Pac 12 Players Asking for 50% of revenue to play this year

Advertisement
There are 130 FBS schools who have 85 scholarship football players. That's 11.050 players.
There are 127 FCS schools who can award the equivalent of 63 scholarships to 85 players. That's 8001 - 10795 players.
A total of 19051 - 21845 players are attending college financed by football.
There are 32 NFL teams, each with a 53 man roster and a 12 man practice squad, that's 2080 professional players.

Let's say players suddenly get paid. How many of those schools will drop football? That means fewer players on scholarship. There is a percentage of people whose only hope of a college education lies in a scholarship. So in the interest of sticking it to those greedy universities making money off the players, you're willing to ***** over how many others? It isn't the big P5 schools who will suffer and the NFL bound will still get their shot, but the people who actually need it the most will be out in the cold. This would harm the 97.5% who'll never play in the NFL.
I would also ask, applying title IX to these payments, the women's basketball team would have to receive the same amount of compensation as Men's football right? They have a squad of 10/11 players, where the football team has 85. If you just average the 50% revenue over those two sports, the Women's basketball team would make more per person, yet generate less revenue for the athletic department. I wonder how the football team would feel about that? Maybe they wouldn't care, who knows.

I would also ask, applying title IX to these payments, the women's basketball team would have to receive the same amount of compensation as Men's football right? They have a squad of 10/11 players, where the football team has 85. If you just average the 50% revenue over those two sports, the Women's basketball team would make more per person, yet generate less revenue for the athletic department. I wonder how the football team would feel about that? Maybe they wouldn't care, who knows.
And just wait until all of the women who play non-revenue sports get invloved.

Advertisement
You'd probably see a whole lot of sports dropped everywhere. Most require football, basketball, or baseball to pay the bills.

women's basketball operates at a loss, so maybe they should be paying the school.

Advertisement
This is a complex issue to solve. Covid has shined a light on the giant elephant in the room. Players are worth more than a full education scholarship. Losing the NCAA tournament and now the threat of losing college football has athletic departments in shambles. The amount of debt these schools have racked up makes it virtually impossible for us to take the season off. Put Covid health issues aside. These institutions need their "employees" to show up to work or they are at risk of going out of business. The problem is their "employees" are 18-23 year old kids who take part in a defacto tuition reimbursement program that includes a living stipend. CFB clears more than $1.5B annually after expenses. CFB is a well oiled machine that has seen its profits grow exponentially without any consideration of increasing how much its primary employees take home. Every professional sport has seen salary increases as revenue increases. MLB, NBA, EPL, NFL. Even CFB coaches and administrators are making more money than they ever have. Literally every person involved in sports programs and organizations are profiting more than ever except college athletes.

Title IX has done fantastic things. But it's time to reevaluate how we view college basketball and football. Players are finally starting to see how much power they have and if they unite together they can force change. There will be consequences for sure. Some universities are going to be F***ed. Certain sports programs will be eliminated. Athletic scholarships in non-revenue generating sports could decrease or go away completely. We live in capitalist society so all sports unfortunately cannot be treated equal. College sports as we know it are going to change. It's inevitable. The 50% revenue isn't going to happen. I highly doubt with the decrease in overall revenue this year that universities can afford to give the players a 50% cut. This illuminates the problem of lack of representation. Players need lawyers and CPA's to review the finances so that can have a true case to take to higher power. Amateurism in sports is dead. When billions of dollars are on the line throw "student athletes" and "amateurism" out the door. This is a business it's time to treat it like one. I like what these kids are doing it's a step toward a better future. Odds are they aren't going to get paid any time soon. At worst, I hope a players association is formed out of this. They need they $EC players to get on board next.

CFB clears more than $1.5B annually after expenses. CFB is a well oiled machine that has seen its profits grow exponentially without any consideration of increasing how much its primary employees take home.
One problem: "CFB" isn't an organization. A few large schools might clear a nice profit, but overall, athletic programs break even or lose money. So if we go to some kind of pay-for-play plan, you'll end up with a league of 30 teams. What, then, do you tell the thousands of kids who needed that scholarship but now have nowhere to go?

Advertisement
One problem: "CFB" isn't an organization. A few large schools might clear a nice profit, but overall, athletic programs break even or lose money. So if we go to some kind of pay-for-play plan, you'll end up with a league of 30 teams. What, then, do you tell the thousands of kids who needed that scholarship but now have nowhere to go?
That’s the problem: they Would be sacrificing the benefits of 90% of the players so the 10% can get paid, when they will Get paid in the nfl anyway.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back