Patchan to try TE?

So, he's going to play more as a 3rd or 4th TE with zero experience at the position than he would as a 3rd team DE? We are going to be rotating DEs all day long if we're smart.

What makes him a better TE than Polendey? Or even Curry?

3rd team DE? Usually teams go with 4 and the 3rd team guys get in during mop up duty. Patchan is an athlete from that one play we all saw in the FSU game. This isnt really an indictment on him moreso then how little he trusts Irvin II. Polendey is a blocking TE and nothing more. If hes in the game you can rest assured the will not be covering him on passing downs.

Not saying he will be trotted out there in a two TE sets in the FSU Game..but...**** I dont know...just happy the kid didnt transfer out of here when it would have been the easy thing to do.

I don't care what most teams do. Most teams don't play more than 4 DEs because most teams don't have more than 4 DEs. We can keep guys fresh all game and just let them pin their ears back all day. Go 100 miles per hour then come out.

Where'd this transfer talk come from? There was no reason for him to transfer. He'd be of more use as a 5th DE than he will be at a position he hasn't played.

Why is a guy who hasn't played TE better than Polendey? They're about the same size.

When we get into the meat of the schedule, you dont think Richt is going to shrink the lineup? Against FSU you think he is trotting 6 DEs out there? Sounds good to say on CIS but thats just not realistic.

**** Thomas Brown had 3 RBs last year to play with and only used one (Walton) and used a second sparingly. The 3rd guy was on the bench. Which in this case was Yearby toward the end of the season. And he was more then capable of playing. But they shrunk the lineup.

If Patchan is "giving TE a go" then there is a reason. Him being the 5th DE doesnt sound like anything he is excited about right now for him to even be considering it. And he might not even be the 5th DE. Could be Garvin or DJ.

We played 5 of them last year and our top 5 dts. When you have talent like we have you have to play those guys.
Norton
Mcintosh
Willis
Jenkins
Bethel

Thomas
Jackson
Djack
Harris
Patchan
All received time. We have even more talent at de now with Garvin and Johnson

Advertisement
2nd team , third team, blah blah. We were going to sub these mofos in like crazy , keeping them fresh . He was going to play a lot regardless. Especially on pass downs.

This is a real head scratcher. Moving arguably the most talented pure pass rusher to te.

People keep saying this but who said that Richt is going to shuffle in and out 6 DEs? Where is this link or auto from Richt/Diaz confirming this?..I need to see or hear it.. No coach goes down to their 6th DE for any reason unless its injury related. You saw Diaz was laughing about people being concerned about who our 5th DT was going to be in an interview a few weeks ago. Even he thought that was crazy to even be thinking about who your 5th DT is going to be so that the other 4 are fresh at all times. LOL.

Only CIS posters think that Richt has this master plan to shuffle out 33 guys on D this season like a chinese fire drill in order to "keep everyone fresh at all times". LOL. Sure in the Bethune game and in the Arky State game. But if you think hes doing that against FSU/VTech/Notre Dame...

Our depth on the d-line must be better then we think. Patchan would probably start at like 70 other d1 schools. Were moving him to TE.

Our depth on the d-line must be better then we think. Patchan would probably start at like 70 other d1 schools. Were moving him to TE.

It's actually good news.

And he can always move back to DE if necessary.

So, he's going to play more as a 3rd or 4th TE with zero experience at the position than he would as a 3rd team DE? We are going to be rotating DEs all day long if we're smart.

3rd team DE? Usually teams go with 4 and the 3rd team guys get in during mop up duty. Patchan is an athlete from that one play we all saw in the FSU game. This isnt really an indictment on him moreso then how little he trusts Irvin II. Polendey is a blocking TE and nothing more. If hes in the game you can rest assured the will not be covering him on passing downs.

Not saying he will be trotted out there in a two TE sets in the FSU Game..but...**** I dont know...just happy the kid didnt transfer out of here when it would have been the easy thing to do.

I don't care what most teams do. Most teams don't play more than 4 DEs because most teams don't have more than 4 DEs. We can keep guys fresh all game and just let them pin their ears back all day. Go 100 miles per hour then come out.

Where'd this transfer talk come from? There was no reason for him to transfer. He'd be of more use as a 5th DE than he will be at a position he hasn't played.

Why is a guy who hasn't played TE better than Polendey? They're about the same size.

When we get into the meat of the schedule, you dont think Richt is going to shrink the lineup? Against FSU you think he is trotting 6 DEs out there? Sounds good to say on CIS but thats just not realistic.

**** Thomas Brown had 3 RBs last year to play with and only used one (Walton) and used a second sparingly. The 3rd guy was on the bench. Which in this case was Yearby toward the end of the season. And he was more then capable of playing. But they shrunk the lineup.

If Patchan is "giving TE a go" then there is a reason. Him being the 5th DE doesnt sound like anything he is excited about right now for him to even be considering it. And he might not even be the 5th DE. Could be Garvin or DJ.

