OT: SKA fans

IndayArtHauz

Knoxville Baby Maker
Administrator
I noticed most other two major genres are well represented in this forum, so I wanted to give a chance for the third biggest slice of the music pie to shine.

Five Iron Frenzy is my favorite band of all time, besides NYSOM’s. Walked out to them at my wedding, still listen to their old albums like they were new releases, and fondly remember the day I was given ‘Upbeats and Beatdowns’ as my first ever compact disc. My friend “didn’t get it” and tossed it to me as if it were Rembrandt that didn’t fit the decor of his beach house. Yes, he was rich and an only child. We were both young and dumb, but like Matthew Perry chasing Salma Hayek I was the fool who rushed into love with electric guitars and an entire section of brass.

Because they are so popular I’ve just included one track, which somehow only has 4.7k views. I expect that number to grow faster than the national COVID19 curve once the huge fan base at CIS gets good and “horn-ey” after this post goes live.

This second track is from the lesser known but still very popular Reel Big Fish. I included it because despite prominently featuring the lyric “she’s so ****ing cute/I wish that she was mine.... I don’t know what to do/maybe I could kill you”, my friends and I were inexplicably allowed to sing it at our church’s youth group karaoke night. It was better received than the prep kids singing Dixie Chicks and Creed and I’d like to think it launched my career as a wasted talent.

Well that’s all for me, just here to shine the last light on the Mount Rushmore of music: Ska. I’m sure you guys have some deep cuts from the Mighty Mighty Bosstones you've been itching to share. Now’s the time!

Advertisement
Advertisement
Me so horn-ey! A little bit of Chicago overtones in there with same brass trio - trumpet, sax, trombone.

Advertisement
My cousin went to school with the lead guitarist of New Found Glory. Not nearly as cool as your story. Although, I think Twiggy Ramirez went there too
This friend of mine grew up in Los Gatos, CA and went to Westmont High School. The bandmember he grew up with I think is Lars.

Advertisement
I know nothing of this music but since @IndayArtHauz listens to it, I’m intrigued. I saw a program on TV years ago about neo-**** ska so i used to think that’s what it was. I like Institutionalized by Social Distortion. Is that similar?

I know nothing of this music but since @IndayArtHauz listens to it, I’m intrigued. I saw a program on TV years ago about neo-**** ska so i used to think that’s what it was. I like Institutionalized by Social Distortion. Is that similar?

wait...are you thinking of Institutionalized (aka the Pepsi song) by Suicidal Tendencies?

Advertisement
My cousin went to school with the lead guitarist of New Found Glory. Not nearly as cool as your story. Although, I think Twiggy Ramirez went there too
Actually sold Jordan from NFG his first Rancid shirt while helping my friend out at his record store. Saw the first show they played at Cheers in Miami... opening for AFI.

Advertisement
Back