Per Jon Richt no QB in 2019, potentially 2 in 2020 or Grad Transfer

You gotta take one...every year. Sorry, its the rules. When you don't, it puts you in a bad spot in a future year of needing to overextend. You're also going to see attrition...it happens...players transfer, especially at the QB position. In this example, one or TWO of Williams, Perry, and Weldon won't it to graduation at this University...heck, two of them may not make it past spring football in 2019. That puts you in a really tough spot moving forward where the need to grab a QB is paramount to unrealistic standards.

If you don't think anyone is worth offering and recruiting...its AUGUST. Camp circuit is over...fall camps are starting and HS Football is starting soon...start scouting the fvck out of local, state, and regional quarterbacks that are uncommitted and find someone worthy of an offer.

If you can't find one...you aren't looking hard enough.

Advertisement
Final thing I will say on this.

The only QB offers I remember off the top of my head are MJ, Mertz, and Rattler.

Recruiting is a two way street. MJ was the only one who came here and gave us a thorough look over.

QB's typically commit early. They usually visit in the Spring or Summer and are off the board by the timr their senior year rolls around.

None of our other offers cared enough to come visit as is typical. I sincerely doubt it was because we threw it all at MJ, just dropping the recruitment of the others. We did end up just recruitinf MJ, but I firmly believe we were dropped or could tell it was such a longshot it wasn't worth the effort.

Rattler made a great choice in OU. Mertz went somewhat close to home in Wisconsin, much closer than here. Miami is a different world entirely from Kansas, not to mention far as ****.

As for Tai, they didn't want him. Maybe they came calling sometime after the verbal to Clemson, but he probably told them to go fly a kite. Neither school has an easy road for a QB recruit to start anytime soon, but Clemson is a bigtime offer.

Any other QB's offered, probably follows a similar path. We are top heavy with young QB's, three that will be here 2 to 3 years as of right now. There are no garauntees that any of them will transfer, likely one, but do you put your future in a possibility? Then add in our offense, what is it even? Now hopefully you see why were a tough sell this year.

Ball out this year, someone likely transfers, you can land an elite next year. The odds are more in your favor in every factor next year. This year, not so much.

You gotta take one...every year. Sorry, its the rules. When you don't, it puts you in a bad spot in a future year of needing to overextend. You're also going to see attrition...it happens...players transfer, especially at the QB position. In this example, one or TWO of Williams, Perry, and Weldon won't it to graduation at this University...heck, two of them may not make it past spring football in 2019. That puts you in a really tough spot moving forward where the need to grab a QB is paramount to unrealistic standards.

If you don't think anyone is worth offering and recruiting...its AUGUST. Camp circuit is over...fall camps are starting and HS Football is starting soon...start scouting the fvck out of local, state, and regional quarterbacks that are uncommitted and find someone worthy of an offer.

If you can't find one...you aren't looking hard enough.

You have to. Even if it's a project like ... Malik Rosier who just so happens to be our starting QB.

No one has given that dude more **** than me, but he just won 10 games and might win even more this year. You never know what kind of flower can blossom, but you can't just abandon the position.

Talking about taking two in 2020 after you just struck out in humiliating fashion on your ONE target this cycle. I'm not buying it.

These are the types of mistakes where one of us down the road tells all of us this is why the staff didn't succeed in Miami.

You have to. Even if it's a project like ... Malik Rosier who just so happens to be our starting QB.

No one has given that dude more **** than me, but he just won 10 games and might win even more this year. You never know what kind of flower can blossom, but you can't just abandon the position.

Talking about taking two in 2020 after you just struck out in humiliating fashion on your ONE target this cycle. I'm not buying it.

Miami is the kind of team that has evaluated quarterbacks like Quinton Flowers, Mike White, Denard Robinson, Jake Rudock, and Lamar Jackson and passed or offered them at another position without the chance of trying out at QB.

Given, that wasn't the Richt regime, but the Richt regime, while in Georgia, in the latter years, didn't exactly land Deshaun Watson (got him very late) or Cam Newton (the tale goes he recruited him as a TE). The failure to evaluate in-state QBs for both team and coach, isn't so hot right now. Unrelated, but a guy like Mack Brown took a nose-dive at a powerhouse like Texas because he simply failed to recruit guys like Robert Griffin III and Johnny Manziel in-state.

I think it just needs to be said, that you really need to evaluate QBs...and if you're Miami and you're digging for QBs in Oregon and Connecticut and that's all you got for this cycle...I'm sorry, but you need to look harder. Somebody is out there for this cycle.

I remember, back in the late Golden era...and D$ might want to chime in if he remembers it, but there was a camp over the summer with some senior and underclass QBs that participated...I'm pretty sure the names that were there included Mike White, John Wolford, John O'Korn, a kid from American Heritage whose name escapes me, Sean White, Peyton Bender...I'm just talking, tons of dudes that started a lot of college football games...all were in-state kids...and we didn't even accept phone calls from a single one of them. Meanwhile, we had like Vinny Testaverde's kid on the depth chart and a freshman Malik Rosier in the two deep. Was pretty ridiculous in hindsight.

Teddy Bridgewater, Blake Bortles, Jacoby Brissett, Trevor Seimien, Paxton Lynch, Brandon Doughty, Tyler Huntley, Chase Litton, Stephen Morris, Jacoby Brissett, Ryan Williams, Rakeem Cato, Nate Peterman, Thomas Sirk, Buckshot Calvert...

