OT - 5 star basketball recruit chooses Howard (HBCU) over UCLA

You're right. Had a late night brain fart and was thinking TSU, which isn't actually in the MEAC if I recall.

And you can definitely get laid at any school. But they hitting different at the HBCU's, ijs.

Naw TSU is in another conference.
Pretty good program, offered me out of high school...and has put guys in the league every other year or so.

Hampton left the MEAC for the same conference i think TSU is in. Hampton's qb last year was Francois the great from FSU.lol

Advertisement
My version of a perfect world. You know what to do if you don't like it...
cheer for my favorite team to not lose half of its games against in state competition is something I would do for a start. whichever team that is for you.

Most of those HBCU HOFers played in an era in which black student athletes HAD NO CHOICE in regards to choosing a school. A lot of the HBCU glory days happened in an era where freedom of choice was nonexistent. While you still have a ton of schools that aren't enlightened, you also have a lot that do foster welcoming environments for all, and fully expect that their student body reflects this country.

Yes, Walter Payton and Jerry Rice played at HBCUs. The problem is that Payton and Rice are decades away from their HBCU playing days. Yes, you have Steve McNair and Michael Strahan, but they are few and far between. When one looks at other FCS conferences, HBCUs are not developing talent at the same level, and they have ready access to far more local talent than the typical FCS powerhouse.
Are HBCUs not developing talent or are they not getting high end talent? This board often have the debate of UM not developing talent and others chime in with the talent evaluation argument. Well most HBCUs can’t even join the discussion because they get to pick what’s left after all the big and mid level programs get players. You even have kids that would prefer to walk on at FSU than be on scholarship at FAMU because of name recognition. I’m saying you can’t judge how well they develop NFL talent until they bring talent on campus. It’s funny that when HBCUs were producing NFL players at a high level the football programs were still underfunded and lack resources yet they put MANY kids in the NFL because the talent was there.

Advertisement
Are HBCUs not developing talent or are they not getting high end talent? This board often have the debate of UM not developing talent and others chime in with the talent evaluation argument. Well most HBCUs can’t even join the discussion because they get to pick what’s left after all the big and mid level programs get players. You even have kids that would prefer to walk on at FSU than be on scholarship at FAMU because of name recognition. I’m saying you can’t judge how well they develop NFL talent until they bring talent on campus. It’s funny that when HBCUs were producing NFL players at a high level the football programs were still underfunded and lack resources yet they put MANY kids in the NFL because the talent was there.

They aren't developing talent, period. They get ROLLED by **** near every decent FCS school they face. You really think a school like South Dakota State or Richmond are getting a bevy of 4 and 5 stars? Nope, but they are well coached, well managed and it shows on gameday. The last HBCU to win an FCS National Championship was FAMU in 1978. Think that over.

Again, the HBCUs were producing talent back in the day because they didn't have to compete with anyone in regards to landing said talent. Yes, some HBCUs hit on unique talents that have been overlooked today, but we have seen time and time again that these programs don't have the financial resources nor the will to truly compete in FCS. Hence why they started the Celebration Bowl. They got tired of getting their crap pushed in during the FCS Playoffs.

Big move and I think this is the first domino. I believe we are about to see a seismic shift in college sports over the next 10-15 years.

Hope so.

They aren't developing talent, period. They get ROLLED by **** near every decent FCS school they face. You really think a school like South Dakota State or Richmond are getting a bevy of 4 and 5 stars? Nope, but they are well coached, well managed and it shows on gameday. The last HBCU to win an FCS National Championship was FAMU in 1978. Think that over.

