Per Jon Richt no QB in 2019, potentially 2 in 2020 or Grad Transfer

With some of the logic in this thread we should be carrying 5-6 qbs. I can’t see any good qbs coming here when the roster is routinely stacked and they’re not expected to play for 3 years.

There’s just not a lot to gain taking a flyer this year that’ll never play. Even if one of the freshmen transfer and we get our top target next year we are still in a good position.

Someone even said get a grad transfer... just for the sake of taking a QB every year. I mean come on.

Advertisement
There are quality QBs every year coming out of HS.

It's the younger Richt's job to identify them, recruit them and then land one (or more every few cycles).

Having quality depth across the board is what allows teams to compete year in and year out for championships.

It's also why the last DL coach left us in a bind.

It's not exactly ideal having to rely on a grad xfer DT and 2 freshmen to play and produce.

With some of the logic in this thread we should be carrying 5-6 qbs. I can’t see any good qbs coming here when the roster is routinely stacked and they’re not expected to play for 3 years.

There’s just not a lot to gain taking a flyer this year that’ll never play. Even if one of the freshmen transfer and we get our top target next year we are still in a good position.

Someone even said get a grad transfer... just for the sake of taking a QB every year. I mean come on.

All the 4 and 5* WR and TE talent on this team, including a plethora of Savage RBs, with more to come, and you mean to tell me we can't qet a commitment from a Highly regarded 4 or 5* QB??.....Spin it how ya want, but our QB evaluations have been mediocre at best....Me personally, I'd have been all over Taisun Phommachanh...
266E1F51-AEA6-48DC-8420-706C9D8130CF.jpeg

:monkey-serious:

Advertisement
The staff always seems to operate under the assumption that people who might leave won't and won't worry about the fallout until it happens.

It is more likely one of these kids transfers than not. Why not prepare for that outcome instead? This strategy makes no practical sense to me.

I don't have an issue with not taking a QB in this class. I do have an issue with putting all of your eggs in one basket. If they had offered a couple of guys and struck out, I'd be more understanding but to offer one guy and then give up seems odd.

Facts are facts though and there are currently three QBs on the roster with at least 4 years of eligibility left. Two of them were very highly rated and the third has shown he's at least capable of being a p5 QB. Is it possible that one or even two of them eventually transfer? Sure. However, Miami is allowed to accept transfer QBs also. Everybody here cries about losing players who transfer while ignoring the fact that QBs are transferring out of schools all the time and Miami can easily pick one up.

I am absolutely against offering some random dude just because fans think we need to sign a QB every year. That's how Golden's roster got full of JAGs. What good is having depth if it's garbage depth?

Advertisement
The staff always seems to operate under the assumption that people who might leave won't and won't worry about the fallout until it happens.

It is more likely one of these kids transfers than not. Why not prepare for that outcome instead? This strategy makes no practical sense to me.

Was just about to type this out. Going in to 2019 with only 2 scholarship QBs is unacceptable. Lil Richt spent a year recruiting and came up with nothing, now his only job is to keep all 3 for next year.

Guys here are forgetting this is the worst QB cycle of all time. All the remaining QBs will have redshirted and none will have graduated. This means they are less likely to transfer next year. The QB competition will be real next year. An unproven #2 on the depth chart isn't going anywhere. The only way I see a transfer is if Malik goes down. Then one of the guys ball out as the starter this year. The staff better grab 2 next cycle and it looks like they will.

Advertisement
Guys here are forgetting this is the worst QB cycle of all time. All the remaining QBs will have redshirted and none will have graduated. This means they are less likely to transfer next year. The QB competition will be real next year. An unproven #2 on the depth chart isn't going anywhere. The only way I see a transfer is if Malik goes down. Then one of the guys ball out as the starter this year. The staff better grab 2 next cycle and it looks like they will.
IF HE DOS'NT LEAVE FOR THE NFL AFTER THIS YEAR LOOK FOR THIS GUY.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 2
Why the **** would they pursue a grad transfer who probably wouldn’t play here? Go get a guy for 2019 and then focus on Richt’s nephew for 2020. Can’t have a situation like in 2009 where Miami had Aj Highsmith behind Jacory then that was it.

Advertisement
Very lazy approach.

"We went after our #1 guy. He chose somewhere else, and it turns out we really dont need a qb this year. Maybe we get 2 next year"

I dont understand this at all. You never know what the future holds. Stack chips!!

Very lazy approach.

"We went after our #1 guy. He chose somewhere else, and it turns out we really dont need a qb this year. Maybe we get 2 next year"

I dont understand this at all. You never know what the future holds. Stack chips!!
Wrong. We have 3 QB's on the roster who are either True or RS Frosh. There is zero reason to waste a scholarship on a QB this year unless it's on a kid who has a legitimate chance at winning the job in the next two seasons. Short of kidnapping MJJ, the staff did everything humanly possible in that recruitment and lost. Simple as that. This is an extremely weak class at the position and we have to keep the depth chart attractive to blue chip signal callers. How did taking guys like Preston Dewey and Gray Crow work out for Al Golden?

I’m starting to think we never really had any intentions of taking a QB this class and little Richt just had a side piece in Oregon.

We still whining about this?

We missed out this year and that's that. Fast forward to next fall, we either have three coming back or two if one transfers. Two transferring, that is highly unlikely as you're automatically too two on the depth chart and some crappy play or an injury from starting.

So that leaves us with getting a JUCO or grad transfer. That or you take a look at a project this year.

Either way, I'm completely unconcerned.

Advertisement
Back