Patchan to try TE?

Lol Haskins was just as untrustworthy as Irvin II. If Herndon gets hurt we will use another OL before Irvin or Curry

Advertisement
Why do people keep saying he is the 5th DE on the roster? Maybe he is 7th? Top four are Jackson, Thomas, Harris, Jackson. Who's to say he didn't get passed up by both Garvin and Johnson who are both coach Kool recruits.

I would love to see him develop into a Mark Bavaro type of TE who inflicts pain on defenders instead of the other way around.

I like this idea a lot. We are deep at DE and we have seen Basketball players come in and learn TE all the time all over the country. He should have no problem acclimating as long as coaches do their job..

LOL...Patch just got passed up by another wave of freshmen, and y'all cryin' bout' Him switchin'?...LOL.

This. Dude can't even stay healthy. Smh

He's healthy now, so I'm not sure what you're crying about.

Only our special fanbase would bash a player who is making a move probably not in his own best interest to help the team

Maybe I'm misinterpreting some of these posts, but I don't think the people against this move are bashing Patchan. I think they're bashing the move (and probably assuming it comes at the behest of the coaching staff). He's a player at the U and has the surgical scars to prove it. Wherever he plays, I am rooting for him.

That being said, moving him to TE less than a week before Game 1 when it does not look like he's ever played TE and we all know he was a highly recruited DE with burst off the edge and solid pass rush ability seems strange. Again, not sure what the impetus was for the move and I would love to hear more on that if anyone has any information, but it just seems like a questionable decision on its face.

Advertisement
Jimmy Graham had never played TE before either. Patchan is an athlete, he'll do fine there imo.

Maybe they believe this will help with the goal line offense.

On a more serious note, who the **** knows. Pumped for the season to start.

He ends up playing speed rush DE and coming in from time to time on obvious passing downs.

Like maybe 5 or more snaps a game.

That's my guess of what ends up happening. Just a guess.

Advertisement
Jimmy Graham had never played TE before either. Patchan is an athlete, he'll do fine there imo.

Jimmy Graham was with the team in the Spring, and all summer, and all fall camp. Patchan is moving to tight end THREE DAYS before the first game, and he's never played the position in his entire life! Huuuuuuuuuge difference.

If you're going to make this move make it the instant you chase Haskins off (late spring/early summer). Now, patchan won't contribute at either DE or TE this season, barring injury. He's basically practice fodder and an emergency TE, just in case.

Instead, we could be using this man at his natural DE position, and there are no such thing as "too many talented DE's. The guy just had a dominant DE performance in the first scrimmage. We could've had him pinning his ears back to get after the QB. And say what you want, but we need every single DE we can find against FSU; Patchan would've contributed. We need to have guys coming in waves all game long.

The staff will turn him into a 3rd round draft pick at TE! Let's ride!! TE U!!!
Rose colored glasses and lemonade making season!

Advertisement
given the status of his health( or at least the track record) shouldn't a guy like Patchan have pitch-count basically on the number of snaps he plays. And with that have a very defined specialized role - such as rush end to close out games with leads in the 4th, where he can just pin his ears back? That's how you make less more with a guy like Patchan IMO

Anyways, just why wasn't Standish Dobard ever redshirted? That's what I want to know...

While they're working him at TE, might as well start working with him to kick field goals, and playing nickel.

Advertisement
given the status of his health( or at least the track record) shouldn't a guy like Patchan have pitch-count basically on the number of snaps he plays. And with that have a very defined specialized role - such as rush end to close out games with leads in the 4th, where he can just pin his ears back? That's how you make less more with a guy like Patchan IMO

Anyways, just why wasn't Standish Dobard ever redshirted? That's what I want to know...

According to some here, redshirts are useless in the "modern era of college football"

I'm with you on this one.

So, he's going to play more as a 3rd or 4th TE with zero experience at the position than he would as a 3rd team DE? We are going to be rotating DEs all day long if we're smart.

What makes him a better TE than Polendey? Or even Curry?

I like the idea of a TON of bodies at DE. Perhaps no position on the team benefits from depth more than the DE position. Fresh legs in the 4th quarter coming off the edge makes a huge difference.

Kid has great get off why??

Because he's behind 6 other guys at DE?

Problem is that without patchan, we'll be down to 4 de's in 2018, not counting 2018 commits.

Likely only for the 2017 season. Once Jordan and Mallory hit campus, my guess is he moves back to DE.

Not necessarily. Mallory will likely redshirt as he needs time to fill out. Patchan has good size and get off to succeed at TE. It may be his ticket to the NFL. He could develop into a 2018 starter leaving Brevin Jordan and Irvin to battle for the other spot.

According to some here, redshirts are useless in the "modern era of college football"

I'm with you on this one.

I have no problems with true freshman playing if there are meaningful snaps played OR if you know a guy has so much ability that he's a 3-and-done type of guy( like in 01 with Gore, Taylor, Winslow). But Dobard was neither of those from what I remember...

Advertisement
Back