OT: Tesla ?!?

Advertisement
No offense, I can’t ever remember seeing something like this on the road. Good Lord, it looks like a hearse almost
Well your age may factor in. This was an '80' Olds Custom Cruiser and I'm 65 sonny. Yes when I drove this in to work after driving Z cars for years people stopped going to lunch with me... dates would stand me up.

No offense, I can’t ever remember seeing something like this on the road. Good Lord, it looks like a hearse almost
Dude, a buddy from Miami who moved to Dade City just got delivery of a 2020 Z51 Corvette, white with red interior, major gorgeous! .... he did very well in the stock market so he paid cash. I'm not an envious man but.....

Well your age may factor in. This was an '80' Olds Custom Cruiser and I'm 65 sonny. Yes when I drove this in to work after driving Z cars for years people stopped going to lunch with me... dates would stand me up.

Hey, I was alive in 1980, I didn’t mean to offend you, anyway I hope I didn’t. I honestly don’t ever remember seeing a car like that because if they were still on the road in 1980 there must’ve been some on the road years later as well, but I can’t remember ever seeing a car that long and looking like that.

But it’s cool, I’m sure it had lots of storage room for all the stuff you carried around or kids or whatever.

if I posted pictures of the pieces of shlt that I drove when I was in college, you’d be laughing your *** off at me. Would make that car look like a Rolls-Royce limousine, the junkers that I drove

Advertisement
Hey, I was alive in 1980, I didn’t mean to offend you, anyway I hope I didn’t. I honestly don’t ever remember seeing a car like that because if they were still on the road in 1980 there must’ve been some on the road years later as well, but I can’t remember ever seeing a car that long and looking like that.

But it’s cool, I’m sure it had lots of storage room for all the stuff you carried around or kids or whatever.

if I posted pictures of the pieces of shlt that I drove when I was in college, you’d be laughing your *** off at me. Would make that car look like a Rolls-Royce limousine, the junkers that I drove
My friend I’m a sport, I love tongue in cheek stuff. But I can smell insults like a dog. It’s cool you by no means offended me.
My loving wife and I have different tv viewing tastes. I can binge watch Mecum for hours and fantasize being like Leno. But dream cars are one thing and the cars of our life are another. Anything you and I drove has a story and sentimental value. My first car was a nifty immaculate little 66 Volvo 122S I got in 72 when I started college and work. Stories were made with it.

Last edited:
Nothing modern, off a lot, gives me a car boner. That's just me. I don't give a **** what neat gadgets it has.

I've been a car junkie since I was a little kid. Building custom cars is one of my hobbies and I'm neck deep into the culture.
NOTHING NEW WILL EVER REPLICATE THE FEELING OF DRIVING A CLASSIC. Period.
And whatever gadgets I need, I have them installed. No sweat.

I would rather drive a piece of **** to work and spend $500-$1000 per month building a project car than spend $500-$1000 on car payments for something that has no character, individuality and looks like a hundred other cars.
Ain't a time or place on earth where a Tesla turned more heads than a convertible 71 Chevelle coming through with the cam sounding like a popcorn maker. I've watched classics steal the spotlight from $100k-$400k cars a million times. When a Tesla rolls across the Barrett Jackson stage maybe I'll change my mind.

Anyways...that's my .02
Back to the Tesla jerk fest.

Last edited:
Nothing modern, off a lot, gives me a car boner. That's just me. I don't give a **** what neat gadgets it has.

I've been a car junkie since I was a little kid. Building custom cars are my hobby and I'm neck deep into the culture.

I would rather drive a piece of **** to work and spent $500-$1000 per month building a project car than spend $500-$1000 on car payments for something that has no character, individuality and looks like a hundred other cars.
Ain't a time or place on earth where a Tesla turned more heads than a convertible 71 Chevelle coming through with the cam sounding like a popcorn maker. I've watched classics steal the spotlight from $100k-$400k cars a million times. When a Tesla rolls across the Barrett Jackson stage maybe I'll change my mind.

