OT: SKA fans

Advertisement
Advertisement
Ska was interesting as a genre because it basically reached its apex and then was over immediately. Much like its hardcore punk progenitors, there was little room for growth musically and therefore was short-lived. Nobody really emerged from it with a sustainable career (as in, receiving regular major-media play), and I wonder if that would be different if Brad Nowell didn't die or if Gwen Stefani didn't try to be Madonna.

I'm surprised at no mention of Goldfinger or No Doubt before Gwen Stefani became a massive sellout. Such a shame, she absolutely crushed it on Saw Red.

Kinda ska, reggae, then starting to be mainstream with their ladt album. Had big time talent - freakin heroin!

They were probably mostly ska (which grew out of reggae to a degree), but did all sorts of other stuff, including pretty heavy punk. Not like a Less Than Jake or most other ska bands where every song is basically the same.

Yeah, heroin. Crazy to think that people like Reznor, Kiedis and Ray Charles got off of it. It's a death sentence for most.

Actually sold Jordan from NFG his first Rancid shirt while helping my friend out at his record store. Saw the first show they played at Cheers in Miami... opening for AFI.
He went to high school with me. I’ll never forget when he called a kid “trendy” for wearing a Rancid shirt because they had videos on MTV at the time. The irony of the whole thing is great.

Advertisement
Ska was interesting as a genre because it basically reached its apex and then was over immediately. Much like its hardcore punk progenitors, there was little room for growth musically and therefore was short-lived. Nobody really emerged from it with a sustainable career (as in, receiving regular major-media play), and I wonder if that would be different if Brad Nowell didn't die or if Gwen Stefani didn't try to be Madonna.

I'm surprised at no mention of Goldfinger or No Doubt before Gwen Stefani became a massive sellout. Such a shame, she absolutely crushed it on Saw Red.
I saw Goldfinger for the first time in like 95-96. They opened for Bad Religion. I also saw Reel Big Fish at this little hole in the wall “Rosies” (i think?) I’m south beach in 96 too.

There’s been multiple waves of ska but I’m not versed enough in music history to give a lesson. There was a big movement in the late 90’s spearheaded by No Doubt and The Mighty Mighty Bosstones. A lot of those 90’s bands still tour and put out music but it’s just not mainstream popular like it was then. I’ve seen Less than Jake, Mustard Plug, Reel Big Fish, Voodoo Glow Skulls, Rancid and a few others at multiple different shows over the last five years or so.

The Interrupters have been getting some mainstream airplay and success recently and they’re a relatively newer band

He went to high school with me. I’ll never forget when he called a kid “trendy” for wearing a Rancid shirt because they had videos on MTV at the time. The irony of the whole thing is great.
He was a ****y kid...but wasn't bad...Ian(Bass player) was a cool kid...sarcastic as ****...I miss being part of the scene...now I'm old.

I saw Goldfinger for the first time in like 95-96. They opened for Bad Religion. I also saw Reel Big Fish at this little hole in the wall “Rosies” (i think?) I’m south beach in 96 too.

There’s been multiple waves of ska but I’m not versed enough in music history to give a lesson. There was a big movement in the late 90’s spearheaded by No Doubt and The Mighty Mighty Bosstones. A lot of those 90’s bands still tour and put out music but it’s just not mainstream popular like it was then. I’ve seen Less than Jake, Mustard Plug, Reel Big Fish, Voodoo Glow Skulls, Rancid and a few others at multiple different shows over the last five years or so.

The Interrupters have been getting some mainstream airplay and success recently and they’re a relatively newer band

I would disagree regarding "multiple waves of ska," unless you want to call The Clash ska (and hey, they were influential on the genre). That late 90's movement was basically it as far as making any mark on the main stream. No Doubt, Sublime and the Bosstones (or, rather Knock On Wood, precisely) were at the forefront and there were a ton of lesser-knowns. Yes, they still tour, but I don't know of anyone doing anything new in ska.

It's basically just punk rock with horns and a little reggae bass. You can't do all that much with it musically.

I've seen most of those bands (all it takes is going to Warped Tour once). Reel Big Fish were atrocious live. The two lead guys just chatted up inside jokes ad nauseam. Goldfinger put out some decent stuff, and Sublime could have been all-time greats had they lasted. Personally I'll stick with the hardcore punk that influenced ska over ska itself.

Advertisement
He was a ****y kid...but wasn't bad...Ian(Bass player) was a cool kid...sarcastic as ****...I miss being part of the scene...now I'm old.
He was actually a pretty funny dude. He transferred from Cooper City before senior year and I guess that’s how he met the other new found glory guys.

Saw Mustard Plug a few times...one time at respectable street in West Palm, my pants ripped from *** to knee...the merch guy let me borrow some duct tape, taped up my pants...danced and had fun for the rest of the time. good times.

I would disagree regarding "multiple waves of ska," unless you want to call The Clash ska (and hey, they were influential on the genre). That late 90's movement was basically it as far as making any mark on the main stream. No Doubt, Sublime and the Bosstones (or, rather Knock On Wood, precisely) were at the forefront and there were a ton of lesser-knowns. Yes, they still tour, but I don't know of anyone doing anything new in ska.

It's basically just punk rock with horns and a little reggae bass. You can't do all that much with it musically.

I've seen most of those bands (all it takes is going to Warped Tour once). Reel Big Fish were atrocious live. The two lead guys just chatted up inside jokes ad nauseam. Goldfinger put out some decent stuff, and Sublime could have been all-time greats had they lasted. Personally I'll stick with the hardcore punk that influenced ska over ska itself.
You’re only thinking of 3rd wave ska which took place in the 90’s. The original ska bands Far predated hardcore. 1st wave ska was primarily Jamaican bands in the early 1960’s. Reggae is actually an offshoot of ska.

Advertisement
You’re only thinking of 3rd wave ska which took place in the 90’s. The original ska bands Far predated hardcore. 1st wave ska was primarily Jamaican bands in the early 1960’s. Reggae is actually an offshoot of ska.
This. When Bob Marley was 18 he was part of the 1st wave.

The Worms was a fun band...Oscar Isaac played in the band. To be honest the most interesting part of that band wasn't him. The singer was struck by lightning twice.

Advertisement
Back