OT: SKA fans

St. Cloud proud!! These cats have been playing together for a very long time now. They're an extremely talented and diverse band that blends rock. Reggae and punk. I wouldn't call them a ska band but I'm sure if they wanted to put out some ska music. They could pull it off with ease.

Go Canes!!!!!

I've seen the supervillians more times than I can count growing up in Sanford. Horns, Caribbean rhythm a little jazz...sounds like ska to me lol

I love the supervillans! massive and postcards you can listen to the whole cd not a single bad song.

I would also check out their lesser known ep "robots" way different than their usual stuff.

Advertisement

Attachments

• C6EE7909-5A76-4F46-B5DF-911A9FD3E726.jpeg
    C6EE7909-5A76-4F46-B5DF-911A9FD3E726.jpeg
    251.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 69F2F537-6F07-41DB-8246-981AAC2DC95B.jpeg
    69F2F537-6F07-41DB-8246-981AAC2DC95B.jpeg
    357.1 KB · Views: 1
I've seen the supervillians more times than I can count growing up in Sanford. Horns, Caribbean rhythm a little jazz...sounds like ska to me lol

I love the supervillans! massive and postcards you can listen to the whole cd not a single bad song.

I would also check out their lesser known ep "robots" way different than their usual stuff.
There's some Ska influence in their stuff for sure. A good friend of mine grew up jamming with Dom and the boys. Even recorded with them. They've gotten close to making it big but just never got over the hump. Hard working band that tours to pay for their weed and Bill's at this point in the game. They're doing what they love so that's a win win in my book.

Go Canes!!!!!

Definitely not Ska but here's a band that blends horns , rock, hip hop, salsa and reggae with a Caribbean flare. Miami's own. The Spam All Stars. Straight fire. Enjoy. I know I do.

Go Canes!!!!

Advertisement

Curious if any of you guys are familiar with this band from West Palm Beach. Late 90’s/early 2000’s they were pretty popular locally. If you’re in self quarantine and bored, check this album out. If you’re into the music in this thread I think you’ll like it

Curious if any of you guys are familiar with this band from West Palm Beach. Late 90’s/early 2000’s they were pretty popular locally. If you’re in self quarantine and bored, check this album out. If you’re into the music in this thread I think you’ll like it

Good stuff. Thanks for sharing!!!!

Go Canes!!!!!

Advertisement
There's a little heavier ska-ish band I started listening to when they opened up for 311, and founded by Nick Hexum. The Urge very cool. Saw Goldfinger ,Bosstones, Green Day, etc. Goldfinger one of my favorite shows. They played for a hour and 45 minutes. Played a cover of "Song 2" by Blur. The venue wanted to close so they went out to the curb, and started playing acoustic on the sidewalk. It was pretty good

I wish I had seen this thread earlier!!!!
@IndayArtHauz, I used "Anthem" from Five Iron Frenzy as one of the two songs on my video I made to get sponsored skateboarding way back in the day.
Operation Ivy was really the first band to mix Ska and Punk and they did it super well although they didn't stay together long enough to put out too much stuff. They did morph off and give us Rancid and Common Rider.
Other Ska bands to check out that I didn't see on here are the Toasters & ***** and Pickle.

Advertisement
Ska was interesting as a genre because it basically reached its apex and then was over immediately. Much like its hardcore punk progenitors, there was little room for growth musically and therefore was short-lived. Nobody really emerged from it with a sustainable career (as in, receiving regular major-media play), and I wonder if that would be different if Brad Nowell didn't die or if Gwen Stefani didn't try to be Madonna.

I'm surprised at no mention of Goldfinger or No Doubt before Gwen Stefani became a massive sellout. Such a shame, she absolutely crushed it on Saw Red.
Good call No Doubt. Solid band. The Mighty Mighty Bostones were big back in my day.

I saw The Bosstones in '97 at the Coral Sky during a H.O.R.D.E. tour. Their fans were impressive. They tore out the front row of seats to dance.

My tastes run more towards the Jamaican stuff

Advertisement
I saw The Bosstones in '97 at the Coral Sky during a H.O.R.D.E. tour. Their fans were impressive. They tore out the front row of seats to dance.

My tastes run more towards the Jamaican stuff

I was there

Wow. This thread is taking me back. I was a HUGE Reel Big Fish fan. Goldfinger and Rancid too, although I don't think I'd classify either one as ska.

Has anyone thrown in MxPx here? Loved those guys too around the same time (although not ska either). But it's all in the genre of skate music.

Advertisement
Back