OT: Duffy's

I actually work for the guy who started Duffy’s originally and sold it to Emmett when they got to 5 locations, he owns a restaurant up in Jupiter called Old FL bar and Grill and also owns blackpoint ocean grill in cutler bay....2 major rumors circulating in the biz right now, they owe Sysco 6 million dollars and thus haven’t worked out plan with their main contracted supplier and as someone else said that millers ale house has purchased them to cherry pick the best locations and sell of the other assets
I love old fla. Always get the cracked conch because a lot of places don’t have it.

Advertisement
sunset and 117 ... did you ever hit up Shibui for sushi?

Shibui was always solid. That's right by the original Sports Grill. Unfortunately, I think SG has dropped off a lot. Their wings aren't the same anymore.

I hit up Hole in the Wall in Kings Creek for wings now. MUCH better, and QB7 Craig Erickson is one of the owners.

I hate to break it to you, but the original Duffy's hasn't been a Duffy's for years. It's a bad location right next to the railroad tracks with limited parking and is now the Pirate's Well. But at least they're still open.

You had me scared for a second because I haven't been in a couple years, but it seems like Duffy's Tavern near UM is alive and well... https://www.duffystavernmiami.com. What Duffy's are you talking about??

Advertisement
You had me scared for a second because I haven't been in a couple years, but it seems like Duffy's Tavern near UM is alive and well... https://www.duffystavernmiami.com. What Duffy's are you talking about??
The chain of Duffy's Sports Grills.

I had a convo with a guy very high up with Duffys just yesterday and he swears it’s all bull**** started by their competitors. They got a nice PPP loan and the current environment is not a model they want open in just to burn through their loan. Who knows if it’s true?

Last edited:
I have heard similar rumors. I have a family friend who worked for Chaney for years and he told me the owners of Duffy’s had a propensity for maxing out their credit and then renegotiating their terms with the promise of opening new locations that would buy “x” amount of product. Almost like a restaurant ponzi scheme. Eventually you run out of credit though.
Stupidest Sh*t...

Advertisement
We 100% have the best cracked conch you will get stateside, I can state that as fact! I sell more conch than anyone around my purveyors struggle to keep up at times
I will have to try that. Usually its rubbery everywhere else.

@Coach Macho you know if Flanigan's has any plans of expanding outside FL ??

No. They don't even want to leave the tri-county area. Their head guys always felt it would be hard to control quality if they branched further out. (and I agree)

As it is right now, Jimmy Flanigan and the other higher-ups can (and do) pop-in to various stores periodically. They're known for just showing up. I've actually seen Jimmy Flanigan walk into a store and put his name on the wait list. The **** owner of the company on a wait list for a table. Dude is humble like that. I've also seen him sit at the bar, completely incognito.

They prefer to keep their stores within easy driving distance so that they can pop-in at any time. And they do, a lot. The employees will tell you that.

Trust me, I begged them to open a location on the West Coast of FLA when I was living over there. It would've been a smash hit IMO.

Advertisement
No. They don't even want to leave the tri-county area. Their head guys always felt it would be hard to control quality if they branched further out. (and I agree)

As it is right now, Jimmy Flanigan and the other higher-ups can (and do) pop-in to various stores periodically. They're known for just showing up. I've actually seen Jimmy Flanigan walk into a store and put his name on the wait list. The **** owner of the company on a wait list for a table. Dude is humble like that. I've also seen him sit at the bar, completely incognito.

They prefer to keep their stores within easy driving distance so that they can pop-in at any time. And they do, a lot. The employees will tell you that.

Trust me, I begged them to open a location on the West Coast of FLA when I was living over there. It would've been a smash hit IMO.
There's one in Stuart and not another one until you get to West Palm. I'm sure there's a story about how Stuart came to exist.

I had a convo with a guy very high up with Duffys just yesterday and he swears it’s all bull**** started by their competitors. They got a nice PPP loan and the current environment is not a model they want open in just to burn through they’re loan. Who knows if it’s true?
One of the parameters of the PPP loan was that a majority of it had to be used for payroll. So if that’s the case, they’re paying their employees to stay home.

ANYTIME you franchise a restaurant, the quality goes down atleast a small amount. The original owner/owners and originators wouldn't be able to be at all Locations throughout the day/week/month, regardless of how well your managers/understudies were trained...(and if their as Nit-Picky as my *** is, they'd want to be at ALL of them 24/7

Advertisement
Don't think I've ever been to a Duffy's. I've always tried my hardest to drink and eat at locally owned sports bars and restaurants.

Hole in the wall and Sports Grill are my go to places.

As a business owner myself, I marvel at how well their people are trained and repeat the company line verbatim, every time. Go to any one of their places and every employee does the same exact speech about drink deals, dinner specials and that dessert ****tails, all off whic are big money makers for them.

Well run organization.

Shibui was always solid. That's right by the original Sports Grill. Unfortunately, I think SG has dropped off a lot. Their wings aren't the same anymore.

I hit up Hole in the Wall in Kings Creek for wings now. MUCH better, and QB7 Craig Erickson is one of the owners.
Keg south on 104 st and US1 has the best wings

thanks for the reply! Fascinating info and not surprising at all. There's a reason they dominated.

haha god**** - I'm all the way in NJ hoping there was a chance like a fool.

Flanigan's would be a smash anywhere in FL no doubt. Not sure about other states, though if done right I don't see why not.

Advertisement
Back