OT: Tesla ?!?

I'll say this much, had a kid come up behind me in one ( obviously mommies and pops car ) when I was on my 06 kawasaki ninja

could tell he was gonna pass me soon as we took a right down this long country road.. so having heard about this car's incredible speed ( pulling away from lambo's and ferrari's ) and the fact he was obviously mistreating his parents car I went ahead and decide he wasn't gonna pass me.

he got beside me after getting a jump on the bike and I down shifted and floored it.. we stayed head to head to about 135 when I decided getting a ticket wasn't worth it ( especially in florida, if you get caught going 50 over the speed limit you will never see your bike again ).

The car was about to top out and he wasn't gaining on me, but I was definitely surprised to see it keep up like that. Went home and checked out the 0-60 time was like 2.3 sec or 2.8 or something insane so yeh, it's quick.

Advertisement
Gas is cheap. It's a great time to buy an early 70s muscle car. Show the ladies that you still have a set of balls. They aren't going to get wet panties over the sound of an overheating vacuum cleaner.
Actually, the sound is unique in a good way, kinda hard to explain with words. And the panties will get plenty wet when the Tesla they are sitting in will just about smoke every other car on the road. Most models go 0-60 in 3 seconds, and around 500 lb-ft of torque

As the CIS resident car designer, I'm a bit conflicted.

For Tesla:
On one hand, I have seen the model 3 up close and think it is the only Tesla I have ever honestly thought I would buy. It looks good, comes with cool options, and is generally faster than most if not all the vehicles on the road you could get for the price. Full stop. Model 3, white on white. I dig it. Big as screen is cool I suppose, but I bet you will get screen fatigue.

Against Tesla:
VERY poor build quality. They generally don't last, are not serviceable. When was the last time you saw a P100D, or an early roadster on the road? You cant bring them to workshops, in fact tesla has made these cars almost unserviceable on purpose, and I don't agree with that.

Also, all Tesla engineers are flunkies who couldn't get a job at a traditional car company, or got fired from one. Trust me, I know many. This goes back to point A about build quality.

Their entire model line, besides the model 3, is absolutely hideous. I know their designs are made to supposedly cut down on drag, but they look ******* horrible. Horrible wheels, horrible design. Rather buy a Honda Element than a Model Y. You don't want to be the douchebag who buys a model X and thinks he looks cool, do you? It's almost as ugly as the first gen Maserati Quatroporte. Yuck...

Finally, gas is ******* stupid cheap. like WOA. You all do not understand how much cheaper gas is than it is in Europe. UK where I usually live is still 6x current US gas price, per gallon. To this I say, take advantage. Until legislation forces you to buy electric, and the price is still good, **** it, buy a gas powered car and live a little. Buy ******* H2 Hummers haha.

Summary:
Would I buy a tesla? Yes, the model 3. But for a dual motor, long range price ($50k) there are probably a bunch of cars that will offer you better build quality, lower cost of ownership, good resale, and probably more passion. Cars offer an emotional connection, and that still needs to be a factor. Or just buy an appliance.

Actually, the sound is unique in a good way, kinda hard to explain with words. And the panties will get plenty wet when the Tesla they are sitting in will just about smoke every other car on the road. Most models go 0-60 in 3 seconds, and around 500 lb-ft of torque
Like one of those VCR rewinders back in the day?

Advertisement

Engine rumbles are proven to give women orgasms. It's science.

Dont have a Tesla, but I have a Lexus hybrid (it's not as cool as it may sound). I probably save about a grand per year versus when I was gas only.

As the CIS resident car designer, I'm a bit conflicted.

For Tesla:
On one hand, I have seen the model 3 up close and think it is the only Tesla I have ever honestly thought I would buy. It looks good, comes with cool options, and is generally faster than most if not all the vehicles on the road you could get for the price. Full stop. Model 3, white on white. I dig it. Big as screen is cool I suppose, but I bet you will get screen fatigue.

