OT - 5 star basketball recruit chooses Howard (HBCU) over UCLA

They might. I don’t know. But the fan base is not going to be nearly as large as a big state school, so I doubt they will command as much tv attention unless every top kid goes that route which is doubtful.

These kids can do whatever they want, and I won’t fault them for it. Just seeing it objectively.
Ok, look at it like this. Think of all of the **** and hole fans across the state who've never set foot on their campuses except for going to doak or griffin. If FAM & BCU were successful FBS schools, you don't think we'd be able to poach a good portion of their fans. I know they'd be able to get many of em who look like me. I'd love to think they can steal some who don't. If not, then there's a deeper issue at hand...

Advertisement
1. I agreed with your initial post. Please re-read.
2. I did not reference you. I specifically referenced the original post. Please re-read.

So, please re-read. The answer to both questions I posed was "no". I did not realize that was a mystery.
Awww **** my man, I just caught that I typed yes. Clearly, no, there is no logical argument against what I said...

Have a beer, man. Lol. You’re spun up and triggered for no reason. Lol

Seismic - having strong or widespread impact....social changes. As in, that 5 stars‘ choice to attend an HBCU will have widespread and lasting impact on the basketball recruiting landscape, in the future .

I ignored you because I assume you were kidding, but then I see you keep bringing it up. You honestly don’t know other uses of that word????

Man, I tried, but you just won't quit. So let's do this using what you just provided:

Seismic - having strong or widespread impact....social changes. As in, that 5 stars‘ choice to attend an HBCU will have widespread and lasting impact on the basketball recruiting landscape, in the future

Got it. I understand definitions and am familiar with that one. This is the only one you present. No idea what you mean by other uses as this is clearly your only intended use. You provided one puff piece from the only kid you could possible cite. Clearly the Svengali has spoken and this is now a done deal, a "seismic" event. It is proven to have "strong and widespread impact" including "social changes". The Svengali has spoken again. We are all mesmerized. But wait, any actual evidence? Right now it is one kid with a non-binding commitment. Have a beer and move on. Come back in 5 years and we can talk.

Advertisement
Ok, look at it like this. Think of all of the **** and hole fans across the state who've never set foot on their campuses except for going to doak or griffin. If FAM & BCU were successful FBS schools, you don't think we'd be able to poach a good portion of their fans. I know they'd be able to get many of em who look like me. I'd love to think they can steal some who don't. If not, then there's a deeper issue at hand...
I get what you mean, but that’s not a quick process. Folks who were raised fans of state schools aren’t switching tomorrow. I’m sure several had family members that attended the state school or they have an allegiance for another reason.

Also, HBCUs are very regional. I don’t think people from the northeast, Midwest, most of Texas, and the west will pay as much attention when they don’t have a local team to root for.

Again, I could be wrong, but that’s just how I see it.

finally. the hbcus need to get top athletes so that they can compete to the point where they get the tv money to build their universities in the same way the black athletes have built up all the the p5 schools.that is the way to bring true institutional change.wealth can formulate policy.secondly the many wealthy black people in the entertainment and sporting world need to build a black owned community banking system. wealth formulates policy.i am tired of all these stars speaking of change,but still selling out to white educational and banking institutions.

You my friend see color. You’re as bad as the other side.

Advertisement
I like it bc it’s gonna start to shift the power in college sports. Spread out the talent so we get some real parody.

Keep thinking it’s not seismic. The world has changed over the last 2 months. There has been a mindshift, and I think this is just the beginning.

The #1 recruit for 2022 or 2023 says he wants to go to an HBCU too.

how many kids say they want to go somewhere but its just in the moment saying ****. Bet neither one of these kids play college ball let alone at HBCU

I get what you mean, but that’s not a quick process. Folks who were raised fans of state schools aren’t switching tomorrow. I’m sure several had family members that attended the state school or they have an allegiance for another reason.

Also, HBCUs are very regional. I don’t think people from the northeast, Midwest, most of Texas, and the west will pay as much attention when they don’t have a local team to root for.

