Orlando

Advertisement
We used to compete for the very best Orlando kids. Horace Copeland and Kennard Lang were two examples.

Lol at Orlando not Gator Country...It most certainly is.....UFs two biggest and wealthiest Boosters resides in Orlando...(John Morgan & Stumpy Harris...the latter was President of the UF Booster's for 20yrs)..Only a fool thinks Orlando isn't Gator country....and Sanford is not practically Orlando...not even close...Apopka as well....
Still we used to recruit there and pulled some top recruits. Like Kennard.

Let’s hope kenard Lang does at Evan’s what he was building at jones. He was doing something special and the wheels fell off, everyone wanted him to succeed up here. Evan’s sent him, an online that played a ton in coral gables, Searsy and Copeland. All during the good gator and Seminole years. We have elite talent up here. The good thing we have strong UM alum here as well.
Forgot Searcy. Believe it or mot, he was a great prospect but not a well-known national recruit, at least as far as the recruiting publications. I don’t know how long he lived in Orlando, his family was originally from Maryland.

Advertisement
I remember. When I lived in St Pete they had a small office in the Tampa area (not sure where - maybe a Clearwater) and had a billboard or two in the area. Colling and Gilbert stayed together following the split. Morgan was generating the business, and the other two did all the heavy lifting on the cases.
I was reading some stuff the other day on Horace Broadnax, a Florida boy on the Georgetown basketball NC team back in the ‘80’s. Broadnax practiced law at a firm in central Florida that split up. This was between coaching stints. He is now coaching again. I think this was the firm. I’m trying to find the article now.

EDIT: Yep. I was right.

https://onnidan.com/04-05/news/april/savn0409.htm

Still we used to recruit there and pulled some top recruits. Like Kennard.
He is one guy...and a few others...Nowhere in my posts did I said to "Stop" recruiting there...so I have absolutely no idea about your comment, and quite frankly, has nothing to do about the topic at hand...Butch & Chuck recruited there alot....but that was at a time where Probation hampered the staff considerably in that area...Lang was an Erickson kid....Not to reiterate, but my comment about Orlando being a Gator Town is 100% fact....Copeland...Lang...Sapp...and Searcy came when we WEREN'T down 31 schollies...No TV...No Bwl game and public scorn....all of them besides Searcy were Erickson kids.

All true, but ALSO at the time, Morgan was racking up DUIs, he had his license revoked at one time, and even today, he usually uses a driver instead of driving his own car.

I've seen him around Orlando many times, used to see him and his midget family out at restaurants all the time.
Not true....he's had his license back for 3yrs...he lost it because of ONE DUI..and punching a Casselberry police officer....Ive sat with him COUNTLESS times at Wally's over the yrs....

Advertisement
Sorry K....I absolutely do not agree with that.....No way on the face of this earth is Orlando only 25% Gators....you live in Seminole County, ....not Orange county....Orange county is and has been Gator territory since the beginning of time...Even Legendary Citrus Baron and Philanthropist Dr. Phillips was a HUGE Gator guy....20% UM fans in Orlando??...Not on this Green earth...

First, I was being (somewhat) humorous with my percentages, in service of the joke. Gaytors have the edge (it's a plurality, not a majority), and I do not deny that some of the big-money jag-offs are Gaytors.

Orange County "Gaytors" are a dwindling number, so many kids are growing up and following the "national champs" at UCF, and going to UCF. You and I will run into Gaytors out at the bars watching football (they don't have nice homes to go to), but I assure you, the Gaytor majority in Orlando has dropped off substantially.

Second, for the love of God, CHANGE YOUR LOG-IN NAME BACK!!!

Orlando is smelly trash for football recruits.

Sure, there are always kids who buck the trend, but it's the main reason I was so down on Lingard. **** near every kid who comes out of there is a massive flop. I have zero idea as to why, but it is what it is. Once i saw he was from Orlando it was a wrap for me.

First, I was being (somewhat) humorous with my percentages, in service of the joke. Gaytors have the edge (it's a plurality, not a majority), and I do not deny that some of the big-money jag-offs are Gaytors.

Orange County "Gaytors" are a dwindling number, so many kids are growing up and following the "national champs" at UCF, and going to UCF. You and I will run into Gaytors out at the bars watching football (they don't have nice homes to go to), but I assure you, the Gaytor majority in Orlando has dropped off substantially.

Second, for the love of God, CHANGE YOUR LOG-IN NAME BACK!!!
@RVACane gave me 1 week notice to change it, or it'd be a Violation of my CIS Probation....and God only knows I don't want any trouble...

Forgot Searcy. Believe it or mot, he was a great prospect but not a well-known national recruit, at least as far as the recruiting publications. I don’t know how long he lived in Orlando, his family was originally from Maryland.

