OT: SKA fans

You can’t mention ska on a Miami forum without these guys

Advertisement
I would disagree regarding "multiple waves of ska," unless you want to call The Clash ska (and hey, they were influential on the genre). That late 90's movement was basically it as far as making any mark on the main stream. No Doubt, Sublime and the Bosstones (or, rather Knock On Wood, precisely) were at the forefront and there were a ton of lesser-knowns. Yes, they still tour, but I don't know of anyone doing anything new in ska.

It's basically just punk rock with horns and a little reggae bass. You can't do all that much with it musically.

I've seen most of those bands (all it takes is going to Warped Tour once). Reel Big Fish were atrocious live. The two lead guys just chatted up inside jokes ad nauseam. Goldfinger put out some decent stuff, and Sublime could have been all-time greats had they lasted. Personally I'll stick with the hardcore punk that influenced ska over ska itself.
Punk with horns - sounds like Madness. Is that ska?

Anyone remember Blinking Underdogs? They were a local UM/South Miami ska band in the very late 90's and early 2000's. One dude from that group blew up beyond all imagination.

Attachments

• D3F7DDBC-5C95-4911-8B51-0F63F7A71174.jpeg
    D3F7DDBC-5C95-4911-8B51-0F63F7A71174.jpeg
    22.7 KB · Views: 1
Advertisement
Advertisement
I see this is one of those topics where I bring my thimble full of experience to the internet and find out there’s six oceans and seven seas beyond my understanding, ahahahaha.

Well done, all

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back