OT: SKA fans

Advertisement
I wish I had seen this thread earlier!!!!
@IndayArtHauz, I used "Anthem" from Five Iron Frenzy as one of the two songs on my video I made to get sponsored skateboarding way back in the day.
Operation Ivy was really the first band to mix Ska and Punk and they did it super well although they didn't stay together long enough to put out too much stuff. They did morph off and give us Rancid and Common Rider.
Other Ska bands to check out that I didn't see on here are the Toasters & ***** and Pickle.
Ayyyyyyeee! Where’s that skate tape man?

Advertisement
Im not sure how I missed this thread until today but...

Perhaps my most favorite band of all time is called Fishbone. For those who arent aware, Fishbone is the greatest live band EVER! Dont believe it? Juss axe a Fishbone fan. Since Im one I'll tell you right now, Fishbone is the greatest live band EVER! :quagfinal:

Im not sure how I missed this thread until today but...

Perhaps my most favorite band of all time is called Fishbone. For those who arent aware, Fishbone is the greatest live band EVER! Dont believe it? Juss axe a Fishbone fan. Since Im one I'll tell you right now, Fishbone is the greatest live band EVER! :quagfinal:

I love this. Thanks for sharing!

I love this. Thanks for sharing!

Honestly, I can on and on about Fishbone. Significant band in my life. I first saw them on a random night at the Whiskey a' Go Go in West Hollywood (SoCal) in like 1987. Keep in mind in those days "The Whiskey" was the legendary bar where epic classic rock artists got their start. To see seven unknown black dudes from South Central L.A. come on stage definitely got peoples' attention. Then they started playing. WOW! They blew the room away that night.

These guys would go from punk to funk to ska to R&B to Alt Rock and back again all in one set. And would be incredibly tight in every genre. They would go from 2 guitars/ bass/drums/keyboards with multi-part vocals to 1 guitar/bass/drums/3 piece horn line seamlessly...and back again.

To have seen Fishbone in concert between 1986-2002 or so was to have seen as tight, as eclectic, and as generally as badass of a live music show as can be imagined. Its been said there are only two types of live music fans, Those who saw Fishbone during that era and those who wish they had. I'm lucky to have seen them six times. :snowman:

Advertisement
First introduction to SKA was Goldfinger and it was because the song was on Tony Hawks Pro Skater on the original Playstation.

To me this song had all the elements of SKA

Kinda ska, reggae, then starting to be mainstream with their ladt album. Had big time talent - freakin heroin!

Eh, I'd say the self-titled album had radio-friendly songs, but it was still a beautiful amalgam of proper ska, punk and dub. It was also simply much more refined as an album than 40oz or Robbin' the Hood. They really could have done some impressive things had Brad not died.

First introduction to SKA was Goldfinger and it was because the song was on Tony Hawks Pro Skater on the original Playstation.

To me this song had all the elements of SKA

This was a really good album and in pretty constant rotation on the car CD deck. They were good live too.

Advertisement
3rd wave ska which came about in the late 80's and 90's was more punk influenced than the early stuff. The genre is mostly known as ska-punk or as coined by the Bosstones "ska-core". When someone says "ska is just punk with horns", they're usually referring to this type of music.

If you were playing punk rock in the 90's you were either playing ska core, skate punk (NOFX, Pennywise, some Bad Religion) or in the late 90's we got pop punk (Blink 182, New Found Glory).

Pop-punk only fully emerged as a "genre" in the late 90's, but you had Green Day to usher it in and the Descendants who basically started the whole thing before that (although you could argue many Ramones songs were pop-punk, and laid a foundation).

Bands like Blink 182, Good Charlotte, etc are an absolute disgrace to music and should never be uttered in the same breath as any reputable band.

There's a little heavier ska-ish band I started listening to when they opened up for 311, and founded by Nick Hexum. The Urge very cool. Saw Goldfinger ,Bosstones, Green Day, etc. Goldfinger one of my favorite shows. They played for a hour and 45 minutes. Played a cover of "Song 2" by Blur. The venue wanted to close so they went out to the curb, and started playing acoustic on the sidewalk. It was pretty good

Oh **** TOTALLY forgot about The Urge. Don't really remember them.

@Canes2082 - Good call on Goldfinger. They were more of a ska-metal band.

I always saw Goldfinger as a perfect example of a ska band. If you would lean them to metal, Less Than Jake was a heavier band and very much ska.

While staying somewhat true to the genre, I'd call a band like Zebrahead closer to ska-metal. Although I do recall a band or two I think referred to as ska-core which was VERY metal with horns.

Advertisement
I always saw Goldfinger as a perfect example of a ska band. If you would lean them to metal, Less Than Jake was a heavier band and very much ska.

While staying somewhat true to the genre, I'd call a band like Zebrahead closer to ska-metal. Although I do recall a band or two I think referred to as ska-core which was VERY metal with horns.

Ha! I saw Zebrahead on a random Thursday night in Fresno. Saw them in a tiny bar for like $8. Super fun show. Really enjoyable.

They disappeared from the scene a year or two later.

Pop-punk only fully emerged as a "genre" in the late 90's, but you had Green Day to usher it in and the Descendants who basically started the whole thing before that (although you could argue many Ramones songs were pop-punk, and laid a foundation).

Bands like Blink 182, Good Charlotte, etc are an absolute disgrace to music and should never be uttered in the same breath as any reputable band.
I mean yeah, the original US punk band, The Ramones, were pretty much pop-punk. Bands like The Descendants and Bad Religion helped bring melody back to the music. Most 80’s punk bands were hardcore bands ripping off Bad Brains. Blink 182 actually had like four albums before they got popular with the late 90’s pop punk boom. I went to high school with the singer from New Found Glory and at the time he was the typical punk gatekeeper calling every band who was mildly successful (like Rancid or NOFX) “trendy posers”. It’s funny how fast your attitude can change when someone shoves a wheelbarrow full of cash into your face.

@Canes2082 - Good call on Goldfinger. They were more of a ska-metal band. They had a couple really good songs.

My fave:

Their first album was mostly punk with a few ska songs thrown in but by the time the second album came out, they were full on ska band with horns all.

interesting side note: Their drummer was a pioneer of death metal. His first band, Beyond Death, eventually became Cannibal Corpse.

Advertisement
Back