I'm done...I've listed off over 20 quarterbacks from the state of Florida that have started games in college football...I'm not even counting a lot of the studs that were UF and FSU guys off rip that would expand that number...just a lot of guys Miami missed out on or didn't recruit hard or well or whatever or passed on or whatever in the past like 7 or 8 years...

Don't miss the forest for the trees...the point is...QUARTERBACKS ARE OUT THERE...AND THEY ARE IN THE STATE OF FLORIDA...probably SOUTH FLORIDA...go find them. I would wager 90% of those guys would have taken a Miami offer and ran with it, if we evaluated, offered, and gave them a chance at the QB position. Maybe they aren't four and five star studs...but man, those guys ended up playing a lot of FBS college football, many of that at the P5 level, numerous have and still play pro football. Its an abnormal number...

And the sad part is, over the time period those QBs I rattled off...we had years where we didn't take a QB or years where we took QBs we took three-star OOS guys like Preston Dewey or Evan ******* Sherriffs, man.

Advertisement
We need a QB this cycle. I don't care if it's a diamond in the rough local guy, a JuCo with a checkered past or a transfer.

Look at LSU. Today they lost both their dual threat guys. LSU now has only 2 scholarship QBs on roster. If one of them goes down, their Augie DeBiase equivalent is one play away.

I'm gonna keep it most real. For 2019 the most likely starter is Jarren. He's the highest rated guy, best mechanics, and most upside. If Jarren isn't QB1 next year he will likely transfer and we would regret it for a while. Jarren is younger than both Perry and Weldon. Perry is likely gone after this year. I could see Weldon sticking around. Still, that is not enough quality depth. We need a guy this recruiting cycle.

It's ok guys, Jon's just decided to take the rest of the year off from recruiting.

We'll get em next year! U Family!

Rich basically got fired because he couldnthit on a qb. If he puts that on his son...it'll be alot of the same here as well if he aint winning. This S.fla group this year was weak...but i have to think there are some all conference types throughout the state this year.

Advertisement
You all just need something to ***** about. If you're advocating just taking a warm body, then why not just take a grad transfer next year? Whoever it is ain't beating out whoever wins QB1 next year so you're flailing around about next years 3rd QB at best...

If they don't like someone else in this class, grab a grad transfer(if you think 1 of 3 will transfer) after spring and take 2 next year. Is it optimal? No. Is it the end of the world though, absolutely not.

This is a class where you take a flier on a guy that you normally might not. I'd like to see them take a chance on a guy that might be a 3 year project, because at least then they won't be transferring out the second they don't win the job. Not every QB you take has to be a 4 or 5 star guy. Do some digging and find a diamond in the rough. It's better than not trying at all.

They are dreaming if they think one of the current guys won't transfer.

You all just need something to ***** about. If you're advocating just taking a warm body, then why not just take a grad transfer next year? Whoever it is ain't beating out whoever wins QB1 next year so you're flailing around about next years 3rd QB at best...

If they don't like someone else in this class, grab a grad transfer(if you think 1 of 3 will transfer) after spring and take 2 next year. Is it optimal? No. Is it the end of the world though, absolutely not.
I don't mind a grad transfer, but I'd prefer a guy that can get into the system and learn for 2-3 years, then compete for the starting job. Problem with so many QBs these days is they transfer if they don't win the job right away. I'm 100% fine with taking a chance on a project in a year like this. We don't NEED another guy thinking they will win the job the second they get on campus. We need one that will bust their butt to win the job down the line.

I'm not saying anyone is better than no one, but there are talented players out there that deserve a look.

Advertisement
Why not recruit the Daniels kid from Cali? He’s top 100 in the country and is getting crystal balled to Utah of all places

Last edited:
This is about as broad as one can get when talking recruiting but I wouldn't necessarily hate it if I heard that we poached one of the MAC's top QB recruits. That conference has occasionally produced some decent chit at that position over the years.

Doesn't even have to be the MAC, necessarily. Could be a program like Duke, North Carolina, or any of the Big 12 /Big 10 also-rans. Just find a program with a coach who is a known QB guy at a program like that, and straight up steal their #1 guy.

Advertisement
Rich basically got fired because he couldnthit on a qb. If he puts that on his son...it'll be alot of the same here as well if he aint winning. This S.fla group this year was weak...but i have to think there are some all conference types throughout the state this year.

QB and OL.

Why not recruit the Daniels kid from Cali? He’s top 100 in the country and is getting crystal balled to Utah of all places

Thank u! Finally, ur seeing what I’m saying. There are still fish in the sea.

U can’t be great if u stay complacent. U can’t be great if u don’t create a competitive atmosphere.

Going after MJJ and then losing out on him and saying, ‘awww shucks, that’s the end of our recruiting for QBs this year; we’ll get em next yr’ is bull chit my ninja.

Who knows what 2020 is going to bring; Max Johnson might not want to come here. Two QBs may not want to come here. Y plan for tomorrow when today is here? Tomorrow is not promised. That’s all I’ve been saying. There’s other options, including possible flip candidates. Not feeling the “we missed out” mentality at all.

Last edited:
The only thing I keep going back to in my mind is that Jarren didn't come onto the scene until pretty late in the cycle last year. And he's got a good shot of being the starting QB next season. So, let's see how things play out over the next 2-3 months before totally freaking out.

But, given coach Richt's track record at times (freaking Grayson Lambert started games for him at Georgia), this situation does have me somewhat concerned.

Advertisement
Back