We played 5 of them last year and our top 5 dts. When you have talent like we have you have to play those guys.
Norton
Mcintosh
Willis
Jenkins
Bethel

Thomas
Jackson
Djack
Harris
Patchan
All received time. We have even more talent at de now with Garvin and Johnson

Brock..you are stretching here..Patchan got MAYBE 2-3 snaps. The one infamous play that we all remember and then maybe 2 other snaps. That was it. Bethel got very little burn from what I remember. I was at the game in the far west endzone so maybe I could be wrong..Where is LuCane? He would know..

Advertisement
2nd team , third team, blah blah. We were going to sub these mofos in like crazy , keeping them fresh . He was going to play a lot regardless. Especially on pass downs.

This is a real head scratcher. Moving arguably the most talented pure pass rusher to te.

People keep saying this but who said that Richt is going to shuffle in and out 6 DEs? Where is this link or auto from Richt/Diaz confirming this?..I need to see or hear it.. No coach goes down to their 6th DE for any reason unless its injury related. You saw Diaz was laughing about people being concerned about who our 5th DT was going to be in an interview a few weeks ago. Even he thought that was crazy to even be thinking about who your 5th DT is going to be so that the other 4 are fresh at all times. LOL.

Only CIS posters think that Richt has this master plan to shuffle out 33 guys on D this season like a chinese fire drill in order to "keep everyone fresh at all times". LOL. Sure in the Bethune game and in the Arky State game. But if you think hes doing that against FSU/VTech/Notre Dame...

Because they shuffled them last year . How's that for evidence ?

For those saying he wasn't going to play, dudes first game back full go was against fsu, coming off a major injury. And he got on the field, in the biggest game of the year. So yeah....he was going to be in the rotation

Last edited:
Does him practicing at TE prevent him from playing defense if our top 6 DE get injured?

No.

Advertisement

My guess is this move is for 2 reasons. In case of injury and because they are not happy with Irvin. Therefore I think they believe he can end up the number 2 TE. Where he will receive a lot more work than at DE. If he plays at DE this year it is just taking snaps away from Garvin and DJ anyway.

If teams have the talent they'll shuffle as many as 8 de a game. With all the tempo offenses snapping the ball every 10-15 seconds this is a luxury. Nobody will ever be tired.

You're not making much sense. As the season heats up, Rick should use MORE depth, not less. He used Patchan LAST YEAR against FSU. Patchan, a year healthier and stronger, should have been primed for more time versus FSU.

Why would you trust Patchan at TE against FSU and not at DE? He's never played TE.

Advertisement

The audio was Diaz saying, "we're going to play them all" when he was asked directly which DEs would play this season.

Because they shuffled them last year .

For those saying he wasn't going to play, dudes first game back full go was against fsu, coming off a major injury. And he got on the field, in the biggest game of the year. So yeah....he was going to be in the rotation

They shuffled 4..Not 6...Patchan got in the FSU game because I believe that the game that Trent Harris got nicked up. Otherwise he would have seen no action.

Look if they do then great. Everyones happy then. But shuffling 6 DEs and 6 DTs is insane. Your best players (JJackson, Norton, McIntosh) are getting what..20 snaps? Just so we can make sure everyone gets burn? Whats the point of competition then if everyone is going to play? Man we need to ride those horses because they will all be gone soon to the NFL anyway. Esp Norton.

I remember Jimbo almost killed Tim Jernigan in the Natty Game against Auburn that year. Buddy didnt even have anything left in the tank to play the last series when they needed him to most to stop Auburn. He was dead. You think Jimbo gave a ***** about shuffling in the 5*s behind him? **** No. Played him until he couldnt even walk. He had a natty to win dammit..Saban did the same thing last year in the Natty game against Clemson. Played his best players on D until they dehydrated. The elite coaches dont play the "shuffle" game. Only us fans do.

I hope this is just Sperman being the cumbag he is and not reality.

This TE obsession amongst UM fans is crazy af. Patchan can be a difference maker at DE. Fck a 3rd TE. If Herndon gets hurt, put tubby in. If Tubby can't handle it, then go 4 wide.
Yup. Patchan hasn't shown he can even stay on the field anyway so a few high quality snaps at DE would be great. Let's not even talk about him playing a blocking/traffic role like TE.

Rush the QB. That's it.

Advertisement

You're not making much sense. As the season heats up, Rick should use MORE depth, not less. He used Patchan LAST YEAR against FSU. Patchan, a year healthier and stronger, should have been primed for more time versus FSU.

Why would you trust Patchan at TE against FSU and not at DE? He's never played TE.

Dude just compared a rb's snaps to de's.

I really really like Patchan staying as a DE or maybe as a hybrid linebacker in Goal Line sets (subbing for McCloud) to get more size and push on the field. If Langham can block at all I'd like to see him get a look at TE after the coaches raved about his camp.

LOL. I knew this infamous FSU game with Patchan would keep rearing its head. You guys will never let that moment go. Good for him. I wish we had won because him and Stacey Coley would live in FSU/UM lore... Buddy played like one series in that game and people now act like he was the savior.

If he is giving TE a go..Then the coaches know something that we clearly don't.

Advertisement
Back