Anyways...that's my .02
The 71 Chevelle SS is one of the badest cars ever. My friends brother had one in red and white interior, gorgeous... good choice.

Advertisement
Here she is... and shes now in about 3000 pieces :(:(:( On a rotisserie for rust repair. Then on the boat to Miami. R33 GTR.

oh yeah bro; who’s restoring the vehicle for you? Is your engine stock or did u add to it?

I've been a car junkie since I was a little kid. Building custom cars are my hobby and I'm neck deep into the culture.

I would rather drive a piece of **** to work and spent $500-$1000 per month building a project car than spend $500-$1000 on car payments for something that has no character, individuality and looks like a hundred other cars.

Anyways...that's my .02

I feel u bro; my dad & I restored a 72 VW Karmann Ghia, a 65 Volvo 1800, a 57 Chevy 3100, and a 1968 Chevy El Camino. Best times, man. Flipped them all and made money, although my dad regrets selling that Volvo 1800.

Last edited:
Advertisement
"Perhaps, mmm. But, you know, this is the one. Yes, yes yes... I saw three of these parked outside the local Starbucks this morning, which tells me only one thing. There's too many self-Indulgent wieners in this city with too much bloody money! Now, if I was driving a 1967 275 GTB four-cam..."

Advertisement
I moved from Hawaii. Electricity is almost 39 cents per kwh. 3x more than any place in the country. It might be more now. I did the math when gas cost a little over $3.00 a gallon and the price between gas and charging an EV were about even. I think a gas vehicle would be a few hundred per yer cheaper in fuel costs. There is also the cost factor of insurance, and that has to play into the numbers as well. From what I understand, Teslas are extremely expensive to insure- so expensive that Musk considered offering Tesla insurance because owners were finding it difficult to afford to insurance costs (esp model 3 owners, who might be of more moderate means than the owners of the $100,000 Teslas).
Yup, Hawaii is the ONLY state in the country where gas prices are actually cheaper than Electricity prices. Pretty crazy tbh. Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Vermont are some states where the prices are semi-close, so the fuel savings wouldn't be too crazy. .. then of course there's states like Oregon, Washington, and California, where the savings are the largest and would legit make it cheaper (over the 5-6 year ownership) to buy a base Model 3 ($37k) than a Camry (that starts at like $25k).

Tesla does offer their own insurance, but as of right now it's only operational in California - where the VAST majority (like legit half) of their customers are. They did say they're expanding though. However I think you're wrong in why they are offering it. Tesla has more data on their vehicles than any other auto manufacturer or insurance provider around. They literally know when their customers are at home, when they open the door or trunk, when they go over 60mph (and when they are going faster than the speed limit...), they know when the user is using autopilot, they literally know everything about the vehicle at all times. And they own their own service centers and do all their own maintenance. Most insurance companies give their customers discounts to place trackers on their vehicles (people who speed lesss get cheaper insurance because they are safer) to get even 1/10th the data Tesla has pouring in. So Tesla has the data to know who their safer/less risky drivers are. So they can charge less than the competition for the safer drivers, and let the competitions insurance get the riskier drivers. (At the moment I don't think they are really using the data that much because they're just getting started with it). Secondly they are trying to solve self driving. No idea when that will be solved. Could be 5-10 years from now, but what will happen when a self driving vehicle gets in an accident? Who will be at fault? Not the owner of the vehicle if they are not in control, imo it will be the vehicle/self driving manufacturers. So they're basically getting a jump start on something that they will need to be involved in anyways, because you know when self driving cars are introduced the traditional insurance companies are going to charge an arm and a leg because it's a new risky technology....

I can think of a couple reasons.

1. Law of diminishing returns- trucks already weigh a lot. If you add the additional weight of a hybrid system, you are probably going to lose a lot of the mpg increase benefits (unless you do a huge redesign and weight reduction). I think the Chevy Silverado came in a hybrid model a while back. Dont know if it still offers it.

