OT: Presidential Alerts today (I got this)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always find it funny when Americans can't believe people are hispanic or latino because they are white. Y'all realize that just like the United States, these islands and countries are filled with immigrants mainly from Spain, which is predominately white. It's a mixture of white europeans, native americans, and african american slaves.

I'm Puerto Rican and I'm as white as can be and so is about 15% of the island. Sure the majority is tan and what you guys would consider "Latino looking,"but there are a ton that look like your average Oklahomian white guy or your average African american. In my class of around 70 students alone we had 3 red heads, 8 blondes, and about 20 of the 70 students were as white as can be, that is normal.

For every Ricky Martin there is a JJ Barea.

Advertisement
It’s weird I don’t think Cubans really have a color I got shocked too when a couple my friends who were whiter than me were throwing down fluent Spanish.

100%. That is exactly what I was talking about. One time I went and asked some guy for directions in Miami, the guy looked like he was scottish or Irish or something like that(as white as possible without being albino), and the guy hits me with no hable ingles. I was literally shocked.

Ya I got that vibe from my Cuban friends in Miami as well. Even the style of dress is different. The Latinos in NY would dress in a similar fashion to black people(sagging pants, braids, backwards hats, etc.) where as the Cubans would dress a lot more preppy. That is just my observations I have noticed from living their for 4 years lol.
Good observations. Culturally there are differences... and everybody has an opinion as well. Complicated topic.

Advertisement
I took "Conversational Spanish" in junior high school in Miami in the early 60's. Even then there were confusing aspects of this... the teacher year 1 was Mrs. Gonzales, a Cuban. In year 2, Mrs. Ozete, a Spaniard. They taught different variations of pronunciation, and even some grammar differences...

...to those students who were confused and asked about it, they explained it was "Cuban Spanish" (one taught) versus "Castillian Spanish". In high school I worked in a hospital kitchen which was 80% Cuban, and sure enough, they spoke as Mrs. Gonzalez had taught. I still don't fully understand, and hope I'm not really supposed to! :)
I know some ****** people who are Sephardic Jews. That is, they were Jews who once lived in Spain and Portugal. They spoke a language called Ladino which was largely a type of Castilian Spanish. Once, a friend of mine from Israel, who was from Greece and from a Sephardic family, spoke a few words to a friend from Ecuador in Ladino. The Ecuadorian woman didn't know Ladino but was able to understand her. The Ecuadorian said the Ecuadorian Spanish she spoke was Castilian.

Advertisement
I know some ****** people who are Sephardic Jews. That is, they were Jews who once lived in Spain and Portugal. They spoke a language called Ladino which was largely a type of Castilian Spanish. Once, a friend of mine from Israel, who was from Greece and from a Sephardic family, spoke a few words to a friend from Ecuador in Ladino. The Ecuadorian woman didn't know Ladino but was able to understand her. The Ecuadorian said the Ecuadorian Spanish she spoke was Castilian.

We could blow some minds and add "Yiddish" to the discussion, but we are so far off topic, I can't see the Shore!

Can’t turn off alerts.
The alerts are huge. They’re the best alerts. The finest sounding alerts. Everyone loves the alerts.
The alerts got huge ratings. Everyone wants more alerts and can’t wait for the next one.
I will be selling the alerts to Mexico so it can pay for the wall.
North Korea wants to use my alerts as the official icbm warning alert even though no one in North Korea has cell phones.
When Mexico pays for the wall they should subrogate from Salvador and maybe Honduras because a lot of these immigrants are really from those countries and Mexico is just passing them through to the U.S.

We could blow some minds and add "Yiddish" to the discussion, but we are so far off topic, I can't see the Shore!
Much too complicated... recently read some interesting discussions for some YouTube videos of Yiddish origins. Interesting comments by native German, SwissDeutch, and Dutch speakers about similarity of Yiddidh to their languages. I believe there are some other languages which were ****** adaptations of Turkish, Farsi, and Arabic.

I cant believe I cant sleep because its FSU week, and I am actually reading about variants in ****** and Spanish language.

Why, just the other week, we were talking about the pitfalls of stripper dating and being an expert cheap booze drinker.

You guys are injecting culture into CIS. Stop it. xD

Advertisement
I don't think anyone here is saying that they are surprised when they see a light skinned latino. At least, I am not. Even some black people will have natural blonde or black hair. Some even have blue eyes. The point is that even the very light skinned puerto ricans like Barea still looks Latino. Where as some cubans really would pass as a european. Also, I am not sure if it just so happens that the majority of Cubans that move to Miami are the light skinned ones, but based off my observations the light skinned make up a lot more than 15% of the country. I know there are Cubans like Guillermo Rigondeaux who could pass as black, but I am purely talking about light skinned ones.
Not going to get to into all the history, but long story short the main reason the Cubans in America are whiter than the other islands is because they are the Spanish immigrants of Cuba. Before Castro and the wars Cuba was the richest island in the Caribbean many Spanish went and made some decent money. They are the biggest island and had the best natural resources. Because of this they had the highest percentage of Spanish immigrants (PR was second and DR last of the main 3) including the largest from the Spanish Canary islands because of their sugar cane resources. After the wars and Castro they were mainly the only ones that could afford to leave. On the other hand, the Puerto Rican’s in the Bronx that immigrated left because they were poor and had to, the opposite of the Cubans. For the most part they were jibaros or country folk, usually with little money to their name and mostly Taino. If you look now at the actual islands there are equal to more “white” people in Puerto Rico then in Cuba.

