OT: Tesla ?!?

What I don’t get about the self driving, and most cars have some aspect of this, maybe not as as advanced as the Tesla AI, is these dumbasses that take their hands off the wheel on the interstate and just do whatever and stop actively driving the car.

I don’t drive a Tesla, but my car will keep the distance between me and the car in front of me, will brake if necessary, steers the car and keeps it between the lines, basically does everything for you to take your hands off the wheel and your feet off the gas or the brake, but you better believe I still have my hands on the wheel and I’m actively scanning the road, basically driving the car.

There are dumbasses that think you can just take a Tesla, and just read a novel or watch a movie on their iPad while on I-95
I've been driving for a long time and except for a little bumper bender I caused 48 years ago I've been accident free. But I'm an obsessively careful driver and intensely focus on the road ahead of me and even behind me especially when taking road trips. I've avoided numerous accidents in the past just by reacting super quickly when I see something happen on the road.
There is no way that sensors and computer controlled vehicle servos and robotics can do what I can do on my own. If someone trusts their life and the life of their family by relying solely on self-driving features on the road, I question if they should be behind the wheel in the first place.

Advertisement
I've been driving for a long time and except for a little bumper bender I caused 48 years ago I've been accident free. But I'm an obsessively careful driver and intensely focus on the road ahead of me and even behind me especially when taking road trips. I've avoided numerous accidents in the past just by reacting super quickly when I see something happen on the road.
There is no way that sensors and computer controlled vehicle servos and robotics can do what I can do on my own. If someone trusts their life and the life of their family by relying solely on self-driving features on the road, I question if they should be behind the wheel in the first place.

Thing it is, these dumbasses do trust it too much. There have been well documented accidents with fatalities because of people not keeping their attention on the road due to the auto-driving feature.

But most of these people are inexperienced drivers, and I’m afraid driving skills are getting less and less because of these auto features. I learned to drive over 30 years ago, so for most of that time, I have driven without the auto features, and therefore had to have the skills. It’s like handwriting. Nobody has good handwriting anymore.

Thing it is, these dumbasses do trust it too much. There have been well documented accidents with fatalities because of people not keeping their attention on the road due to the auto-driving feature.

But most of these people are inexperienced drivers, and I’m afraid driving skills are getting less and less because of these auto features. I learned to drive over 30 years ago, so for most of that time, I have driven without the auto features, and therefore had to have the skills. It’s like handwriting. Nobody has good handwriting anymore.
If cars rode on tracks we could let cars self-drive... but cars are operated by some drivers who are very irresponsible cretins, or drunks and/or drugged, or just tired and falling asleep... and there's just way too much congestion. We as humans can adjust to perceived traffic or road condition changes better than car sensors and electronics.
And yes there are way too many naïve people and/or dumbasses behind the wheel.

I tangentially knew two separate people that burned to death in a Tesla after an accident. Anecdotal but that's all I got. Well that and the belief that Elon Musk is a massive douche.
That guy in Weston that burned to death was a complete douche. Couldn’t have happened to a more deserving guy. Good chance he’s still burning, if you get my drift. Only travesty is that his even more awful wife wasn’t with him.

Advertisement
That guy in Weston that burned to death was a complete douche. Couldn’t have happened to a more deserving guy. Good chance he’s still burning, if you get my drift. Only travesty is that his even more awful wife wasn’t with him.

What are you talking about? Why did he deserve to burn?

Unfortunately not everyone drives like you. We're probably safer with a computer driving for most people - especially teenagers.

Haha. Wow. Not sure which dude that was (or if it might be the same one) but the guy I knew (again, tangentially) was a doctor that had a crash in Davie.

The other one was a teenager that was driving beyond recklessly on Lauderdale Beach. That one I definitely wouldn't blame specifically on the design of the car (even though the parents still tried to sue) but they do at least anecdotally seem to have an issue with igniting after accidents.

They go from 0 to 60 in 3 seconds. Brother recently rode in one and said it was like riding in a roller coaster.

i have a X P100D 'Ludicrous'.. i love it. customer service has been excellent for the few problems i had (they come to house on sundays)

i think we did a GPS timed 0 (rolling) to 60 in 2.8 (with hunting gear in the back and my nephews in the back seat)....which is excellent for any supercar. (much less a SUV)

i'm not exactly a hippie.. i've previous rotated Toyota Tundras and F350 every other year..
i could not care less about emessions... but i was attracted initially to the favorable lease terms.

i'm a 100% unabashed the tesla fanboy now.
this is my 2nd tesla.. once this lease expires the cyber truck will be the next vehicle.
there is a reason Tesla has pretty good retention with their owners,.. go for it. you'll be pleased.

Advertisement
As best as I can tell, it costs about $10 to fully charge my Tesla here in Florida. If you drive a lot, or are in stop and go traffic a lot, the gas difference would be sizable. I dont personally like the full auto pilot. Beyond the fact that I love to drive, the self driving is overly conservative. For example, if I turn my blinker on, it automatically slows down, when a lot of times you would like to speed up to pass. On insurance, I moved from Geico to State Farm, and the difference was huge.
Yeah if you get a Tesla most people say it's crucial to shop around for insurance. Most move to progressive I think.

What I don’t get about the self driving, and most cars have some aspect of this, maybe not as as advanced as the Tesla AI, is these dumbasses that take their hands off the wheel on the interstate and just do whatever and stop actively driving the car.

I don’t drive a Tesla, but my car will keep the distance between me and the car in front of me, will brake if necessary, steers the car and keeps it between the lines, basically does everything for you to take your hands off the wheel and your feet off the gas or the brake, but you better believe I still have my hands on the wheel and I’m actively scanning the road, basically driving the car.

There are dumbasses that think you can just take a Tesla, and just read a novel or watch a movie on their iPad while on I-95
Eh, I'd bet that's mostly the dumbasses with a Youtube Channel, not the everyday driver. Though it'll certainly become a bigger problem when the system FEELS good enough to take your hands off and the user has built enough confidence in the system to not maintain focus.. Tesla NEEDs to put a driver monitoring camera in to track head/eyes of the driver to make sure they're paying attention. Using torque on the steering wheel is just dumb.

Haha. Wow. Not sure which dude that was (or if it might be the same one) but the guy I knew (again, tangentially) was a doctor that had a crash in Davie.

The other one was a teenager that was driving beyond recklessly on Lauderdale Beach. That one I definitely wouldn't blame specifically on the design of the car (even though the parents still tried to sue) but they do at least anecdotally seem to have an issue with igniting after accidents.
Yeah, that's him, the doctor in Davie. Let's just say he was not a quality individual. And his wife is an even worse human being. Words wouldn't do this couple justice. It was Karma that got him and a good day for the human race.

Advertisement
Yeah, that's him, the doctor in Davie. Let's just say he was not a quality individual. And his wife is an even worse human being. Words wouldn't do this couple justice. It was Karma that got him and a good day for the human race.

Wow. I know she had a son die too so I kinda chalked that up to her not being an extremely pleasant individual but I didn't know anyone in that family very well and that appears to be for the better based of your characterization.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back