OT: Presidential Alerts today (I got this)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Very nice Gatorhator, good stuff. I was writing my post at the same time you were... no conflict.

Interesting stuff and basically how I see it but these "indigenous groups" you are referring to probably came from somewhere else too. True that they were there before the arrival of European colonists, but It's not like they sprouted from the land like trees. All of humanity can probably point to a general region (perhaps the Fertile Crescent) as a basic starting point and the history of the different cultures and races are basically the history of migration patterns either by conquest or natural assimilation. But yes, the upshot of all this is that we are all related genetically and has been scientifically confirmed by discovery of "mitochondrial Eve".

Interesting stuff and basically how I see it but these "indigenous groups" you are referring to probably came from somewhere else too. True that they were there before the arrival of European colonists, but It's not like they sprouted from the land like trees. All of humanity can probably point to a general region (perhaps the Fertile Crescent) as a basic starting point and the history of the different cultures and races are basically the history of migration patterns either by conquest or natural assimilation. But yes, the upshot of all this is that we are all related genetically and has been scientifically confirmed by discovery of "mitochondrial Eve".

Yes... archeologists believe that the first humans left west Africa around 100,000 years ago, though new fossils show it may have been much earlier.
Genetics reveals that we all contain early human genes and also Neanderthal genes as well. They also say that North America was populated by "Indians" crossing the Bering Straights some 10,000 years ago. Which means that skin tone really doesn't mean Jack in the whole scheme of things.

Advertisement
Yes... archeologists believe that the first humans left west Africa around 100,000 years ago, though new fossils show it may have been much earlier.
Genetics reveals that we all contain early human genes and also Neanderthal genes as well. They also say that North America was populated by "Indians" crossing the Bering Straights some 10,000 years ago. Which means that skin tone really doesn't mean Jack in the whole scheme of things.

I recall doing a paper in college and researched this stuff. Thing that stuck with me is that the so-called races of man are just arbitrary constructs due to our penchant for categorizing and classifying. In reality all our physical differences are just basically a function of gene pools and geography. There was probably a time long ago when humans looked pretty much the same when they were closer in geographical proximity to each other and not so spread out and isolated. Aborigines are probably an extreme example of what happens as a group of people become geographically isolated and the gene pool becomes too homogenous.

I recall doing a paper in college and researched this stuff. Thing that stuck with me is that the so-called races of man are just arbitrary constructs due to our penchant for categorizing and classifying. In reality all our physical differences are just basically a function of gene pools and geography. There was probably a time long ago when humans looked pretty much the same when they were closer in geographical proximity to each other and not so spread out and isolated. Aborigines are probably an extreme example of what happens as a group of people become geographically isolated and the gene pool becomes too homogenous.
Aborigines are an old linage from Africa that crossed into Australia with the help of an ice age. "White" people came from England much later.... lmao

Advertisement

Good stuff guys. Also shows how low fsu has sunk that we are chatting about this on Thursday of FSU week. Let's not forget the oldest history book in existence. As noted, science has finally established that Genius got the whole Eva thing correct that we all come from one mother. Adds some credibility to what is frequently dismissed by many. That being so, what about the wild tale of the Towel of Babel? Science hasn't proven it yet but it is still the oldest documented explanation of diversity.

The Pangaea thing intrigues me. From what I understand, North American and South America broke off from different parts of the super continent. That could explain the fairly clear difference between the "native" American Indians and those in Central America and even Mexico. If the American Indians came over the land bridge, the rest might have arrived on their respective land masses, including perhaps the islands.

For the negative nancies that negged me with no sense of humor, I know it's a touchy subject but ****!!! Is this better for you 🤔😁View attachment 65556
He must have grabbed yours and not called the next day. Here’s the one I got. Didn’t sue anyone though.
30EF9FFB-5359-48A8-8455-FD85B5765C1D.jpeg

@Wildnation I didn't know I was here to entertain you... so you think I'm boring. I'll be waiting for your killer posts in the future.

History and politically ideological talking points don’t go together. **** of a lot more to that and you’re dismissing it purposely or through ignorance. It doesn’t get a dismissive vote down but that’s not only inaccurate, it’s a grenade and the board ain’t the place for it.

Ah, you were doing so well. your initial post was thoughtful and included information most are unaware of. Then you just have to slip in some sort of insult, although at least if was a little more by implication that gruntking either deceitful or, with less implication, just ignorant. Incomplete is not inaccurate unless one is purporting some sort of comprehensive study. Our friend's statement was true even if incomplete. Granted he left out the native Ciboney but even you mentioned only the more dominant Taino tribe in your earlier post. You have good info so I do not understand your need to attack people.

By the way, my wife and I were in Havana this summer. The tour guide made an interesting point. He said Cuba now imports most of its food because they can't get people to work the fields. I guess it makes sense since Castro's revolution was supported mostly by field workers. Maybe they just didn't want to work in the frigging fields any more. Reminds me of an old song after WW l, I thin. Referring to American troops, it went something like, "How you going to keep them back on the farm after they see Paris"

Now for serious consideration. Advise for drink of choice on Saturday: MacCallan Scotch, Woodford Reserve Bourbon, or given this discussion, some Patron for cultural appropriation or just a nice bottle of Havana Club rum from the stockpile we brought back. It is FSU but how much are they worth right now?

