OT - 5 star basketball recruit chooses Howard (HBCU) over UCLA

As much as it seems some of y’all want this to become a thing, it won’t. The vast majority of elite talent won’t play in a high school gym for a nobody coach over K, Cal, and others. The first HBCU to build a legit arena and hire one of the big boy coaches is the only one with a chance to make a dent in anything.

Advertisement

Big move and I think this is the first domino. I believe we are about to see a seismic shift in college sports over the next 10-15 years.

kids gonna go to NBDL. Basketball is different even if he attends he will spend tops 6 months at the school and go pro. It won’t work in football where facilities, exposure and amount of time on a campus will make kids go to big schools.

Usual suspects
tenor.gif

Advertisement
I appreciate the sentiment, but going to HBCUs will cost these kids the massive platforms they could have otherwise.
Call me crazy, but maybe, juuust maybe if enough talented kids go to HBCUs, the major tv networks and apparel distributors, etc. will want to conduct business with those institutions???

Segregation is bad
White students & student/athletes have NEVER been barred from attending HBCUs. Why is it such an abhorrent idea that some of our best athletes attend our schools??? I'm waiting for an answer. I personally believe the same people would also be up in arms if the majority of talented white kids played for HBCUs...

Advertisement
Call me crazy, but maybe, juuust maybe if enough talented kids go to HBCUs, the major tv networks and apparel distributors, etc. will want to conduct business with those institutions???

1. Is there any logical argument against what you just said?
2. This thread began when one poster cited one non binding "decision" as a "seismic" shift. Is there any other evidence to support that enormous change?

The answer to both questions in the same.

I agree with this fully. I think that’s exactly what happens. Major networks and apparel distributors follow the talent. Talent is the currency

Mike Williams, the #1 hoops recruit in 2023says he’s leaning the HBCU route too.

A seismic shift is afoot

Advertisement
Still waiting for that evidence.

It makes sense that you are the self-proclaimed "svengali". If you don't know the definition, that basically means you try to mesmerize/bull**** people. Seems on point here.
Have a beer, man. Lol. You’re spun up and triggered for no reason. Lol

Seismic - having strong or widespread impact....social changes. As in, that 5 stars‘ choice to attend an HBCU will have widespread and lasting impact on the basketball recruiting landscape, in the future .

I ignored you because I assume you were kidding, but then I see you keep bringing it up. You honestly don’t know other uses of that word????

Last edited:
They might. I don’t know. But the fan base is not going to be nearly as large as a big state school, so I doubt they will command as much tv attention unless every top kid goes that route which is doubtful.

These kids can do whatever they want, and I won’t fault them for it. Just seeing it objectively.

Advertisement
How is it a good move?
Great for HBCUs to have talented kids. This generates economic growth for the schools and their surrounding communities. Talented kids will make it to the pros no matter where they go, and if enough go to those schools they can compete athletically with their white counterparts(that are coincidentally lol filled with black talent) as well as financially(TV contracts, advertising, etc.). Three 5 star and 12 4 star kids going to HBCUs won't seem as crazy as a lone 5 star kid. Going to Jackson State didn't keep Walter Payton from becoming Walter Payton...

1. Is there any logical argument against what you just said?
2. This thread began when one poster cited one non binding "decision" as a "seismic" shift. Is there any other evidence to support that enormous change?

The answer to both questions in the same.
(1. Yeah. If an HBCU were able to acquire enough talent to field a consistent Top-10 FBS program, you mean to tell me that they wouldn't be able to attract a wide TV audience(especially in comparison to current times), invitations to P5 conferences, etc.? If your answer is no, please explain it to me.
(2. I never said a "seismic" shift is occurring, it's one kid. But don't take it for granted, especially if he attends HU, plays & is drafted high. It only takes one spark to start a wildfire...

(1. Yeah. If an HBCU were able to acquire enough talent to field a consistent Top-10 FBS program, you mean to tell me that they wouldn't be able to attract a wide TV audience(especially in comparison to current times), invitations to P5 conferences, etc.? If your answer is no, please explain it to me.
(2. I never said a "seismic" shift is occurring, it's one kid. But don't take it for granted, especially if he attends HU, plays & is drafted high. It only takes one spark to start a wildfire...

1. I agreed with your initial post. Please re-read.
2. I did not reference you. I specifically referenced the original post. Please re-read.

So, please re-read. The answer to both questions I posed was "no". I did not realize that was a mystery.

Advertisement
Back