OT - 5 star basketball recruit chooses Howard (HBCU) over UCLA

Advertisement
Ask and ye shall receive.

Over the last 6-7 weeks...in the midst of all the racial friction in America, there has been a loud drumbeat and recurring theme in the black community and all over social media to push this next generation of black athletes in a new direction (and folks are starting to listen). And that theme that’s gaining traction is this:

“White people and many of these institutions have dehumanized you (past and present), don’t really care about you or your community, and as the last 400 years have shown, will own feign interest only if they’re able to get something out of it. So, why kowtow and bring those institutions and stakeholders (coaches, etc) generational wealth off your talents, when you can go to HBCUs to boost your own community with your physical and intellectual gifts (along with the money your talent will bring), while be around people that actually gives a **** about you, your well-being, your community, and things you stand for even if you don’t go pro”.

That, right there, is called a non-zero-sum game. It’s a win for the athlete, a win for the community and a win for the institution.

Since this drumbeat began, Mike Williams the #1 recruit in 2023 announced his desire to attend an HBCU, and now Maker actually pulled the trigger, all within that 6 week window. I think this is just the beginning, and we’re going to see a lot of movement in this direction over the next 10-15 years.

You can call the timing a coincidence or brush it off as “non-bonding agreement” that means diddly squat, but I call that “evidence”. So, to recap, in 6 weeks, the #1 overall recruit in 2023 states he wants to attend and HBCU and called for others to consider it, and now today, a 5 star recruit signed with an HBCU and called for others to do the same.

Hope that clears things up! Now, let me get back to my beer.

Asked, still waiting. An opinion piece, a non-binding "commitment", and a vague current intention relative to what a kid might do in a couple years.

Add "evidence" to the list of definitions you can work on as you enjoy that beer.

Advertisement
With people getting used to a life without sports during COVID, I’m not sure they’ll have the power they once had.
Wait until you see the ratings before you say that.

I see it happening more with basketball than football though since they can “donate” one year to an HBCU whereas football I don’t see a football player sacrificing three years for a school.

Mikey Williams wanted to be the first. The only way this works is if somebody like Mikey Williams or Zion or Lebron did this. Nobody cares about a Maker truthfully.

I hope he sticks to his commitment though, and Howard is a good school so hopefully he actually does some schooling as well.

Probably using the extra money the President has sent HBCUs to up their bag game....
[/QUOTkeep that bag talk **** to football, these basketball kids are only in college for 4 or 5months,, they don't need a low-level so-called bag when they can get more money overseas, or in the g-league times are changing, this has nothing to do with that ***** *** man that's in office.

Last edited:
Let me preface this by saying I have no idea what's in this kid's head or heart but from a PURELY marketing standpoint (and specific to him) this could end being a very smart move- especially in the current societal climate.

This kid spurns the big boys, goes the HBCU route, is active publicly on the social justice front AND gets drafted high? He'll have his pick of shoe endorsements and manyyyyy other $$$.

1000000% This is a way savvier biz decision than being another Dookie or Wildcat. Will be countless feature articles about him choosing a HBCU and Nike/Reebok/Adidas will try to capitalize on his social justice angle. I'm not being cynical about it, at the end of the day, its about making that $$$ and this is the better move.

Advertisement
Well, Bonnie James has NC Central in the lead. LeBron's son is considering a HBCU as well according to spun.

I wanted to make an OT about it, but decided to post in here.
Also, its spun.

The majority of black top football AND basketball athletes should start going to HBCU’s. That conversation has been gaining momentum in the black community over the last couple months, and I think it will be a good move...a win-win

Could be a good thing, but will likely end up like most things. Adults profiteering off of young men much the same as they do now. Corruption knows no color.

Advertisement
The big boys just got into his recruitment. If he's that good? It's not going down that easily, imo.
It was really Howard vs UCLA as UK let him keep their name on his recruitment but the second they got Sarr they didn't need nor want him anymore.

It was really Howard vs UCLA as UK let him keep their name on his recruitment but the second they got Sarr they didn't need nor want him anymore.
Thanks for the info. Now my question is if he's so good why did the big dogs drop him?

Advertisement
In basketball, more than any other sport, does this make sense. A great player can make a massive difference to a basketball team, but a great football player won't have the same kind of impact to a small football team. You take a guy that could be drafted already and throw him on a small school team and he will absolutely dominate. It's not like NBA teams will complain about his competition, because they darn sure don't care about that when drafting kids out of high school.

White students & student/athletes have NEVER been barred from attending HBCUs. Why is it such an abhorrent idea that some of our best athletes attend our schools??? I'm waiting for an answer. I personally believe the same people would also be up in arms if the majority of talented white kids played for HBCUs...

...but are there specific programs setup to recruit white players or coaches? Are there inclusive and diversity training about going to school with diverse people?
Cant have it both ways

...but are there specific programs setup to recruit white players or coaches? Are there inclusive and diversity training about going to school with diverse people?
Cant have it both ways
Please inform me of any specific programs setup to recruit black players at any white institutions. I have no knowledge of their existence. Now if you mean are there any specific programs setup to recruit white students, then yes. Just like white schools have them to recruit those who are considered "minorities" relative to their demographics, so do HBCUs. As far as coaches are concerned, they are subject to whatever inclusive and diversity training guidelines established by the governing athletic association(NCAA, NAIA, etc.)to whom they belong, just like any other school. There have been and there are white coaches at HBCUs, it's not a big deal at all. I like how you responded to my post by posing a question of your own(I'm not gonna say how I feel about your question, that's not important)while failing to answer my question. So I'll ask you directly, do you think it's an abhorrent idea if some of our very talented student/athletes attend & compete for our schools?

Advertisement
Back