OT: SKA fans

I mean yeah, the original US punk band, The Ramones, were pretty much pop-punk. Bands like The Descendants and Bad Religion helped bring melody back to the music. Most 80’s punk bands were hardcore bands ripping off Bad Brains. Blink 182 actually had like four albums before they got popular with the late 90’s pop punk boom. I went to high school with the singer from New Found Glory and at the time he was the typical punk gatekeeper calling every band who was mildly successful (like Rancid or NOFX) “trendy posers”. It’s funny how fast your attitude can change when someone shoves a wheelbarrow full of cash into your face.

IDK if I would call the Ramones pop-punk, and definitely not exclusively. The first album was by and large hard. They did a lot more doo-*** and Motown type stuff than the more traditional pop lines you heard from the Descendants. But neither ever really enjoyed popularity either. And at the end of the day all pop really means is popular.

The bands like Blink and NFG were happy to call themselves punk but also happy to cut a big record deal and jump all over MTV. That to me, regardless of the music you play, is the antithesis of punk. Plus their music sucked hairy donkey balls, so there's that. All the Small Things is one of the single worst songs I've ever heard in my life.

It reminds me of the transition of The Offspring putting out a song like Smash and effectively saying be your own person and then putting out Pretty Fly for a White Guy two albums later. F@$^ing sellouts.

Advertisement
IDK if I would call the Ramones pop-punk, and definitely not exclusively. The first album was by and large hard. They did a lot more doo-*** and Motown type stuff than the more traditional pop lines you heard from the Descendants. But neither ever really enjoyed popularity either. And at the end of the day all pop really means is popular.

The bands like Blink and NFG were happy to call themselves punk but also happy to cut a big record deal and jump all over MTV. That to me, regardless of the music you play, is the antithesis of punk. Plus their music sucked hairy donkey balls, so there's that. All the Small Things is one of the single worst songs I've ever heard in my life.

It reminds me of the transition of The Offspring putting out a song like Smash and effectively saying be your own person and then putting out Pretty Fly for a White Guy two albums later. F@$^ing sellouts.
Smash is still the highest selling independent album of all time. I never really cared much for the Offspring though. They always came off more as 90’s alternative than punk. But yeah, they went full on cornball after hitting it big.

Smash is still the highest selling independent album of all time. I never really cared much for the Offspring though. They always came off more as 90’s alternative than punk. But yeah, they went full on cornball after hitting it big.
Their first album was great, then they saw $$$ and decided to get mainstream and gimmicky, which resulted in Smash and everything after. A shame really, because his unique vocals could have done so much more.

Advertisement
I mean yeah, the original US punk band, The Ramones, were pretty much pop-punk. Bands like The Descendants and Bad Religion helped bring melody back to the music. Most 80’s punk bands were hardcore bands ripping off Bad Brains. Blink 182 actually had like four albums before they got popular with the late 90’s pop punk boom. I went to high school with the singer from New Found Glory and at the time he was the typical punk gatekeeper calling every band who was mildly successful (like Rancid or NOFX) “trendy posers”. It’s funny how fast your attitude can change when someone shoves a wheelbarrow full of cash into your face.
Funny, I sold Jordan his first Rancid shirt back in the day at Echo records.

Funny, I sold Jordan his first Rancid shirt back in the day at Echo records.
Lol. That must have been before he got too cool for MTV bands. I’ll never forget the day in 11th grade marine biology class. Some kid came in to deliver a message to the teacher and he was wearing a Rancid shirt. Jordan (who sat right next to me because my last name also begins with P) called the kid a “trendy poser”.

Lol. That must have been before he got too cool for MTV bands. I’ll never forget the day in 11th grade marine biology class. Some kid came in to deliver a message to the teacher and he was wearing a Rancid shirt. Jordan (who sat right next to me because my last name also begins with P) called the kid a “trendy poser”.
Yeah, he got a bit too big for his britches...I liked Ian better...we would do some drinking at different shows. Cyrus wasn't a bad guy either. Jordan always rubbed me the wrong way.

Yeah, he got a bit too big for his britches...I liked Ian better...we would do some drinking at different shows. Cyrus wasn't a bad guy either. Jordan always rubbed me the wrong way.
I only knew Jordan because he went to Cooper City until senior year. He was a funny dude. I mostly only knew him because so many teachers sat kids alphabetically so we often sat next to each other. I was a much more casual punk fan than he was. He was that dude that was literally wearing thrift store clothes every day.

Advertisement
I only knew Jordan because he went to Cooper City until senior year. He was a funny dude. I mostly only knew him because so many teachers sat kids alphabetically so we often sat next to each other. I was a much more casual punk fan than he was. He was that dude that was literally wearing thrift store clothes every day.
So I got you by a few years...graduated Hills in 94

Advertisement
Back