OT - 5 star basketball recruit chooses Howard (HBCU) over UCLA

The Svengali

Sophomore

Big move and I think this is the first domino. I believe we are about to see a seismic shift in college sports over the next 10-15 years.

Advertisement

Big move and I think this is the first domino. I believe we are about to see a seismic shift in college sports over the next 10-15 years.

Doubt he ends o there

"Seismic" seems extreme. He is doing this, according to him, to elevate HBCU programs. I am not sure a significant number of other and future prospects will have the same priority, though some may. Additionally Howard is not equivalent to many other HBCUs; it offers advantages most others can't touch.

Advertisement
Good for him, but I'll believe it when I see him on their campus.

Howard doesn't have the money to keep a kid like that.

Bag dropping is even more insane in hoops than it is in football, and there's just no way that Howard can compete once the real money shows up at the kid's door.

CAVEAT: He is not a USA born and raised kid, so he's less likely to have been corrupted.

"Seismic" seems extreme. He is doing this, according to him, to elevate HBCU programs. I am not sure a significant number of other and future prospects will have the same priority, though some may.
Keep thinking it’s not seismic. The world has changed over the last 2 months. There has been a mindshift, and I think this is just the beginning.

The #1 recruit for 2022 or 2023 says he wants to go to an HBCU too.

These kids are starting to wake up to see the real deal. And I believe many will start understanding the power dynamics in play, and will begin to understand how much they wield (way more than they realize)
With people getting used to a life without sports during COVID, I’m not sure they’ll have the power they once had.

Advertisement
Keep thinking it’s not seismic. The world has changed over the last 2 months. There has been a mindshift, and I think this is just the beginning.

The #1 recruit for 2022 or 2023 says he wants to go to an HBCU too.

I do not think that words means what you think it means, but thanks for your permission to engage in independent thought. You must be very important to grant such opportunity.

Howard doesn't have the money to keep a kid like that.

The reason he is going to college instead of the NBA (he is 19 so he is eligible for the draft) is because he didn't receive a draftable grade from the NBA Draft advisory board. He didn't want to do the GLeague program. Good for him for choosing Howard.

Don't think there will be a massive shift, but likely will see more top 100 prospects choosing HBCUs like more top 100 prospects choosing Ivy League schools. Additionally, Mikey Williams (2023), who is seen as more of a lottery talent than Maker, looks like he will go to HBCU.

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement

Going to be cool IF the HBCU schools are able to get some of the top basketball prospects. I'm not sure about us seeing a "seismic shift" though. I doubt it'll get to that.

P.S. This thread should be moved to the Basketball board.

The reason he is going to college instead of the NBA (he is 19 so he is eligible for the draft) is because he didn't receive a draftable grade from the NBA Draft advisory board. He didn't want to do the GLeague program. Good for him for choosing Howard.

Don't think there will be a massive shift, but likely will see more top 100 prospects choosing HBCUs like more top 100 prospects choosing Ivy League schools.

I've actually been waiting for Harvard to pull a 5 star kid. Seems like Amaker has been knocking on the doors for a few years now and he picked up 4 stars in 2018 and 2019, maybe others, but I can't remember. Also Stanford pulled a 5 star last year but they don't play by the same rules as Ivy League schools, if you consider Stanford "Ivy League".

Advertisement
I've actually been waiting for Harvard to pull a 5 star kid. Seems like Amaker has been knocking on the doors for a few years now and he picked up 4 stars in 2018 and 2019, maybe others, but I can't remember.

You're right he has been knocking at the door but hasn't gotten there yet. Wendell Carter was the closest to choosing Harvard. A team to keep an eye on is Stanford. Stanford producing KZ Okpala and Tyrell Terry hurts Harvard's momentum because players such as Ziare Williams and Isael Silva see they can get an elite education without weakening their competition. Now, Harvard would have to fend off a West Coast elite school along with Duke for the education focused 5 stars.

edit: wrote this post before seeing your edited post

Advertisement
Back