Patchan to try TE?

3rd team DE? Usually teams go with 4 and the 3rd team guys get in during mop up duty. Patchan is an athlete from that one play we all saw in the FSU game. This isnt really an indictment on him moreso then how little he trusts Irvin II. Polendey is a blocking TE and nothing more. If hes in the game you can rest assured the will not be covering him on passing downs.

Not saying he will be trotted out there in a two TE sets in the FSU Game..but...**** I dont know...just happy the kid didnt transfer out of here when it would have been the easy thing to do.

I don't care what most teams do. Most teams don't play more than 4 DEs because most teams don't have more than 4 DEs. We can keep guys fresh all game and just let them pin their ears back all day. Go 100 miles per hour then come out.

Where'd this transfer talk come from? There was no reason for him to transfer. He'd be of more use as a 5th DE than he will be at a position he hasn't played.

Why is a guy who hasn't played TE better than Polendey? They're about the same size.

When we get into the meat of the schedule, you dont think Richt is going to shrink the lineup? Against FSU you think he is trotting 6 DEs out there? Sounds good to say on CIS but thats just not realistic.

**** Thomas Brown had 3 RBs last year to play with and only used one (Walton) and used a second sparingly. The 3rd guy was on the bench. Which in this case was Yearby toward the end of the season. And he was more then capable of playing. But they shrunk the lineup.

If Patchan is "giving TE a go" then there is a reason. Him being the 5th DE doesnt sound like anything he is excited about right now for him to even be considering it. And he might not even be the 5th DE. Could be Garvin or DJ.

You're not making much sense. As the season heats up, Rick should use MORE depth, not less. He used Patchan LAST YEAR against FSU. Patchan, a year healthier and stronger, should have been primed for more time versus FSU.

Why would you trust Patchan at TE against FSU and not at DE? He's never played TE.

Dude just compared a rb's snaps to de's.

He's lost.

Advertisement
3rd team DE? Usually teams go with 4 and the 3rd team guys get in during mop up duty. Patchan is an athlete from that one play we all saw in the FSU game. This isnt really an indictment on him moreso then how little he trusts Irvin II. Polendey is a blocking TE and nothing more. If hes in the game you can rest assured the will not be covering him on passing downs.

Not saying he will be trotted out there in a two TE sets in the FSU Game..but...**** I dont know...just happy the kid didnt transfer out of here when it would have been the easy thing to do.

I don't care what most teams do. Most teams don't play more than 4 DEs because most teams don't have more than 4 DEs. We can keep guys fresh all game and just let them pin their ears back all day. Go 100 miles per hour then come out.

Where'd this transfer talk come from? There was no reason for him to transfer. He'd be of more use as a 5th DE than he will be at a position he hasn't played.

Why is a guy who hasn't played TE better than Polendey? They're about the same size.

When we get into the meat of the schedule, you dont think Richt is going to shrink the lineup? Against FSU you think he is trotting 6 DEs out there? Sounds good to say on CIS but thats just not realistic.

**** Thomas Brown had 3 RBs last year to play with and only used one (Walton) and used a second sparingly. The 3rd guy was on the bench. Which in this case was Yearby toward the end of the season. And he was more then capable of playing. But they shrunk the lineup.

If Patchan is "giving TE a go" then there is a reason. Him being the 5th DE doesnt sound like anything he is excited about right now for him to even be considering it. And he might not even be the 5th DE. Could be Garvin or DJ.

You're not making much sense. As the season heats up, Rick should use MORE depth, not less. He used Patchan LAST YEAR against FSU. Patchan, a year healthier and stronger, should have been primed for more time versus FSU.

Why would you trust Patchan at TE against FSU and not at DE? He's never played TE.

My comparison was the coaching staff shrinking the lineup. But go ahead and keep thinking Richt is going to "play all 7 DEs the entire year". Thats fine. Thats why Patchan is looking at playing TE, right?

He's lost.

We will agree to disagree. Last question..If what you say is true..And all 7 DEs are playing and it will be a rotation..Then why is Patchan looking to give TE a try?

Don't know why Langham to TE isn't getting more juice. Height, jump ball threat, big enough. If Langham can block like a dawg I'd rather have a guy who already knows how to run routes than a DE give it a go for the first time.

Last edited:
Advertisement
This move makes no sense on its face. But maybe playing te is actually easier on the knees. De's do all sorts of quick twitch movements at the los, have to deal with ol diving at their knees, and have to react quickly and carry out sudden changes of direction. Meanwhile, te work is much easier on the knees- you're not having to react quickly with sudden changes of direction, you know where you're going since you're on offense, you don't have ol or rb cutting you. You catch the ball 3 times a game and only have to deal with tackles after the catch.

