OT: Tesla ?!?

As the CIS resident car designer, I'm a bit conflicted.

For Tesla:
On one hand, I have seen the model 3 up close and think it is the only Tesla I have ever honestly thought I would buy. It looks good, comes with cool options, and is generally faster than most if not all the vehicles on the road you could get for the price. Full stop. Model 3, white on white. I dig it. Big as screen is cool I suppose, but I bet you will get screen fatigue.

Against Tesla:
VERY poor build quality. They generally don't last, are not serviceable. When was the last time you saw a P100D, or an early roadster on the road? You cant bring them to workshops, in fact tesla has made these cars almost unserviceable on purpose, and I don't agree with that.

Also, all Tesla engineers are flunkies who couldn't get a job at a traditional car company, or got fired from one. Trust me, I know many. This goes back to point A about build quality.

Their entire model line, besides the model 3, is absolutely hideous. I know their designs are made to supposedly cut down on drag, but they look ******* horrible. Horrible wheels, horrible design. Rather buy a Honda Element than a Model Y. You don't want to be the douchebag who buys a model X and thinks he looks cool, do you? It's almost as ugly as the first gen Maserati Quatroporte. Yuck...

Finally, gas is ******* stupid cheap. like WOA. You all do not understand how much cheaper gas is than it is in Europe. UK where I usually live is still 6x current US gas price, per gallon. To this I say, take advantage. Until legislation forces you to buy electric, and the price is still good, **** it, buy a gas powered car and live a little. Buy ******* H2 Hummers haha.

Summary:
Would I buy a tesla? Yes, the model 3. But for a dual motor, long range price ($50k) there are probably a bunch of cars that will offer you better build quality, lower cost of ownership, good resale, and probably more passion. Cars offer an emotional connection, and that still needs to be a factor. Or just buy an appliance.

Are u really a car designer?

Advertisement
Off topic of football ... but does anybody here own a Tesla ?? Are they worth it ? Do they really save you money in the long run? Ive really been looking at them and considering getting a model 3 .

How far is ur commute? I don’t own one, personally, but my best friend just bought one & she loves it b/c it did save her money due to gas savings. But her commute is a mutha; and it’s dealing w LA traffic.

iEV are the cars of the future.

Im probably in the minority on this but I don't think so. At least not for a very very long time (talking 30-40 years)

Toyota has the largest market value of any auto manufacturer in the world but they aren't investing heavily in EVs (and neither is Honda). This is the company that put battery powered vehicles on the map with the Prius, yet they are focusing on fuel cell vehicles instead. The CEO of Toyota was asked why they weren't focusing on all electric vehicles. His view was that you are going to have a dozen car companies fighting over 2% market share. I tend to agree.

Right now the demographic for EVs is wealthy suburbanites in temperate climates with a garage, who use an EV as a 2nd car. That's a pretty narrow market. City dwellers tend to live in apartments that dont have charging stations. And God forbid if you live in a building with street parking. There is no infrastructure for it and apartment building owners arent shelling out thousands for charging stations. They can find plenty of tenants that are fine without them.

Last edited:
Advertisement
You're thinking of getting the 992 4s? Bless your soul.
The new 911's wheelbase is about 10" longer than that classic. Overall length 14" longer.
The recent big jump in size happened when the 991 came out in late 2012. 4" longer than the 997.2.
I've owned a 997.2 S for years. A 991.2 S is on deck.
The 991.2's were the first models where Porsche said eff it, we're throwing turbo's in ALL of the models.
The 992?....some day, some day...

I'd like to note that by responding to this I'm not comparing 911's to the Tesla.
That just wouldn't be fair.

Which color do you think looks best in a 911?
That 901 model 911

My favorite water cooled is 997.2s cab and my favorite air cooled is the 993. I can dream.

Same question, which color do you think suits the 911 best?

Advertisement
I tangentially knew two separate people that burned to death in a Tesla after an accident. Anecdotal but that's all I got. Well that and the belief that Elon Musk is a massive douche.
I use to hate him, but as more and more people join on the hate train, I find myself liking him more-- might be the Cane hate lover in me.

Man, you guys are brutal. I have had a Tesla for many years and they are incredibly fun to drive. While charging is much cheaper than gas, a Tesla costs more than a gas powered vehicle, so dont do it for the money, but for how much fun they are to drive. If you want more info, PM me.
Were do you live? Have they started charging you guys a special lic fee to make up for you not paying your share of road construction cost. Gas tax is usually big part of that. I have nothing against them. The more people who drive them the lower gas price gets for rest of us. Thanks.

Man, you guys are brutal. I have had a Tesla for many years and they are incredibly fun to drive. While charging is much cheaper than gas, a Tesla costs more than a gas powered vehicle, so dont do it for the money, but for how much fun they are to drive. If you want more info, PM me.
I never understood why they didn't do hybrid pickup trucks, since an electric motor has a ton of torque at 0 rpm.

Advertisement
Off topic of football ... but does anybody here own a Tesla ?? Are they worth it ? Do they really save you money in the long run? Ive really been looking at them and considering getting a model 3 .
Girls car.

I never understood why they didn't do hybrid pickup trucks, since an electric motor has a ton of torque at 0 rpm.

It’s amazing how much torque they have. I don’t know why I don’t associate electric vehicles with high torque, it seems like gasoline vehicles would would produce higher torque but it’s the opposite, but then again I’m not an electrical engineer so…

I don't give a fvck about Elon Musk, let the man be.... but I don't give a fvck about a Tesla either. I don't believe a Tesla has rolled across the auction floor at Mecum or Barrett Jackson and created any excitement... combustion engines are here to stay until AOC and Co. get their way.
1o.jpg

Advertisement
I have a model S-best car in the world. Its a better car then when Bought it because you continually receive free updates and improvements over the air like you get on your phone. No maintenance at all its well built never any issues. You should schedule a test drive and then come back talking Sh^&

yups. thats me. Well technically I design race cars at the moment, but previously was passenger cars for a japanese auto maker.

Bro that’s so dope man; I be watching The Motortrend channel all the time, looking at these designers, and custom fabrication guys and just be in awe, man. I wish my school offered automotive classes like they used to do back in the day. Legit, that would probably be my career b/c I’m such a car guy. As we speak, in the process of giving my G35 coupe a custom face lift since it has low miles.

Such a cool career, from the outside looking in, of course; as I’m sure it’s probably demanding, too.

I don't give a fvck about Elon Musk, let the man be.... but I don't give a fvck about a Tesla either. I don't believe a Tesla has rolled across the auction floor at Mecum or Barrett Jackson and created any excitement... combustion engines are here to stay until AOC and Co. get their way.
View attachment 117803

that is a beautiful classic

Advertisement
Back