OT: SKA fans

I think it was more of the times it came out and where it originated.

wave 1 was from Jamaica...it predated reggae.

wave 2 was England.

Wave 3 added more ska punk, ska jazz and I believe it was from the US.
Very interesting, thanks for sharing. My experience is literally the handful of Christian bands that used horns and started in the mid 90s, coupled with a few guys I knew who formed a band around that time too. I don’t know that any of them qualify as Ska, but it formed my understanding of the genre. Also taught me how to poorly *****.

Advertisement
This one seems fitting.

Jon Natchez was in this band..and he's now the sax player of The War on Drugs.

3rd wave ska which came about in the late 80's and 90's was more punk influenced than the early stuff. The genre is mostly known as ska-punk or as coined by the Bosstones "ska-core". When someone says "ska is just punk with horns", they're usually referring to this type of music.

If you were playing punk rock in the 90's you were either playing ska core, skate punk (NOFX, Pennywise, some Bad Religion) or in the late 90's we got pop punk (Blink 182, New Found Glory).

3rd wave ska which came about in the late 80's and 90's was more punk influenced than the early stuff. The genre is mostly known as ska-punk or as coined by the Bosstones "ska-core". When someone says "ska is just punk with horns", they're usually referring to this type of music.

If you were playing punk rock in the 90's you were either playing ska core, skate punk (NOFX, Pennywise, some Bad Religion) or in the late 90's we got pop punk (Blink 182, New Found Glory).
personally Bad Religion was always punk to me. With smarter lyrics.

also fitting for the time. Also Greg Graffin is smarter than most of us.

Thanks for sharing. Makes me wonder where the band I first mentioned, Five Iron Frenzy, fits in that constellation. Maybe — maybe — early on they have a bit more punk/ska-core?

This is the first track off their first album:

But over time they lost that and really never struck me as punk in mood or style. But I doubt they have the bonafides even early on to be natively ska.

Second album:

While they never lost the horns, by their fourth studio album they really don’t feel like a ska band at all to me. Granted I still personally love their music, but it wasn't the same jam (as bands often go):

Advertisement
personally Bad Religion was always punk to me. With smarter lyrics.

also fitting for the time. Also Greg Graffin is smarter than most of us.

Yeah, they never really fit into the “skate punk” sub genre but Brett was putting out a lot of my all time favorite records on Epitaph at the time so they tend to get bunched in with those guys. Bad Religion and The Descendents pretty much brought melody back to punk after hardcore died out.

Yeah, they never really fit into the “skate punk” sub genre but Brett was putting out a lot of my all time favorite records on Epitaph at the time so they tend to get bunched in with those guys. Bad Religion and The Descendents pretty much brought melody back to punk after hardcore died out.

I mean I got more into Samiam, and Farside and Gameface...and sensefield, and sunny day real estate.

How in the seven ****'s are we talking about SKA and nobody has mentioned

STREETLIGHT MANIFESTO?!?!?!?!

Advertisement

Pop punk was the worst thing to happen to the genre. Please don't defile the word punk with those **** bands.

You’re only thinking of 3rd wave ska which took place in the 90’s. The original ska bands Far predated hardcore. 1st wave ska was primarily Jamaican bands in the early 1960’s. Reggae is actually an offshoot of ska.

Predecessors of ska, not ska. I'm also slightly confused of your use of "Far" here as a proper noun because they're one of my favorite hardcore bands, but have nothing to do with ska, so assuming that's just a mistake.

The closest ancestor you'll find to ska came from The Clash and The Cure.

What you're saying is akin to calling The Stooges punk. Ehhhh... there's some foundation there, but the genre wasn't solidified until the late 70's/early 80's.

Advertisement
Bad Religion and The Descendents pretty much brought melody back to punk after hardcore died out.

Descendents were already doing that and were the progenitors of pop-punk (being huge influences on Green Day). The interesting thing here is the use of the word "melody" whereas Descendents were almost as sloppy as you get.

They were a bit of a paradox unto themselves, as songs such as "I Like Food" is closer to Minor Threat but "Everything Sucks" is more Green Day.

Advertisement
Because I wouldn't call it ska.
so what do you call the skatalites, or Bob Marley/bunny and the wailers?

I was a ska/punk DJ in college...actually wrote papers on the references. These are all the purest forms of Ska. Reggae was an offshoot of Ska. Third wave took punk elements and ska elements and mixed it together.

The closest ancestor you'll find to ska came from The Clash and The Cure.

What you're saying is akin to calling The Stooges punk. Ehhhh... there's some foundation there, but the genre wasn't solidified until the late 70's/early 80's.

This isn't something I made up nor is it my opinion. The first ska bands (they called themselves "ska") were in the 1960's. This is way before the Clash or The Cure. Pretty much before anything considered "punk". Ska predates reggae.

Sublime was not a ska band like Beastie Boys (probably Sublime's biggest influence) were not a rap group. You really can't define either.
It's a ska jam. Sublime was a blend of rap,rock,punk, reggae and ska. One of a kind band!

Go Canes!!

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back