Against Tesla:
VERY poor build quality. They generally don't last, are not serviceable. When was the last time you saw a P100D, or an early roadster on the road? You cant bring them to workshops, in fact tesla has made these cars almost unserviceable on purpose, and I don't agree with that.

Also, all Tesla engineers are flunkies who couldn't get a job at a traditional car company, or got fired from one. Trust me, I know many. This goes back to point A about build quality.

Their entire model line, besides the model 3, is absolutely hideous. I know their designs are made to supposedly cut down on drag, but they look ******* horrible. Horrible wheels, horrible design. Rather buy a Honda Element than a Model Y. You don't want to be the douchebag who buys a model X and thinks he looks cool, do you? It's almost as ugly as the first gen Maserati Quatroporte. Yuck...

Finally, gas is ******* stupid cheap. like WOA. You all do not understand how much cheaper gas is than it is in Europe. UK where I usually live is still 6x current US gas price, per gallon. To this I say, take advantage. Until legislation forces you to buy electric, and the price is still good, **** it, buy a gas powered car and live a little. Buy ******* H2 Hummers haha.

Summary:
Would I buy a tesla? Yes, the model 3. But for a dual motor, long range price ($50k) there are probably a bunch of cars that will offer you better build quality, lower cost of ownership, good resale, and probably more passion. Cars offer an emotional connection, and that still needs to be a factor. Or just buy an appliance.

So you’re a real car guy.

What’s your opinion of the 2020 911 992?

Advertisement
Advertisement
That 3.0L turbo that comes in every 911 now is considered to be a pretty fine motor. I like the look, although the 911 has really grown in size over the years.

Definitely wider. Although I like the look. You can take one from 30 years ago and the look is pretty similar to the ones today. That’s what you call a timeless industrial design. I’ve been thinking about the 4s a little bit

Here’s what I mean about the look.

1968 911 (over 50 years ago)

5DDFE26A-61D2-4BB6-BD9D-4F24884926C0.jpeg

2020 911

F5637DDD-9168-45A4-A207-BA2CB06451DE.jpeg

Not sure about the wheelbase, but it definitely has a wider stance nowadays.

Although it has changed, the basic design is pretty darn close. The lines are more rounded now and less stark. It’s still a great looking car, even at 50+ years old

Advertisement
Son just bought the Model 3 and He loves it. Will not depreciate like many luxury cars. He received several rebates from his home state. I prefer a Porsche 911 but iEV are the cars of the future.

Definitely wider. Although I like the look. You can take one from 30 years ago and the look is pretty similar to the ones today. That’s what you call a timeless industrial design. I’ve been thinking about the 4s a little bit

View attachment 117778

2020 911

View attachment 117779

Although it has changed, the basic design is pretty darn close. The lines are more rounded now and less stark. It’s still a great looking car, even at 50+ years old
You're thinking of getting the 992 4s? Bless your soul.
The new 911's wheelbase is about 10" longer than that classic. Overall length 14" longer.
The recent big jump in size happened when the 991 came out in late 2012. 4" longer than the 997.2.
I've owned a 997.2 S for years. A 991.2 S is on deck.
The 991.2's were the first models where Porsche said eff it, we're throwing turbo's in ALL of the models.
The 992?....some day, some day...

I'd like to note that by responding to this I'm not comparing 911's to the Tesla.
That just wouldn't be fair.

Last edited:

View attachment 117778

2020 911

View attachment 117779

That 901 model 911
You're thinking of getting the 992 4s? Bless your soul.
The new 911's wheelbase is about 10" longer than that classic. Overall length 14" longer.
The recent big jump in size happened when the 991 came out in late 2012. 4" longer than the 997.2.
I've owned a 997.2 S for years. A 991.2 S is on deck.
The 991.2's was the first year where Porsche said eff it, we're throwing turbo's in ALL of the models.
The 992?....some day, some day...

I'd like to note that by responding to this I'm not comparing 911's to the Tesla.
That just wouldn't be fair.
My favorite water cooled is 997.2s cab and my favorite air cooled is the 993. I can dream.

Advertisement
Back