Standard gas (2020 model)gets 16/22 mpg
Hybrid (2013 model) got 20/23

Thats not much of an increase for thousands of dollars more.

2. No market. I dont know about you, but I'd be wary of running a hair dryer outside in a rainstorm. A lot of truck owners would be gunshy about driving a truck with a huge battery pack underneath through water. Trucks are supposed to be beaten up and driven hard. I think EV/hybrid trucks have been looked at a few times but there just wasn't enough interest. GM has an interesting design though coming out- they are using a small "battery assist" that can provide instant torque directly to the wheels. Batteries are going to be located inside the cab under the rear bench seats. Given the horror stories about battery fires, I don't know that I'd want to put my kid's car seat above that battery pack.
good points, I wasn't thinking beyond the extra pulling power from a dead stop.

Yup, Hawaii is the ONLY state in the country where gas prices are actually cheaper than Electricity prices. Pretty crazy tbh. Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Vermont are some states where the prices are semi-close, so the fuel savings wouldn't be too crazy. .. then of course there's states like Oregon, Washington, and California, where the savings are the largest and would legit make it cheaper (over the 5-6 year ownership) to buy a base Model 3 ($37k) than a Camry (that starts at like $25k).

Tesla does offer their own insurance, but as of right now it's only operational in California - where the VAST majority (like legit half) of their customers are. They did say they're expanding though. However I think you're wrong in why they are offering it. Tesla has more data on their vehicles than any other auto manufacturer or insurance provider around. They literally know when their customers are at home, when they open the door or trunk, when they go over 60mph (and when they are going faster than the speed limit...), they know when the user is using autopilot, they literally know everything about the vehicle at all times. And they own their own service centers and do all their own maintenance. Most insurance companies give their customers discounts to place trackers on their vehicles (people who speed lesss get cheaper insurance because they are safer) to get even 1/10th the data Tesla has pouring in. So Tesla has the data to know who their safer/less risky drivers are. So they can charge less than the competition for the safer drivers, and let the competitions insurance get the riskier drivers. (At the moment I don't think they are really using the data that much because they're just getting started with it). Secondly they are trying to solve self driving. No idea when that will be solved. Could be 5-10 years from now, but what will happen when a self driving vehicle gets in an accident? Who will be at fault? Not the owner of the vehicle if they are not in control, imo it will be the vehicle/self driving manufacturers. So they're basically getting a jump start on something that they will need to be involved in anyways, because you know when self driving cars are introduced the traditional insurance companies are going to charge an arm and a leg because it's a new risky technology....

As best as I can tell, it costs about $10 to fully charge my Tesla here in Florida. If you drive a lot, or are in stop and go traffic a lot, the gas difference would be sizable. I dont personally like the full auto pilot. Beyond the fact that I love to drive, the self driving is overly conservative. For example, if I turn my blinker on, it automatically slows down, when a lot of times you would like to speed up to pass. On insurance, I moved from Geico to State Farm, and the difference was huge.

As best as I can tell, it costs about $10 to fully charge my Tesla here in Florida. If you drive a lot, or are in stop and go traffic a lot, the gas difference would be sizable. I dont personally like the full auto pilot. Beyond the fact that I love to drive, the self driving is overly conservative. For example, if I turn my blinker on, it automatically slows down, when a lot of times you would like to speed up to pass. On insurance, I moved from Geico to State Farm, and the difference was huge.

What I don’t get about the self driving, and most cars have some aspect of this, maybe not as as advanced as the Tesla AI, is these dumbasses that take their hands off the wheel on the interstate and just do whatever and stop actively driving the car.

I don’t drive a Tesla, but my car will keep the distance between me and the car in front of me, will brake if necessary, steers the car and keeps it between the lines, basically does everything for you to take your hands off the wheel and your feet off the gas or the brake, but you better believe I still have my hands on the wheel and I’m actively scanning the road, basically driving the car.

There are dumbasses that think you can just take a Tesla, and just read a novel or watch a movie on their iPad while on I-95

Advertisement
Back