Everyone is convinced in their own minds about the pros and cons here. For those that say it is for the year, are we really taking a difference making defensive end away from the best DL coach in America to be a 3rd string tight end for just the year? I do not know what kind of hands SP has, so it is difficult to say whether he should move or not. Someone mentioned SP is having a difficult time keeping weight on. To be an elite defensive end or tight end, you need some weight on you. To be a serviceable tight end, I think 220 could be okay. To be an assasin edge rusher "situationally" you could also be lighter.
Is the wear and tear of DE hurting him?
I do think that the wear and tear of TE will be less than DE. Every position comes with risk. I wonder if knees go quicker at TE or DE?

A situation to monitor for sure!

Advertisement
Goddamnit!! I forking told you numbnuts the Haskins release was going to bite us in the ****. But some of you forkheads said he was a JAG. No, Irvin is a flipping Jag! Haskins was the stud!

Richt should've made the dude run laps and do community service like Saban would have. instead, we are moving a DE with tremendous upside to TE 3 days before the first game. And it's not like this dude is a scrub. patchan can ball at DE

Flipping ****ed.

Goddamnit!! I forking told you numbnuts the Haskins release was going to bite us in the ****. But some of you forkheads said he was a JAG. No, Irvin is a flipping Jag! Haskins was the stud!

Richt should've made the dude run laps and do community service like Saban would have. instead, we are moving a DE with tremendous upside to TE 3 days before the first game. And it's not like this dude is a scrub. patchan can ball at DE

Flipping ****ed.

I feel your anger, Young Homie. I get it, rick did not like Haskins. However, he should have held on to that kid for a year until his prize tight end recruits got here.

Agree with the implied illogic of moving a sack machine to TE. I don't think he'll have to worry about wear and tear at the DE position because we have quality depth at that position. Hoping this is much to do about nothing. If Herndon has to come off the field then we should field package groups with players we have confiidence give us a chance to be successful.

Everyone is convinced in their own minds about the pros and cons here. For those that say it is for the year, are we really taking a difference making defensive end away from the best DL coach in America to be a 3rd string tight end for just the year? I do not know what kind of hands SP has, so it is difficult to say whether he should move or not. Someone mentioned SP is having a difficult time keeping weight on. To be an elite defensive end or tight end, you need some weight on you. To be a serviceable tight end, I think 220 could be okay. To be an assasin edge rusher "situationally" you could also be lighter.
Is the wear and tear of DE hurting him?
I do think that the wear and tear of TE will be less than DE. Every position comes with risk. I wonder if knees go quicker at TE or DE?

A situation to monitor for sure!

Advertisement

Flipping ****ed.

I feel your anger, Young Homie. I get it, rick did not like Haskins. However, he should have held on to that kid for a year until his prize tight end recruits got here.

EXACTLY!!! Unless the dude committed a serious felony we needed to make the dude run. do community service, and then pair him with a mentor to try and rehabilitate the kid, for at least this season. Haskins had too much talent and upside to just kick to the curb, leaving us with Irvin/Polendy --which is basically nothing.

Warned many of you all spring Irvin was a JAG with ZERO work ethic or discipline with his diet. That dude is just skating by on Playmakers good name. Richt should've done everything necessary to keep Haskins, at least through this season

One Can always use Langham in the "form" of a Pass Catching TE... If you can scheme a good match-up with him against a LB in the slot.

But If that can be done, I'd rather use Cager in that scenario.

Wait is he completely switching to TE or something?

If he's staying at DE but learning the Plays at TE and maybe taking some reps here and there I have no problem with this and think you guys are overreacting.

If he's actually just completely switching positions right now instead of like at the ******* beginning of the summer I'd be kinda ****ed. Primarily because I think he can and will make some plays for us this year at DE. Secondly, everyone knew the problem we were facing at TE from day one, there is no way in **** if they were going to completely make the switch they should have waited this long, even if it is just for this yr.

Advertisement

Flipping ****ed.

Haskins film looked good for TE

Flipping ****ed.

EXACTLY!!! Unless the dude committed a serious felony we needed to make the dude run. do community service, and then pair him with a mentor to try and rehabilitate the kid, for at least this season. Haskins had too much talent and upside to just kick to the curb, leaving us with Irvin/Polendy --which is basically nothing.

Warned many of you all spring Irvin was a JAG with ZERO work ethic or discipline with his diet. That dude is just skating by on Playmakers good name. Richt should've done everything necessary to keep Haskins, at least through this season

Rick is a good man. However, the depth issues that we are facing at running back and tight end are self-inflicted.

The timing sucks. Would have made a lot more sense to get him acclimated to the position in the spring, or at the very least, the beginning of summer.

Advertisement
Back