Again, the HBCUs were producing talent back in the day because they didn't have to compete with anyone in regards to landing said talent. Yes, some HBCUs hit on unique talents that have been overlooked today, but we have seen time and time again that these programs don't have the financial resources nor the will to truly compete in FCS. Hence why they started the Celebration Bowl. They got tired of getting their crap pushed in during the FCS Playoffs.
Famu went 8-1 vs fcs schools. I said they aren’t getting talent and you seem to agree. Even looking at FCS recruiting rankings only 4 HBCUs are in the top 50. Again how are you determining that they are not developing talent? My point is they are not getting talent but when they were they were sending kids to the NFL. Yes after segregation they were sending kids to the NFL. Talent was still coming to HBCUs for a while. Look at HBCU draft picks from 1970-1999. Then compare it to 2000-2020. What you think happened? The talented kids stopped coming to HBCUs. I’m not here to argue why they stopped coming I’m saying it’s hard to judge if they are developing talent when they are getting what’s left after EVERY OTHER PROGRAM take the top talent.

Advertisement
Famu went 8-1 vs fcs schools. I said they aren’t getting talent and you seem to agree. Even looking at FCS recruiting rankings only 4 HBCUs are in the top 50. Again how are you determining that they are not developing talent? My point is they are not getting talent but when they were they were sending kids to the NFL. Yes after segregation they were sending kids to the NFL. Talent was still coming to HBCUs for a while. Look at HBCU draft picks from 1970-1999. Then compare it to 2000-2020. What you think happened? The talented kids stopped coming to HBCUs. I’m not here to argue why they stopped coming I’m saying it’s hard to judge if they are developing talent when they are getting what’s left after EVERY OTHER PROGRAM take the top talent.

Which FCS schools did FAMU play? Exactly. Them beating up on schools that are for the most part lower tier schools doesn't prove anything. Let's look at what happens when decent, playoff quality schools face HBCUs. Oh, that's right, it's **** near a cause for celebration when an HBCU manages to win.

No HBCU has won the FCS title since Jimmy Carter was POTUS. In fact, no HBCU has even appeared in the FCS Title Game since then. HBCUs have done a **** poor job of recruiting, they are getting outrecruited by placed like South Dakota and Montana. Let that settle in. Are you telling me that the typical HBCU has less to offer athletes than freaking Montana? No, but it's become obvious that a lot of HBCUs have no sales pitch besides "We're Black, you're Black too". It's a tradition borne of institutional laziness and arrogance. Guess what? HBCUs have to work for recruits now, they can't depend on the system to drop kids in their lap. The excuses you listed(and they are excuses) just don't cut it. How can you be in the some of the deepest, most talent rich places in the country and NOT be able to recruit whatsoever? You have JUCOs that recruit better than some of these HBCUs.

Even with the kids they do get, I don't see the kind of growth that you see at places like SDSU or JMU. Weight training isn't nearly as extensive, money isn't being spent on additional coaching and support staff.

Which FCS schools did FAMU play? Exactly. Them beating up on schools that are for the most part lower tier schools doesn't prove anything. Let's look at what happens when decent, playoff quality schools face HBCUs. Oh, that's right, it's **** near a cause for celebration when an HBCU manages to win.

No HBCU has won the FCS title since Jimmy Carter was POTUS. In fact, no HBCU has even appeared in the FCS Title Game since then. HBCUs have done a **** poor job of recruiting, they are getting outrecruited by placed like South Dakota and Montana. Let that settle in. Are you telling me that the typical HBCU has less to offer athletes than freaking Montana? No, but it's become obvious that a lot of HBCUs have no sales pitch besides "We're Black, you're Black too". It's a tradition borne of institutional laziness and arrogance. Guess what? HBCUs have to work for recruits now, they can't depend on the system to drop kids in their lap. The excuses you listed(and they are excuses) just don't cut it. How can you be in the some of the deepest, most talent rich places in the country and NOT be able to recruit whatsoever? You have JUCOs that recruit better than some of these HBCUs.

Even with the kids they do get, I don't see the kind of growth that you see at places like SDSU or JMU. Weight training isn't nearly as extensive, money isn't being spent on additional coaching and support staff.
Look man I’m not arguing with you. I’m saying they are NOT getting talent anymore and you are saying WHY you think they are not getting talent anymore. That’s fine. I just don’t agree with your statement about not developing talent when we both said they not getting talent. You just said they’re being out recruited by South Dakota and juco programs.. If that’s true it would only further support the argument that they’re not getting talent. What we know for certain is when they were getting talent, regardless of why/how, they put kids in the nfl.

