OT: Spencer Jones

Advertisement
Too soon???

DA2B4F20-2611-47D1-A1CE-98A5E87E744B.gif

Advertisement
Yeah, I can only go by what I’m seeing in the video and Jones is putting his hands in his face and talking threateningly it appears but the the MMA guy wasn’t in a forced conflict at the moment until he was pushed. The problem is he didn’t see who pushed him and assumed, with good reason, that it was Jones - but since it wasn’t, he attacked the wrong guy. I think the guy who did the pushing, and the MMA guy could be arrested for battery. If I was the MMA guy, I’d argue that Jones and his friend were working together in concert here and are one and the same but I’ll leave all things criminal to @AtlAtty to opine on.
Funny you ask this question because my 18 year old son saw the video and was asking this morning how much trouble will people have for the fight.

I would expect the 2 guys, the MMA fighter and his friend to both be charged with assault. Depending on the severity of the injuries will likely determine if the charges are upgraded to a felony. If Jones needs surgery to his eye then that is almost certainly a felony. In Georgia we would charge that as aggravated assault, or aggravated battery if there is some loss of use of the eye, even if temporary, as a result of the hit.

People will likely ask that if Jones and his friend initiated the fight are they also in trouble or does that mitigate the trouble for the MMA guy and his friend. Talking **** isn't a charge and that light push is a misdemeanor at most. Remember that a person can always defend her/himself or a 3rd party in a manner and to a degree that is equivalent to the threat. The question in this case for the police and prosecutor is did the threat (**** talking and light shove) warrant the reaction from the other 2 guys. Most likely the answer will be no and they will be charged. If I was a betting person I would bet on misdemeanor probation of 12 months, fine and. possibly community service and/or anger management for the friend, and felony probation of 205 years and similar conditions for the MMA guy.

Last comment about the fight. No one was breaking it up. People today would rather film the fight than stop it. Crazy how times have changed. We would watch for a few punches but once it looked like someone may get hurt we always jumped in to stop the fight before someone went to the hospital and someone else went to jail.

The guy attacked though (Jones) isn’t the guy who made contact. It was the friend of Jones who made contact. The MMA dude attacked the wrong one.
Apparently (this is according to comments on the twitter thread so take with a grain of salt) the bloody nose he has is from jones sucker punching him. May have been for talking to a girl. If those guys are the reason the MMA guy was bleeding and especially if it was a cheap shot then he absolutely deserved it all

Advertisement
Apparently (this is according to comments on the twitter thread so take with a grain of salt) the bloody nose he has is from jones sucker punching him. May have been for talking to a girl. If those guys are the reason the MMA guy was bleeding and especially if it was a cheap shot then he absolutely deserved it all
Sure he definitely deserved to be punched back but if that’s the case, he should have done Jones at the time of the sucker punch - at least to have some self defense claim I’d think. The the threat of imminent danger to the MMA guy seems to have stopped based on me reading into @AtlAtty ’s post.

Sure he definitely deserved to be punched back but if that’s the case, he should have done Jones at the time of the sucker punch - at least to have some self defense claim I’d think. The the threat of imminent danger to the MMA guy seems to have stopped based on me reading into @AtlAtty ’s post.
You are exactly correct. Let's assume that Jones or his friend had punched the MMA guy earlier in the bar/club and then we saw the later confrontation in the courtroom. The attack earlier would not justify the later retaliation, but it would support the MMA guy and his friend arguing that they felt threatened in the bathroom and had no place to go. The question for the MMA guy and his friend is did they do more than was warranted? Probably.

Funny you ask this question because my 18 year old son saw the video and was asking this morning how much trouble will people have for the fight.

I would expect the 2 guys, the MMA fighter and his friend to both be charged with assault. Depending on the severity of the injuries will likely determine if the charges are upgraded to a felony. If Jones needs surgery to his eye then that is almost certainly a felony. In Georgia we would charge that as aggravated assault, or aggravated battery if there is some loss of use of the eye, even if temporary, as a result of the hit.

People will likely ask that if Jones and his friend initiated the fight are they also in trouble or does that mitigate the trouble for the MMA guy and his friend. Talking **** isn't a charge and that light push is a misdemeanor at most. Remember that a person can always defend her/himself or a 3rd party in a manner and to a degree that is equivalent to the threat. The question in this case for the police and prosecutor is did the threat (**** talking and light shove) warrant the reaction from the other 2 guys. Most likely the answer will be no and they will be charged. If I was a betting person I would bet on misdemeanor probation of 12 months, fine and. possibly community service and/or anger management for the friend, and felony probation of 205 years and similar conditions for the MMA guy.

Last comment about the fight. No one was breaking it up. People today would rather film the fight than stop it. Crazy how times have changed. We would watch for a few punches but once it looked like someone may get hurt we always jumped in to stop the fight before someone went to the hospital and someone else went to jail.
They won’t be charged unless the “victims” want them to be. And in that case, those dudes should be shamed off of OU’s campus. They weren’t jumped. They wanted to be tough guys and got their asses handed to them. Take it like men and move on.

They won’t be charged unless the “victims” want them to be. And in that case, those dudes should be shamed off of OU’s campus. They weren’t jumped. They wanted to be tough guys and got their asses handed to them. Take it like men and move on.
The Jones dude’s family hired a lawyer and is going to sue it appears.

Advertisement
The only people that should be sued by Ol' Spencer are his parents for naming him Spencer. He was destined to end up knocked out face down in **** and fecal matter. Just like his brother Thatcher and his cousins Graham and Reed and Buckley.

this.

sad statement on our society

Advertisement
Is the guy doing the filming risking any punishment as well? Doing any kind of recording in a bathroom / locker room type area is not exactly kosher, especially if the urinal dudes didn't consent

I never knew as a kid how bad *** wrestlers were ,no clue . If I’d known this I’d spent less time saying how *** it looked and more time rolling around with dudes lol.

In all seriousness there’s levels to this ****, somebody with just basic mma / wrestling skills will f you up. Pro wrestlers refer to them as shooters , you don’t want that smoke.
I wrestled and it was hard as ****. The coaches talked me into it my freshman year of high school.

The one thing you figure out pretty **** quick (especially if you started really late like I did) is that it's really hard to tell who's good based upon appearance. Some dude might look unathletic as **** and be a complete badass and vice versa.

Advertisement
Back