Again, I could be wrong, but that’s just how I see it.
I know it won't be a quick process but it's not an impossible one. Two things to keep in mind. First, most HBCUs have alumni bases that extend across the globe. It's not as regional as you think. Second, very many black people have ancillary attachments to HBCUs like people who root for state schools because a relative or friend attended. The organic fan base wouldn't be as small as you think, and everyone loves a winner so you might be surprised by how many new fans they could gain...

Good for that kid. As I've said for a while, if there's any sport where this can gain traction, it's hoops. The top guys don't stay long anyway. If enough kids go, they will find ways to get those games on television. Let some of the top kids pull a 'Fab 5" and go to an HBCU, I guarantee networks will find ways to televise those games. ****, they televise high school games now. What makes anyone think those college games won't end up being televised. And the thing about hoops that's different from football is the group of kids that go to the HBCU will still get a shot against the big boys because they'll be in the NCAA tourney. Let a Howard Fab 5 eff around and win it all (or even make a deep run) and tell me that won't change the landscape of CBB. This can switch some things up if others join along.

Advertisement
Man, I tried, but you just won't quit. So let's do this using what you just provided:

Seismic - having strong or widespread impact....social changes. As in, that 5 stars‘ choice to attend an HBCU will have widespread and lasting impact on the basketball recruiting landscape, in the future

Got it. I understand definitions and am familiar with that one. This is the only one you present. No idea what you mean by other uses as this is clearly your only intended use. You provided one puff piece from the only kid you could possible cite. Clearly the Svengali has spoken and this is now a done deal, a "seismic" event. It is proven to have "strong and widespread impact" including "social changes". The Svengali has spoken again. We are all mesmerized. But wait, any actual evidence? Right now it is one kid with a non-binding commitment. Have a beer and move on. Come back in 5 years and we can talk.
Ask and ye shall receive.

Over the last 6-7 weeks...in the midst of all the racial friction in America, there has been a loud drumbeat and recurring theme in the black community and all over social media to push this next generation of black athletes in a new direction (and folks are starting to listen). And that theme that’s gaining traction is this:

“White people and many of these institutions have dehumanized you (past and present), don’t really care about you or your community, and as the last 400 years have shown, will own feign interest only if they’re able to get something out of it. So, why kowtow and bring those institutions and stakeholders (coaches, etc) generational wealth off your talents, when you can go to HBCUs to boost your own community with your physical and intellectual gifts (along with the money your talent will bring), while be around people that actually gives a **** about you, your well-being, your community, and things you stand for even if you don’t go pro”.

That, right there, is called a non-zero-sum game. It’s a win for the athlete, a win for the community and a win for the institution.

Since this drumbeat began, Mike Williams the #1 recruit in 2023 announced his desire to attend an HBCU, and now Maker actually pulled the trigger, all within that 6 week window. I think this is just the beginning, and we’re going to see a lot of movement in this direction over the next 10-15 years.

You can call the timing a coincidence or brush it off as “non-bonding agreement” that means diddly squat, but I call that “evidence”. So, to recap, in 6 weeks, the #1 overall recruit in 2023 states he wants to attend and HBCU and called for others to consider it, and now today, a 5 star recruit signed with an HBCU and called for others to do the same.

Hope that clears things up! Now, let me get back to my beer.

Last edited:
I think it’s beautiful.
‘In basketball today a kid who is really good and highly rated can literally go tocollege anywhere and will be seen just as much. The NBA tracks every high school All-American from the moment that list is created. I wish more kids would do this because other than the 50-100k (which I admit is a lot 0f money to most families), where a highly ranked young man plays college ball is irrelevant to the NBA
And some NBA owner and GM will want him BECAUSE he went to Howard. It’s great marketing in 2 years, and a great school.
And figured out by the African kid, not the thousands of American kids who think they have to go to Duke or U.K.

I think its great. Good for this this young man to put his money where his heart is. As a father I would have steered him otherwise but i'm more of an individualist.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back