OT: Tesla ?!?

Advertisement
No Oil changes (Likely will need to replace tires more often though, so it's a wash) and as cheap as yall are saying Gas is, electricity is much cheaper, especially if you can charge at home off-peak. Really depends what state you are in to determine how much gas savings you would have though. On average you will probably save like $1k/yr just in gas savings. The federal incentive is gone for Tesla, but there are still State incentives you could receive:
As far as the vehicle, the build quality issues (panel gaps and major paint issues) are absolutely there that you wouldn't find on a Toyota. The question is how much does that matter to you. Seats are comfortable, the screen is better than competitors, it's got great performance for the price. Most of the stuff under the skin is excellent. Leader in Batteries, Electric motors, easily the best car manufacturer when it comes to software - theres a reason the competitors NEED Android Auto/Carplay. AP is also better than most competitors Driver assistance package. This expert just did a complete youtube teardown (it's a playlist with like 5-10min videos) of the Model Y if you're interested in the actual details of the 3/Y:

I never understood why they didn't do hybrid pickup trucks, since an electric motor has a ton of torque at 0 rpm.

I can think of a couple reasons.

1. Law of diminishing returns- trucks already weigh a lot. If you add the additional weight of a hybrid system, you are probably going to lose a lot of the mpg increase benefits (unless you do a huge redesign and weight reduction). I think the Chevy Silverado came in a hybrid model a while back. Dont know if it still offers it.

Standard gas (2020 model)gets 16/22 mpg
Hybrid (2013 model) got 20/23

Thats not much of an increase for thousands of dollars more.

2. No market. I dont know about you, but I'd be wary of running a hair dryer outside in a rainstorm. A lot of truck owners would be gunshy about driving a truck with a huge battery pack underneath through water. Trucks are supposed to be beaten up and driven hard. I think EV/hybrid trucks have been looked at a few times but there just wasn't enough interest. GM has an interesting design though coming out- they are using a small "battery assist" that can provide instant torque directly to the wheels. Batteries are going to be located inside the cab under the rear bench seats. Given the horror stories about battery fires, I don't know that I'd want to put my kid's car seat above that battery pack.

No Oil changes (Likely will need to replace tires more often though, so it's a wash) and as cheap as yall are saying Gas is, electricity is much cheaper, especially if you can charge at home off-peak. Really depends what state you are in to determine how much gas savings you would have though. On average you will probably save like $1k/yr just in gas savings. The federal incentive is gone for Tesla, but there are still State incentives you could receive:
As far as the vehicle, the build quality issues (panel gaps and major paint issues) are absolutely there that you wouldn't find on a Toyota. The question is how much does that matter to you. Seats are comfortable, the screen is better than competitors, it's got great performance for the price. Most of the stuff under the skin is excellent. Leader in Batteries, Electric motors, easily the best car manufacturer when it comes to software - theres a reason the competitors NEED Android Auto/Carplay. AP is also better than most competitors Driver assistance package. This expert just did a complete youtube teardown (it's a playlist with like 5-10min videos) of the Model Y if you're interested in the actual details of the 3/Y:

I moved from Hawaii. Electricity is almost 39 cents per kwh. 3x more than any place in the country. It might be more now. I did the math when gas cost a little over $3.00 a gallon and the price between gas and charging an EV were about even. I think a gas vehicle would be a few hundred per yer cheaper in fuel costs. There is also the cost factor of insurance, and that has to play into the numbers as well. From what I understand, Teslas are extremely expensive to insure- so expensive that Musk considered offering Tesla insurance because owners were finding it difficult to afford to insurance costs (esp model 3 owners, who might be of more moderate means than the owners of the $100,000 Teslas).

Advertisement
I was an American car guy but
I drove my cousins Godzilla one time roofied out. What an experience. Needless to say after that I would always make sure he was banged up so I could drive that bad boy...
Bro... you can't be serious... my image of you is shattered.

I have a model S-best car in the world. Its a better car then when Bought it because you continually receive free updates and improvements over the air like you get on your phone. No maintenance at all its well built never any issues. You should schedule a test drive and then come back talking Sh^&
Several of my associates have at least 1. I know a cat who has 3.

All are in the "never own anything else" cult.

Me, I just can't quit roaring engines.

Bro... you can't be serious... my image of you is shattered.
I just wanted to be different. Here's what i had obviously used 5 years later.
7c7e380d0bbbba2054fa9a12af001280.jpg

Advertisement
If I were interviewing coaches to see if they can recruit I would do 2 tests.
1. Go door to door and sell this encyclopedia britanica.
2. Go get laid in one of these and bring back video evidence.

If they do both we would land every 5 star from opa locka to American Samoa.

Were do you live? Have they started charging you guys a special lic fee to make up for you not paying your share of road construction cost. Gas tax is usually big part of that. I have nothing against them. The more people who drive them the lower gas price gets for rest of us. Thanks.

South Florida, and no they havent.

Advertisement
Several of my associates have at least 1. I know a cat who has 3.

All are in the "never own anything else" cult.

Me, I just can't quit roaring engines.

As I have written several times, they are a ton of fun to drive, and once you drive one......

p.s. Because of the rapidly evolving technology, I recommend leasing vs. buying. For example, my car has a range of 295 miles, but the new S has a range of 391 miles, and Tesla is supposed to be rolling out the next generation batteries within the year. Elon has said that the new Roadster will have a range of 600 miles.

I never understood why they didn't do hybrid pickup trucks, since an electric motor has a ton of torque at 0 rpm.

Ram does right now with e-torque engine option.

Ok, not a true hybrid but a launcher, however the gas mileage increase is noticeable.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back