Btw I think Barea looks Latino to you because you know he is/ his accent. But I’ll give it to you, so I’ll change it: for every Francisco Lindor of the indians there is an Enrique Hernandez of the Dodgers

Advertisement
Not going to get to into all the history, but long story short the main reason the Cubans in America are whiter than the other islands is because they are the Spanish immigrants of Cuba. Before Castro and the wars Cuba was the richest island in the Caribbean many Spanish went and made some decent money. They are the biggest island and had the best natural resources. Because of this they had the highest percentage of Spanish immigrants (PR was second and DR last of the main 3) including the largest from the Spanish Canary islands because of their sugar cane resources. After the wars and Castro they were mainly the only ones that could afford to leave. On the other hand, the Puerto Rican’s in the Bronx that immigrated left because they were poor and had to, the opposite of the Cubans. For the most part they were jibaros or country folk, usually with little money to their name and mostly Taino. If you look now at the actual islands there are equal to more “white” people in Puerto Rico then in Cuba.

Btw I think Barea looks Latino to you because you know he is/ his accent. But I’ll give it to you, so I’ll change it: for every Francisco Lindor of the indians there is an Enrique Hernandez of the Dodgers

You got me with Enrique lol. As far as Barea I am from NYC so I know a ton of Dominicans and Puerto Ricans lol so I guess I have a good eye for guessing the race lol, but enrique is exactly what I was referring to before. Honestly, though. Are you saying that in Puerto Rico there is an equal amount of guys that look like Enrique versus guys like Francisco? I know there are guys from PR that look like that, but it just seems to me that Cuba has a much higher percentage of their immigrants looking like that. I guess what you are saying is most of the country folks(who where darker) left the country to come to the USA which is why most of the PRs here look less like white people then the cubans that immigrated. Makes sense. Thank you.

You got me with Enrique lol. As far as Barea I am from NYC so I know a ton of Dominicans and Puerto Ricans lol so I guess I have a good eye for guessing the race lol, but enrique is exactly what I was referring to before. Honestly, though. Are you saying that in Puerto Rico there is an equal amount of guys that look like Enrique versus guys like Francisco? I know there are guys from PR that look like that, but it just seems to me that Cuba has a much higher percentage of their immigrants looking like that. I guess what you are saying is most of the country folks(who where darker) left the country to come to the USA which is why most of the PRs here look less like white people then the cubans that immigrated. Makes sense. Thank you.
Nah like I said the vast majority of Puerto Rican’s are tan. Only like 15% are white and like 10% are black. PR is made up of Spanish (mostly white), the natives (tan), Africans (black) so with the mixing most just become a variation of tan or a Luis Fonsi Ricky Martin type.

But yea the whites I guess are closer to Barea then Hernandez since there are more dark hair/ eyes then blondes with light eyes although there are quite a bit. There is even a good amount of red heads, but obviously not as prevalent as in the states and some european countries.

Last edited:
Nah like I said the vast majority of Puerto Rican’s are tan. Only like 15% are white and like 10% are black. PR is made up of Spanish (mostly white), the natives (tan), Africans (black) so with the mixing most just become a variation of tan or a Luis Fonsi Ricky Martin type.

But yea the whites I guess are closer to Barea then Hernandez since there are more dark hair/ eyes and not that many blondes with light eyes although there are including myself.

Nah just when you said their is 1 enrieque for every rick martin I figured you meant 50% looked like ricky and 50% like enrique. We are on the same page. I know a ton of puerto ricans lol. They range from every different shade(but the funny thing is I have seen more real dark cubans than PRs). My point was just that it seems like the Cubans in Miami look a lot more white then the Ricans in the south bronx.

I always find it funny when Americans can't believe people are hispanic or latino because they are white. Y'all realize that just like the United States, these islands and countries are filled with immigrants mainly from Spain, which is predominately white. It's a mixture of white europeans, native americans, and african american slaves.

I'm Puerto Rican and I'm as white as can be and so is about 15% of the island. Sure the majority is tan and what you guys would consider "Latino looking,"but there are a ton that look like your average Oklahomian white guy or your average African american. In my class of around 70 students alone we had 3 red heads, 8 blondes, and about 20 of the 70 students were as white as can be, that is normal.

For every Ricky Martin there is a JJ Barea.
My mother was Spanish and myself, brother and sister were born in Spain. Sister blond with blue eyes, brother bluest eyes you can have, and people don't believe we are of Spanish decent!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back