Advertisement
Good stuff guys. Also shows how low fsu has sunk that we are chatting about this on Thursday of FSU week. Let's not forget the oldest history book in existence. As noted, science has finally established that Genius got the whole Eva thing correct that we all come from one mother. Adds some credibility to what is frequently dismissed by many. That being so, what about the wild tale of the Towel of Babel? Science hasn't proven it yet but it is still the oldest documented explanation of diversity.

The Pangaea thing intrigues me. From what I understand, North American and South America broke off from different parts of the super continent. That could explain the fairly clear difference between the "native" American Indians and those in Central America and even Mexico. If the American Indians came over the land bridge, the rest might have arrived on their respective land masses, including perhaps the islands.

well if you want to get the Babel story in the mix, may as well include the Flood story. The flood story is almost universal among cultures around the world in one form or another. Might help explain the Cambrian fossil record as well as the current geographical features of our planet including division of the continents.

I don't believe they are going to be a regular. Jesus Christ... I've gotten woken up on a weekend morning after partying all night from an Amber Alert for a car traveling 300 miles away.

There is only one proper name that has been known to be widely used as a cuss word: “Jesus Christ.” The ancient Romans did not use the name of any Caesar as a swear word, Buddhists don’t swear using the name of Buddha, and Muslims don’t swear using the name of Mohammad. But people of many cultures and languages swear using the name of Jesus Christ. The Devil hates Jesus, so he works hard to introduce his name into society as a cuss word. You can travel around the world today and hear “Jesus Christ” or some variation of it being used as a swear word in many different countries, but Christians should have no part of that.

Ephesians 5:4 REV and Commentary - and there must not be obscenity and foolish talking, nor crude joking, which are not fitti - Bible verse

There is only one proper name that has been known to be widely used as a cuss word: “Jesus Christ.” The ancient Romans did not use the name of any Caesar as a swear word, Buddhists don’t swear using the name of Buddha, and Muslims don’t swear using the name of Mohammad. But people of many cultures and languages swear using the name of Jesus Christ. The Devil hates Jesus, so he works hard to introduce his name into society as a cuss word. You can travel around the world today and hear “Jesus Christ” or some variation of it being used as a swear word in many different countries, but Christians should have no part of that.

Ephesians 5:4 REV and Commentary - and there must not be obscenity and foolish talking, nor crude joking, which are not fitti - Bible verse
My bad...

Advertisement
well if you want to get the Babel story in the mix, may as well include the Flood story. The flood story is almost universal among cultures around the world in one form or another. Might help explain the Cambrian fossil record as well as the current geographical features of our planet including division of the continents.

Good point. I saw something that archaeologists say that there is evidence of two separate migrations out of the middle east. One, the oldest, is homogeneous and the second, more recent, is very diverse. That would fit the flood wiping out most life and then Babel causing diversity later. I do not require science to confirm my Faith, but it is interesting when it does.

This is a topic fraught with political land mines but … you’re right: Cubans in Miami tend to be more “white” (European) while Puerto Rican’s in NY tend to be more Taino/“European”/African.

I was in Cuba for the first time during the “Special Period” (basically, the time after the fall of the Soviet Union when Cuba’s support was cut off; Cubans were starving) and I was educated, by my eyes, to a population that was easily more than 50% black - or what would easily be described as “black” in the US, Jamaica, Bahamas or even Nigeria.

I read about this previously (also an example in Brazil…) but you can find a citation in Wikipedia where University of Miami went to Cuba and determined that 62% of the Cuban population was “black”, yet Cuba did a census in the 90’s/00’s (I think) where Cubans self-identified, which described 62% of the population as “white”.

Very interesting. Thanks for the info.

Good morning OGH... a little history to add this morning. In 1959 when Castro took over, was the beginning of the Cuban exodus out of the island. The over one million that left Cuba through out the early years were mostly the light skinned Cubans who were professionals or business owners. The poorer folks bought into the redistribution of wealth promise, and so goes the history of Cuba thereafter. Also keep in mind that after Columbus came to the West Indies in 1492, Havana was the largest colony/port for Spain in the region. Florida was under Spanish control for 250 years until 1763, but Havana continued to be Spain's main strong hold. Hence Cubans were somewhat different racially/culturally than other Hispanic countries.

Thanks! That makes sense. So basically my earlier assumption was incorrect because the sample that I was basing my assumption off of was skewed since the majority of the cubans who came here happened to be of the light skinned variety. Very interesting regarding Columbus. That means Cuba had a lot more contact with the europeans than the other latinos.

Ah, you were doing so well. your initial post was thoughtful and included information most are unaware of. Then you just have to slip in some sort of insult, although at least if was a little more by implication that gruntking either deceitful or, with less implication, just ignorant. Incomplete is not inaccurate unless one is purporting some sort of comprehensive study. Our friend's statement was true even if incomplete. Granted he left out the native Ciboney but even you mentioned only the more dominant Taino tribe in your earlier post. You have good info so I do not understand your need to attack people.

By the way, my wife and I were in Havana this summer. The tour guide made an interesting point. He said Cuba now imports most of its food because they can't get people to work the fields. I guess it makes sense since Castro's revolution was supported mostly by field workers. Maybe they just didn't want to work in the frigging fields any more. Reminds me of an old song after WW l, I thin. Referring to American troops, it went something like, "How you going to keep them back on the farm after they see Paris"

Now for serious consideration. Advise for drink of choice on Saturday: MacCallan Scotch, Woodford Reserve Bourbon, or given this discussion, some Patron for cultural appropriation or just a nice bottle of Havana Club rum from the stockpile we brought back. It is FSU but how much are they worth right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back