ALL BLACKS ATHLETES CAN'T GO TO THE HBCUS BECAUSE IT'S LITERALLY NOT ENOUGH ROOM..... NOTHING WRONG WITH THEM AT LEAST EXPLORING THE OPTION IT'S NEEDED I HOPE MANY OF THEM START CHOOSING THAT ROUTE AND PUTTING SCHOOLS LIKE BAMA AND MISSISSIPPI (BOFFUM) OUT OF BUSINESS.

AT SOME POINT ALL THAT MONEY NEEDS TO BE SHARED WITH THE COMMUNITY IT ACTUALLY COMES FROM NOTHING WRONG WITH SHOWING LOVE TO UNIVERSITIES THAT ARE INVESTED IN YOUR COMMUNITY.

PS YA DOG BOUT TO BE ON TV STAY TUNED.

NC A&T has put together a good program for a few years. I think Alcorn had some good staffs.

The problem more so is funding for staffs and S&C PROGRAM AND support staffs when it comes to development.

In the state FAMU was kind of lacking on the recrutment n South Florida. Bethune is /was recruitng solidly.

They dont keep good staff members long enough..if your a good guy at an HBCU your going to jump to an HIGH FCS OR group of 5 wth the quickness. Alot of the TX and GA high school coaches make more than HBCU coaches.

HBCU still have guys making rosters yearly in the NFL so the talent s stll somewhat there...even though ill say it watered down a bit from the late 90s early 2000s

Advertisement
NC A&T has put together a good program for a few years. I think Alcorn had some good staffs.

The problem more so is funding for staffs and S&C PROGRAM AND support staffs when it comes to development.

In the state FAMU was kind of lacking on the recrutment n South Florida. Bethune is /was recruitng solidly.

They dont keep good staff members long enough..if your a good guy at an HBCU your going to jump to an HIGH FCS OR group of 5 wth the quickness. Alot of the TX and GA high school coaches make more than HBCU coaches.

HBCU still have guys making rosters yearly in the NFL so the talent s stll somewhat there...even though ill say it watered down a bit from the late 90s early 2000s
Really hoping FAMU takes that next step this year! We were good in 2019, but Sunshine graduated and we’re breaking in a new QB, so hopefully everything works out. Luckily, Coach Simmons is good with that side of the ball.

Hate losing to overrated BC’s *** every **** year. (Had to be its own paragraph lol)

Always said, let me win one of these massive lottos and FAMU/UM football will be taken care of lol

Advertisement
Both.

That could change very quickly if a number of sports + entertainment figures put serious effort about changing staffing and recruiting to HBCUs for football/basketball. Facilities and fundraisimg will naturally follow.

The chance to be epic legends is right in front of them if they'll take it.

Players need to go to Universities that truly care about them and their future

Not just about what they can do on the field while they're eligible.

Wherever that is....that's where you should go.

Those bags tend to shrivel up and go away soon as you play your last game

Last edited:

Big move and I think this is the first domino. I believe we are about to see a seismic shift in college sports over the next 10-15 years.
I wouldn't say "sports.". They can get away with this in basketball because, honestly, if you're a great player, it doesn't matter where you go to college for one year. But for the rules requiring one year of college under your belt--or a year overseas like Lamelo--these kids would be getting drafted by the league right out of high school. They just gotta keep their heads and their bodies straight for a year and make it happen.

That would never work in football where you are actually expected to grow and develop for three years (especially physically). You pick the wrong college in football and the chances are you are never going to get into the league. There are a lot of exceptions obviously but by and large the league is drafting players from P5 programs, not HBCUs. That could change a little with the Deion Sanders and Eddie George's of the world taking over HBCU programs, but I wouldn't expect a "seismic" or even significant shift from the status quo.

Advertisement
Back