OT: Duffy's

Advertisement
As Mark Twain once said ... The rumors of my (Duffy’s) death have been greatly exaggerated.

Per below. It looks they are reopening....

We will begin re-opening our restaurants July 1st, with the majority open by the end of July. After careful consideration of local mandates and CDC guidance across all Duffy's locations and out of an abundance of caution, we have taken this time to leave no stone unturned to ensure the safety and quality of service to the standard we are known for as we plan to re-open. The first phase of openings will include locations such as Jupiter West, North Miami Beach, Cape Coral, Superplay and PGA.

We want to thank all of you for your patience, dedication and support during this time. We are very excited to begin reopening locations and cannot wait to welcome everyone back to Duffy's. Health-safety and quality of service have always been our top priority and we are coming back better than ever!

Duffy's is known for its award-winning wings, burgers and genuine hospitality. In the wake of the limited sports programming and bar service due to regulations, we have turned these circumstances into an opportunity to adapt and enhance the guest experience. New measures include expanded outdoor seating options, streamlined kitchen to table service and a revamped Curbside Takeout and Delivery program to cater to those who prefer to enjoy Duffy’s from the comfort of their home or office.

We have also taken steps in the development and training of additional health safeguards to ensure the confidence and safety of all of our Team Players and our guests. These measures include:

• Daily health screenings of all Team Players
  • Additional Team Player health and safety training
  • Providing facemasks and gloves for all Team Players
  • Sanitizing stations at the entrance and throughout the restaurant
  • Limiting dine-in capacity and expanding outdoor patio seating options
  • Maintaining social distancing practices between parties
  • Single-use and contactless menus
  • Disinfecting high touch surfaces continually
  • Offering contactless curbside pickup for to-go orders
  • Always ensuring compliance with CDC and local mandates
With locations spread over numerous counties that have varying local mandates, Duffy's is investing extra time to ensure each store receives the support needed to open safely and responsibly.

Opening responsibly also includes sustainability. We are looking to the future by taking the steps now needed to keep our doors open and our Team Members employed so we can continue to serve our communities the best wings, best burgers and best happy hours!

If you have any questions or just want to say hello, reach out to us at MVPcard@duffysmvp.com.

We can’t wait to welcome you back!

Joe Webb

President
Duffy's Sports Grill

Looks like they got some of that sweeeet PPP cash. One of the largest South Florida recipients.

20200706_230851.jpg

Some really interesting names there. Also, If Duffy's got all that cash, shouldnt they have paid their employees all of this time? I know a few, and they have not been paid.

Advertisement
If Duffy's got all that cash, shouldnt they have paid their employees all of this time? I know a few, and they have not been paid.

This is a problem with service industry workers everywhere. One of the most popular bar/restaurant circles in Orlando, (who I wont name bc my woman is still technically employed by them but they own about 7 different spots around the city and downtown) used their large employee base as leverage to lobby the government for their share of bailout money. Once they got it, ownership hoarded it all. After a month with no income, the employees started asking questions, to which they were given the runaround, citing building rents and utilities. Which is understandable, but whenever the roles are reversed, its, "Maybe they should've spent less on coffee and avocado toast."

The choice given to most servers and bartenders to either hastily go back to work in the same exact conditions, or not at all was looked at as ownership doing them a favor. At two or three of their locations in particular, so many employees got sick within a month that they had to close down due to lack of healthy employees to work.

Most restaurant and bar owners treat their employees like a permanent slave class anyway, so none of it is surprising and basically a sad state of affairs in the US.

This is a problem with service industry workers everywhere. One of the most popular bar/restaurant circles in Orlando, (who I wont name bc my woman is still technically employed by them but they own about 7 different spots around the city and downtown) used their large employee base as leverage to lobby the government for their share of bailout money. Once they got it, ownership hoarded it all. After a month with no income, the employees started asking questions, to which they were given the runaround, citing building rents and utilities. Which is understandable, but whenever the roles are reversed, its, "Maybe they should've spent less on coffee and avocado toast."

The choice given to most servers and bartenders to either hastily go back to work in the same exact conditions, or not at all was looked at as ownership doing them a favor. At two or three of their locations in particular, so many employees got sick within a month that they had to close down due to lack of healthy employees to work.

Most restaurant and bar owners treat their employees like a permanent slave class anyway, so none of it is surprising and basically a sad state of affairs in the US.
100% Spot on...and I bet I can name the restaurant/s you referred to...The restaurant industry has been hurting for sometime...(Virus or not)....Nothing like it was from the time I left Culinary school in 81...until the late 90s...The field is, and has been inundated with Culinary Grads the past 25yrs...Culinary schools are nothing more than Paper Mills...and as much as I hate to say it...a waste of $$$$...Dont get me wrong..there are still Top Notch establishments around, but far fewer than there used to be...

That's all COO Augie Bucci's business model. He's a stickler about that and he's the main one that randomly pops into the stores. All the employees I've talked to have met him at some point.

Most people don't know this but Flanigans was originally Big Daddy's...a famous nightclub chain. They had over 32 clubs across the United States and South America.
Joe Flanigan (Big Daddy) hired Augie Bucci and my father ("Johnny Grapevine") to provide the bands/entertainment. When disco hit and live music went to the wayside, their nightclubs started to take a hit. One of the brothers opened up a restaurant in Pompano Beach (the original Flanigans) and to their surprise it was a hit. That's when Joe Flanigan and Augie Bucci decided to remold their Big Daddy/Flanigans brand into a restaurant chain. And here we are.

YEah I know, cool story bro.
I think it was a liquor store too. As a kid I remember there was a Big Daddy’s in Surfside and then it either became Flanigans or it was half and half.

Advertisement
I think it was a liquor store too. As a kid I remember there was a Big Daddy’s in Surfside and then it either became Flanigans or it was half and half.
Lots of Flanigans have an attached “Big Daddy’s” liquor store. The one in Pines (maybe Davie) on university that burned down had a liquor store. You’d get coupons for booze when you bought food from the restaurant.

And that’s why I hate tipping although I do it because “that’s what you’re suppose to do” and I understand that’s how they get paid. I would rather pay the higher price for the food in exchange for the restaurants paying their employees what their worth.

Preach. The service in the Gables location couldn't have been worse and I still was a loyal customer for games. Some spicy zingers and 8 hours of football. It's the little things.

I told someone this the other day. As the economy shrinks, the demand for the dollar will become greater. Only restaurants with great food and/or service will survive.

Advertisement
Ironically, it was the Duffy’s on 163rd and the intracoastal that put the North Miami Beach Alehouse our of business. I feel bad for the employees. Food was mediocre at best but I hate to see people out of work.

How can you compete with a pool and the atmosphere of that duffys? Lol

I can only imagine. It's an absolute disgrace that hospitality/culinary/nightlife workers (especially in a state like Florida) won't have a bigger voice in opposing the ending of that $600 unemployment supplement too. I'm definitely not trying to get political here but I just saw Larry Kudlow on tv parroting the nonsense that it's disincentivizing people in actually returning to work. And that doesn't even count the people that have given up unemployment to return to those jobs (if they're even still there) but at a fraction of their previous salary/tips.

All the while we hide the identities of businesses and the amounts of the federal taxpayer funded Coronavirus loans/bailouts.
To say nothing of the out-of-work strippers.

Advertisement
Prato is good...but when I go out to eat with my GF (And I'm a picky MFer) there's a good chance we go to the Ravishing Pig...Ive known the owners for 10yrs...Kevin and his wife ain't no joke...Good stuff...

Ravishing pig is flame. I like the low country boil at cask and larder too

Advertisement
Back