OT - 5 star basketball recruit chooses Howard (HBCU) over UCLA

The majority of black top football AND basketball athletes should start going to HBCU’s. That conversation has been gaining momentum in the black community over the last couple months, and I think it will be a good move...a win-win

It's the trend right now. But it's one thing to talk about it and another to actually do it. I'm eager to see how this plays out.

Advertisement

Again, I do not think that word means what you think it means. If that is your very best evidence of "seismic" change, then you have no evidence. You just have one kid's current choice and hope. But we shall see what the future holds.

finally. the hbcus need to get top athletes so that they can compete to the point where they get the tv money to build their universities in the same way the black athletes have built up all the the p5 schools.that is the way to bring true institutional change.wealth can formulate policy.secondly the many wealthy black people in the entertainment and sporting world need to build a black owned community banking system. wealth formulates policy.i am tired of all these stars speaking of change,but still selling out to white educational and banking institutions.

Advertisement
You're right he has been knocking at the door but hasn't gotten there yet. Wendell Carter was the closest to choosing Harvard. A team to keep an eye on is Stanford. Stanford producing KZ Okpala and Tyrell Terry hurts Harvard's momentum because players such as Ziare Williams and Isael Silva see they can get an elite education without weakening their competition. Now, Harvard would have to fend off a West Coast elite school along with Duke for the education focused 5 stars.

edit: wrote this post before seeing your edited post

Interesting. Do you think it would hurt a players perception/evaluation to be in the Ivy League? That never occurred to me. I know people refer to strength of schedule and opposition, but do you think that league is perceived as so inferior that it would really be a negative when it comes to pro prospect evaluation? It seems we see that cut both ways most years. You get a Ja Morant and it does not hurt, but you get another guy, in a similar situation, and all you hear about is level of competition.

NCAA Tournament...."out of sight, out of mind". We shall see when the wheels start turning again. There are only a couple of schools that can manage the 1 and out template. HBCU's and Ivy's will continue to get good players that value education and use sports as a fall back.

Interesting. Do you think it would hurt a players perception/evaluation to be in the Ivy League? That never occurred to me. I know people refer to strength of schedule and opposition, but do you think that league is perceived as so inferior that it would really be a negative when it comes to pro prospect evaluation? It seems we see that cut both ways most years. You get a Ja Morant and it does not hurt, but you get another guy, in a similar situation, and all you hear about is level of competition.

Not completely because of how much pre-college scouting goes on and, like you said, did not hurt Ja Morant a bit. Ivy League schools still schedule big games too. Scouts are looking for traits and skillsets which translate no matter the level of competition. Whether that be Ja's athleticism or Trey Lance's accuracy (North Dakota State qb). Similarly Grant Riller, a point guard from Charleston, is rising up draft boards. Didn't matter much for Dame or CJ.

What I do believe is that Wendell Carter considered Duke playing UNC and making a Final Four when making his decision. Playing on TV, legacy of Duke lottery picks, playing in front of a rabid fanbase, playing with other future NBA players, playing against other future NBA players, etc. That stuff hurts Harvard's chances against Duke/Stanford more than the level of competition hurts an elite prospect's chance of getting drafted high.

Advertisement
Not completely because of how much pre-college scouting goes on and, like you said, did not hurt Ja Morant a bit. Ivy League schools still schedule big games too. Scouts are looking for traits and skillsets which translate no matter the level of competition. Whether that be Ja's athleticism or Trey Lance's accuracy (North Dakota State qb). Similarly Grant Riller, a point guard from Charleston, is rising up draft boards. Didn't matter much for Dame or CJ.

What I do believe is that Wendell Carter considered Duke playing UNC and making a Final Four when making his decision. Playing on TV, legacy of Duke lottery picks, playing in front of a rabid fanbase, playing with other future NBA players, playing against other future NBA players, etc. That stuff hurts Harvard's chances against Duke/Stanford more than the level of competition hurts an elite prospect's chance of getting drafted high.

Agreed. thanks for you time.

Yeah, fu***** facts, logic, and actual critical thinking.....much better to just talk out the ***.
Fear tactics, fake outrage, and using a single anecdotal view as fact. Yep, you're right they're definitely talking out of that smelly *******...

Advertisement
The majority of black top football AND basketball athletes should start going to HBCU’s. That conversation has been gaining momentum in the black community over the last couple months, and I think it will be a good move...a win-win
How is it a good move?

Big move and I think this is the first domino. I believe we are about to see a seismic shift in college sports over the next 10-15 years.
Highly doubt it tbh

Advertisement
Good for him, but I'll believe it when I see him on their campus.

Howard doesn't have the money to keep a kid like that.

Bag dropping is even more insane in hoops than it is in football, and there's just no way that Howard can compete once the real money shows up at the kid's door.

CAVEAT: He is not a USA born and raised kid, so he's less likely to have been corrupted.

Howard has alumni like Puff Daddy if he wants a piece and get involved in sports ..bags can be dropped if need be...clothing deals, ciroc, etc

"Seismic" seems extreme. He is doing this, according to him, to elevate HBCU programs. I am not sure a significant number of other and future prospects will have the same priority, though some may. Additionally Howard is not equivalent to many other HBCUs; it offers advantages most others can't touch.
Bingo!

Good for him, but I'll believe it when I see him on their campus.

Howard doesn't have the money to keep a kid like that.

Bag dropping is even more insane in hoops than it is in football, and there's just no way that Howard can compete once the real money shows up at the kid's door.

CAVEAT: He is not a USA born and raised kid, so he's less likely to have been corrupted.
Maybe. But let's suppose this scenario is in place and the one and done rule still applies...

The next Lebron James is in high school. A generational talent.

The next Lebron James knows...and his handlers know...that he'll be the first pick in the draft when he joins the NBA in one year. He'll have the money that goes with that pick.

The next Lebron James knows...and his handlers know...that he'll have a gigantic shoe deal in place when he joins the NBA in one year. Money that dwarfs the NBA contract.

With that in mind, what does the bag competition really matter? So why not go to the school that you truly want to go to for the next six months?

Let me preface this by saying I have no idea what's in this kid's head or heart but from a PURELY marketing standpoint (and specific to him) this could end being a very smart move- especially in the current societal climate.

This kid spurns the big boys, goes the HBCU route, is active publicly on the social justice front AND gets drafted high? He'll have his pick of shoe endorsements and manyyyyy other $$$.

Advertisement
Back