Leon is one year younger than me. He went to Evans High School (family moved to Orlando when Leon was in middle school) which is one of the closest Orange County high schools to my alma mater, Lake Brantley (Evans, Edgewater, and Apopka are the 3 closest high schools, Wekiva wasn't built yet at the time, so it's a high-quality football area). Lake Brantley used to play all those Orange County schools in football, and Evans is near the bustling Orlando suburb of Crime Hills. Leon did not play until his senior year of HS (my freshman year at UM) because his mother wanted him to raise his GPA first, so I never got a chance to see Leon play in HS. Also, and this will make @caneinorlando and/or @SWFLHurricane happy, Leon was coached by Bill Gierke at Evans.

Anyhow, before my dad got a job at Disney, he worked at the Orlando Airport with Leon's dad. I remember my dad telling me that he talked to Leon's dad about Leon being recruited during the 1986 football season, and I thought it was weird because Miami was so good and Leon had just started to play football. Leon's best offers besides UM were FAMU and Grambling (cue the cheers from the pro-HBCU crowd!).

So, yeah, whatever the UM coaches were doing to scout kids was AMAZING back in the JJ/Butch days.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Orlando is smelly trash for football recruits.

Sure, there are always kids who buck the trend, but it's the main reason I was so down on Lingard. **** near every kid who comes out of there is a massive flop. I have zero idea as to why, but it is what it is. Once i saw he was from Orlando it was a wrap for me.
True....The Searcy's...Copelands...Sapp's etc...came when there was no Probation in sight....But once 1995 rolled along...we were literally bypassed...No Central Fl kids wanted to come to UM, and have to deal with Sanctions...No TV or Bowl for a yr...and public scorn....Add in Marlin Barnes Murder, coupled with Time Magazine calling Miami worst place to live in Fl...and it was a wrap...Legendary Central Fl HS FB Coach Bill Gierke told me Butch...Chuck and several others on staff recruited Central Fl alot, unfortunately to no avail...

Leon is one year younger than me. He went to Evans High School (family moved to Orlando a few years before Leon signed with UM, before Leon enrolled at Evans) which is one of the closest Orange County high schools to my alma mater, Lake Brantley (Evans, Edgewater, and Apopka are the 3 closest high schools, Wekiva wasn't built yet at the time, so it's a high-quality football area). Lake Brantley used to play all those Orange County schools in football, and Evans is near the bustling Orlando suburb of Crime Hills. Leon did not play until his senior year of HS (my freshman year at UM) because his mother wanted him to raise his GPA first, so I never got a chance to see Leon play in HS. Also, and this will make @caneinorland and/or @SWFLHurricane happy, Leon was coached by Bill Gierke at Evans.

Anyhow, before my dad got a job at Disney, he worked at the Orlando Airport with Leon's dad. I remember my dad telling me that he talked to Leon's dad about Leon being recruited during the 1986 football season, and I thought it was weird because Miami was so good and Leon had just started to play football. Leon's best offers besides UM were FAMU and Grambling (cue the cheers from the pro-HBCU crowd!).

So, yeah, whatever the UM coaches were doing to scout kids was AMAZING back in the JJ/Butch days.
I shopped at the same Publix as Coach Gierke for 15yrs...and spoke numerous times to him about Butch and Chuck....

Not true....he's had his license back for 3yrs...he lost it because of ONE DUI..and punching a Casselberry police officer....Ive sat with him COUNTLESS times at Wally's over the yrs....

OK, we've been in COVID for over a year, I haven't seen him in a few years. Congrats to John for getting his license back. And for the record, he may only have one DUI CONVICTION, but he was pulled over numerous times back in the day and was cut a few breaks due to his name. And that info comes from guys who used to work with John. For the record, I do like the guy, I make jokes about his shrimpy family, but I have enjoyed chatting with him before.

Colling, Gilbert is still around, though Colling has passed away.

Advertisement
OK, we've been in COVID for over a year, I haven't seen him in a few years. Congrats to John for getting his license back. And for the record, he may only have one DUI CONVICTION, but he was pulled over numerous times back in the day and was cut a few breaks due to his name. And that info comes from guys who used to work with John. For the record, I do like the guy, I make jokes about his shrimpy family, but I have enjoyed chatting with him before.

Colling, Gilbert is still around, though Colling has passed away.
Im well aware...I knew the entire family...Sat with John countless times at Wally's...

Then @RVACane needs to change HIS name, since he no longer lives in Richmond!!!
I’d constantly be changing my name. Richmond is the longest place I stayed in my adult life and I’m potentially about to move to my 3rd city since then.

Your name becomes your brand here. The only change I’ve ever made was from RVACane to RVA Cane with a space and then back.

Advertisement
Back