Pac 12 Players Asking for 50% of revenue to play this year

I get the arguments that the kids get the education and all that, but when you see how fat these elitist presidents are getting, its hard to say you can't break a little something off for the kids.
We still have people who don't understand that they ARE breaking off a piece for the kids?

Let me ask you this: would the players be okay with a "piece" if we took away the training table, tutors, doctors, etc.? Because we can't pay for everything AND pay the players.

Advertisement
We still have people who don't understand that they ARE breaking off a piece for the kids?

Let me ask you this: would the players be okay with a "piece" if we took away the training table, tutors, doctors, etc.? Because we can't pay for everything AND pay the players.
Don't forget stadium rental/construction, etc. Just ask the players to share in the losses, too . . .

Then why did they accept scholarships to begin with? Why do they throw huge parties to sign that letter of intent? Scholarships are valuable to 18 year old kids. In no other area of life to you get everything paid for AND get to demand a piece of the revenue.

Ask them. I'm sure the reasons vary. Something is usually better than nothing but that doesn't make it fair.

I'm not aware that there are any laws against throwing a party for any lawful reason.

The value of something is not just determined by the giver. Acceptance of something is not indicative of agreement of its value....only that you accept receiving it.

Acceptance does not eliminate someone's ability to ask for or receive more. Nor is it up outsiders who are not involved to impose their values or judgements on others to assess what is fair.

You are welcome to your opinions ....but it carries the same weight as some outsider trying to determine what is fair or what should be of value for you in your own life.

Of course you wouldn't like that ....nor should you...so why do you feel it's ok for you to try an do that to others.

You have your opinions...I have mine...others have their's...I hope they get more...you don't

It's not up to us to decide. All we have are opinions as outsiders

Last edited:
But you're comparing adults - who expect to get paid for working - to students. What other students get to demand revenue sharing at age 18? Before you tell me about the "millions" brought in by football, I would suggest that you take a look at a university's overall budget.

Actors ,entertainers and entrepreneurs to begin with. I'm sure that there are many others

Advertisement
The company that many of you work for, given employee perks, and are paid a salary does NOT insists that you share in their losses....if they do you're in a F' up situation....so why should a player share losses?

A player is NOT in a partnership with the University.

Big 10 has a group of players now too.

Get a realistic list together and try to make some stuff happen. Otherwise this is stupid

Supposedly there is now a hotline for players and families. And the scholarships must be honored if the players choose not to play. I wonder if maybe some guys will choose not to play. Get a jump start on schoolwork and then grad transfer

Advertisement
The company that many of you work for, given employee perks, and are paid a salary does NOT insists that you share in their losses....if they do you're in a F' up situation....so why should a player share losses?

A player is NOT in a partnership with the University.
If the player and school aren’t in a partnership then what does the school owe the player? I’d say they are in a partnership though because the scholarship has stipulations attached to it And by accepting the scholarship, they are accepting the stipulations too

Actors ,entertainers and entrepreneurs to begin with. I'm sure that there are many others
Those are all very specific situations where one person or a few people might share in revenue, if they are good enough And can demand that type of contract. Most people in those professions do not get a pc of the revenue. Entrepreneurs only do it that way because they are starting at the ground floor of a company, college football can’t be compared to a startup

Sharing in losses in the workplace happens in the form of layoffs

I Agree.

Shouldn't be any different in sports.

Can't compete? Cut costs or get out of the business..

If the area values your presence seek subsidies.

Last edited:
Those are all very specific situations where one person or a few people might share in revenue, if they are good enough And can demand that type of contract. Most people in those professions do not get a pc of the revenue. Entrepreneurs only do it that way because they are starting at the ground floor of a company, college football can’t be compared to a startup

You asked what others received it...I gave you a few others that undeniably did.

Advertisement
If the player and school aren’t in a partnership then what does the school owe the player? I’d say they are in a partnership though because the scholarship has stipulations attached to it And by accepting the scholarship, they are accepting the stipulations too

Are you saying that anyone receiving some form of compensation from someone else has entered into a partnership?

That simply isn't true. You're confusing a partnership with a contract.

You asked what others received it...I gave you a few others that undeniably did.
And you gave examples which aren’t comparable at all to college football. Startups and top 5 actors don’t apply to sports. I didn’t ask that question either. Do you expect Tens of thousands of 18 year olds to collectively bargain 7-10 year contracts when they are only in school for 4? like I said before, anything they get paid, ALL college athletes have to Also be paid per federal law. That’s something you’ll never get around, so stop trying

There are 130 FBS schools who have 85 scholarship football players. That's 11.050 players.
There are 127 FCS schools who can award the equivalent of 63 scholarships to 85 players. That's 8001 - 10795 players.
A total of 19051 - 21845 players are attending college financed by football.
There are 32 NFL teams, each with a 53 man roster and a 12 man practice squad, that's 2080 professional players.

Let's say players suddenly get paid. How many of those schools will drop football? That means fewer players on scholarship. There is a percentage of people whose only hope of a college education lies in a scholarship. So in the interest of sticking it to those greedy universities making money off the players, you're willing to ***** over how many others? It isn't the big P5 schools who will suffer and the NFL bound will still get their shot, but the people who actually need it the most will be out in the cold. This would harm the 97.5% who'll never play in the NFL.

Advertisement
Ask them. I'm sure the reasons vary. Something is usually better than nothing but that doesn't make it fair.

I'm not aware that there are any laws against throwing a party for any lawful reason.

The value of something is not just determined by the giver. Acceptance of something is not indicative of agreement of its value....only that you accept receiving it.

Acceptance does not eliminate someone's ability to ask for or receive more. Nor is it up outsiders who are not involved to impose their values or judgements on others to assess what is fair.

You are welcome to your opinions ....but it carries the same weight as some outsider trying to determine what is fair or what should be of value for you in your own life.

Of course you wouldn't like that ....nor should you...so why do you feel it's ok for you to try an do that to others.

You have your opinions...I have mine...others have their's...I hope they get more...you don't

It's not up to us to decide. All we have are opinions as outsiders
But no one can ever tell us why they are so excited to accept the opportunity to allegedly be treated like slaves. If it's such a burden, why not take classes at the local community college and forget about football? Or, since it's all about the money, why not get a job out of high school? It's no one's fault that your only career path is a tough one. Man up and take what they give you.

I don’t think these kids understand economics
Are we surprised by this? These kids are force-fed B.S. and lies in the classroom...important and valuable real life applications like economics are cast by the wayside and/or rendered tertiary priorities at most of these universities. They need to fully understand that our country is terrible above anything else...that's real education. :rolleyes: God help my kids.

Advertisement
Back