Pac 12 Players Asking for 50% of revenue to play this year

Advertisement
This is not factual. All athletic scholarships are awarded by the NCAA.
The NCAA may back them but the schools are the ones that decide who gets them, not the NCAA. it’s more like the NCAA gives money to the schools to spend, with few strings attached. The schools give them, take them away, etc...

Advertisement
So some kids saw pro players in the NFL and MLB requesting 50% profit sharing this year and decided to repeat the same numbers. Ok.

Problem is a pro league and college are not even remotely close to being the same financial models. That's the difference between individual not understanding things and just repeating what they heard elsewhere, versus those who know what they are talking about and building a true, logical argument with realistic numbers/data.

I have always been in favor of health coverage/health insurance for players. A stipend? Sure. Ability to make money off your likeness. Ok....as long as rules are put in place that prevents schools from paying a kid $200k for 5 autographs. Profit sharing and full blown payments? No. The arms race is going to bury most collegiate sports unless it's dealt with.

Did you expect them to put their money in a savings account or IRA? Facility improvements is a way for them to spend it and give something back to the athletes. buyouts are usually subsidized by boosters too

Facility improvements benefit the schools. It's a nice shiny object they use to get kids in where they can churn em and burn em. Once they are gone the kid has zero benefit from it while the school continues to use it to recruit.

Want to give something back? Give every P5 graduate a lump sum upon graduation to help start a business or to use as a down payment to buy a home for themselves and their family.

They want to be pros. And if that's the case they should be treated as such. The NFL they pay for their own air travel, hotels, and if they get in trouble they get fined. Because they are going to the school to play football and since the school is paying a cash sum, and these players should have pay for tuition. Also pros pay for their own room and board. I'm not saying players shouldn't be compensated, if this is done right in Florida it could be huge for players. But if the players want 50 percent of revinue it could get bad for them in a hurry.

I'm not sure you understand how much 50% of the revenue actually is for a P5 team.

Advertisement
Perhaps they're looking out for all athletes not just the ones in their sport considering football has the most leverage.
This sounds nice in theory and gives everyone good feelings all around but this is actually against their own interest. These sports were eliminated because they generate no revenue, the revenue that allowed these sports to be played is basically the same revenue these players are asking for.. No business operates like this

Advertisement
How exactly is a rainbow made? How exactly does a sun set? How exactly does a posi-trac rear-end on a Plymouth work?
"Darkness at the break of noon, shadows even the silver spoon. The handmade blade, the child's balloon eclipses both the sun and moon. To understand you know too soon, There is no sense in trying." -- Your friend, Bob Dylan

"1. Distribute 50% of each sport’s total conference revenue evenly among athletes in their respective sports."

I wonder what the unintended consequences of this might be . . . ?

While they're at it, they should probably distribute their grades evenly, as well . . .

Advertisement
Yeah the players have more to lose by sitting out, assuming one team isnt adversely affected with too many opt outs. The real question is how will these pac 12 guys spend their $700 Check if they get it?
giphy.gif

I don't care where you fall on this issue and I personally have some reservations about schools directly paying players but you're insane if you didn't think effing Stanford crying poverty and cutting several sports programs recently was so rich that we all should've went into a diabetic coma just reading it.

Advertisement
Back