ll see some action happening. Maybe not in the ’19 class, but maybe a graduate transfer or something like that. And in ’20 we can take two.”

Read more here: Two UM defensive players switch positions and another emerges as training camp surprise

Advertisement
Naw **** that.

His *** better still hit that trail and recruit somebody. Even if it's not a QB.

How you just gonna not perform a function that every other coach on staff has to ?

Put him on the JUCO circuit.

I’m sorry, but that’s bull chit.

U went after ONE M’Fin QB who played against weak comp since his No. Cal days and now in Oregon and have been dropping in the rankings, INSTEAD of doing ur due diligence in going after other prospects. Horse Chit move by this staff, period.

Get ur ish together and go after another QB! What if N’Kosi and Weldon decide to leave if Williams is handed the reigns next season? What if Weldon decides to leave if Perry gets the reigns? That QB room should be filled w next man up QBs. We won’t get back to prominence until our QB situation is solid.

I'm the first one to give the staff the benefit of the doubt, but I think this is a mistake. I really think we should be looking at who the best available guys are. It's not ideal to take a kid who isn't Miami grade, but I really think a quality 3* kid is preferable to nobody. We're playing with fire only having 3 guys for next year...assuming nobody leaves or has a serious injury.

Advertisement
I'm the first one to give the staff the benefit of the doubt, but I think this is a mistake. I really think we should be looking at who the best available guys are. It's not ideal to take a kid who isn't Miami grade, but I really think a quality 3* kid is preferable to nobody. We're playing with fire only having 3 guys for next year...assuming nobody leaves or has a serious injury.
I’m sure some name will emerge over the next few months, we just got to let it play out. It’s a weak qb class and we don’t necessarily need to reach.if we can flip someone that would be good for sure.

As a kid, I worked for my Dad. He was brutally tough on me, much tougher than on anyone else. Mark’s kid has a massive recruiting failure on his plate this year. He kind of lucked into Williams and now scores a zero. Hiring him as a real coach was huge mistake on Mark’s part. He should have learned that from ole Bobby.

Advertisement
im just glad Joyner is at DE. that makes me feel better about next year because we all expect JJ to leave.
At least we will have 4 coming back if he leaves plus we can find a grad transfer im sure.

I’m sure some name will emerge over the next few months, we just got to let it play out. It’s a weak qb class and we don’t necessarily need to reach.if we can flip someone that would be good for sure.

The moment JR & SR Richt realized it was a weak QB class they should've been contacting capable grad transfers and Power 5 level JUCO QBs. Conceivably, they would've known this was a weak QB class in the spring. They should've been (from what we can tell) more proactive.

That's not to say they weren't. Maybe they're just not broadcasting their moves publicly but they're doing everything they can in private to snag a grad transfer or JUCO guy.

But we can only go by what they say and what we see.
And seemingly 'throwing an incomplete Hail Mary on 1st down and then sending the punt team out on 2nd down' doesn't seem to be a great strategy.

As a kid, I worked for my Dad. He was brutally tough on me, much tougher than on anyone else. Mark’s kid has a massive recruiting failure on his plate this year. He kind of lucked into Williams and now scores a zero. Hiring him as a real coach was huge mistake on Mark’s part. He should have learned that from ole Bobby.
how did he luck into williams? they have been here two years and pulled in Perry, Weldon (this was all mark richt) and Williams. you act like we are failing at the position. by all accounts those guys are viewed as good prospects.

The moment JR & SR Richt realized it was a weak QB class they should've been contacting capable grad transfers and Power 5 level JUCO QBs. Conceivably, they would've known this was a weak QB class in the spring. They should've been (from what we can tell) more proactive.

That's not to say they weren't. Maybe they're just not broadcasting their moves publicly but they're doing everything they can in private to snag a grad transfer or JUCO guy.

But we can only go by what they say and what we see.
And seemingly 'throwing an incomplete Hail Mary on 1st down and then sending the punt team out on 2nd down' doesn't seem to be a great strategy.
what grad transfer or juco is going to come and sit the bench?

Advertisement
Another reason why I'm not a fan of CMRjr.

#1) saying we don't have to take a QB, when none of the QBs he has brought in have even become a starter and it's pretty much a Golden rule to take a QB every cycle.

#2) His statement pretty much gives any QB on the team intent to now "bolt". WTF are you saying things like that to the media? Dumb statement, by a coach who is not ready for this level.

I’m sorry, but that’s bull chit.

U went after ONE M’Fin QB who played against weak comp since his No. Cal days and now in Oregon and have been dropping in the rankings, INSTEAD of doing ur due diligence in going after other prospects. Horse Chit move by this staff, period.

Get ur ish together and go after another QB! What if N’Kosi and Weldon decide to leave if Williams is handed the reigns next season? What if Weldon decides to leave if Perry gets the reigns? That QB room should be filled w next man up QBs. We won’t get back to prominence until our QB situation is solid.

Or the QB class was weak and they just decided to after 1 guy dur dur:kramer:

Advertisement
what grad transfer or juco is going to come and sit the bench?

Who knows? But you at least shoot your shot.

Maybe you get a confident kid that looks at Malik and says, "I can beat him in camp" or "If Malik gets injured, its either me or some freshmen. Easy money". Who knows? But you make the call whether you think they'll say yes or no.

And as I said in the last post, maybe they did. We don't know. But from the public comments, if we're to assume they pushed all their chips in on Michael Johnson Jr, and a hope that current QBs there will stay, the year after a kid transferred out, that's questionable.

how did he luck into williams? they have been here two years and pulled in Perry, Weldon (this was all mark richt) and Williams. you act like we are failing at the position. by all accounts those guys are viewed as good prospects.

Thing is Ohio state and auburn was recruiting him before Miami made a push for him and in an interview recently from Williams he even admitted that both Ohio state and auburn were his favorite teams growing up. So Jon Richt absolutely deserves credit for beating out those schools for Williams for sure

Or the QB class was weak and they just decided to after 1 guy dur dur:kramer:

Ooooooor, Lil Richt f’d his eval like he did w Pikowski. We got fortunate w J Will last cycle. He should’ve been on Tai or Spencer or Gunner or Halinski or Mertz or ****, even Gunnell. It is beyond stupid to focus on one QB, especially one who plays **** poor competition. QB is the single most important position in football, period.

Last edited:

@brock who says it’s weak? That’s been a parroted thought for a while. I’m not buying it. Is it top heavy? Yes; but to say it’s weak is bull chit. We put all our eggs in one basket, and that’s a **** poor decision no matter what position we’re recruiting, but especially QB. Just remember, we were FORTUNATE J Will fell to us. Last year would’ve been the same thing.

Advertisement
Back